Does Saxon food matter?

(172 Posts)
learnandsay Mon 31-Dec-12 10:21:01

When I can I take my daughter to historical re-enactments. We haven't been to many yet and those that we have been to she hasn't liked much, except parts of Norwich castle.) The Viking one that we went to recently had open fires and the smoke got in her eyes. Then men with chain-mail and heavy shields fought and she asked if we could go home! But she did seem to absorb lots of details about their clothes, their food, their cooking methods and so on. So, even though she claimed not to have liked it I think that trip was worth it. Thinking about King Alfred makes me think of Saxon food. But in practice it seems so similar to Viking food that it doesn't seem worth making a special effort to visit such a re-enactment. Would this be fair? My daughter is very young. I think perhaps we'll visit Winchester when she's older. But for now we'll read about Sutton Hoo, (maybe visit) but beyond that will leave the Saxons alone.

Mrsrudolphduvall Mon 31-Dec-12 10:56:58

I thought it was a wind up but op is established poster.

It could be the strangest post of the day.

insancerre Mon 31-Dec-12 10:57:23

Sometimes when you get a tiny glimpse into other people's minds it can be terrifying.
Good luck with the teenage years, think you're going to need it.

learnandsay Mon 31-Dec-12 10:57:29

CanIhave, what do you mean about difficulties myself?

Mrsrudolphduvall Mon 31-Dec-12 10:57:35

bazinga you have my vote for most numorous poster today

Mrsrudolphduvall Mon 31-Dec-12 10:57:50

Humorous even.

Bazinga12 Mon 31-Dec-12 10:59:45

Thanks Rudolph, I'm feeling rather numerous today

TheNebulousBoojum Mon 31-Dec-12 11:00:22

'CanIhave, what do you mean about difficulties myself?'

Well, my Aspie is the history obsessive, so no detail or activity is too much for him if it fits with his focused interests. You seem blinkered and unaware of what your DD might actually enjoy.

CanIHaveAPetGiraffePlease Mon 31-Dec-12 11:00:49

I don't think its a wind up. Have you seen the multiple posts wrt teaching her child to read?

My armchair psychologist view would be that she is intelligent and capable and putting all her energies into 'project educate child.'

RubbishCrackerPuller Mon 31-Dec-12 11:02:05

Most.Favourite.Mumsnet.Thread.EVER.

learnandsay Mon 31-Dec-12 11:02:14

On the whole I think she enjoys indoor things more. She loves museums.

SetPhasersTaeMalkie Mon 31-Dec-12 11:02:28

Does Saxon food matter?

No.

Your daughter is not old enough. She is not enjoying it. Why would you do it?

fuzzpig Mon 31-Dec-12 11:02:38

Aww bazinga, I'm so sorry you lacked a decent education sad how inconsiderate of your parents not to teach you such things.

TheNebulousBoojum Mon 31-Dec-12 11:05:39

Saxon food can be yummy, we often cook and eat historical meals here and had a Tudor Christmas.
It's one of the aspects that my allergic-to-history child enjoys.
But really, OP. Variety.

I think I'm agreeing with CanIhave here. It looks very much like the OP has gone into education overkill.

I think there is a reason so many other countries leave things like formal education to an older age and yet are still ahead of the UK in the education league tables.

At the age of four I think learning through play should really be the main thing.

TheSecondComing Mon 31-Dec-12 11:07:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheNebulousBoojum Mon 31-Dec-12 11:08:17
SetPhasersTaeMalkie Mon 31-Dec-12 11:08:24

DS loves museums but mainly for the gift shop.

learnandsay Mon 31-Dec-12 11:09:40

Wow! thenebulous. Thanks.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 31-Dec-12 11:10:09

OP - 'does Saxon food matter'.

No. Not even slightly. Not at any age unless you're studying that period at degree or postgrad level. A child may find it interesting - in the same way all sorts of things are interesting. The Roman thing you mention sounds great and age appropriate. But even there - no-one actually needs to know what people did pre-Andrex.

Take kids to re-enactments, medieval fairs etc if you all find them fun. Take them to museums, historical sites etc if you all enjoy them. Whatever you do don't overdo your own pet passion if your kid is reluctant (my DH turned DD right off geology for a while - fortunately I think geography teacher at a more appropriate age has mended that)

garlicbaubles Mon 31-Dec-12 11:12:01

Thinking about King Alfred makes me think of Saxon food.

Oh, me too! The name Alfred always brings round spelt loaves and flagons of mead to mind. So does the name Cnut, though it has to be said one rarely meets a Cnut these days, except as a typo. I think your point is very sound, OP, there is insufficient difference between Fred's food and Cnut's cuisine to enthrall a four-year-old. Take her swimming instead.

learnandsay Mon 31-Dec-12 11:14:27

grimma, I think there's something in what you're saying that I'm trying to get to. I'm not sure that anybody actually needs to know anything about history, do they? I mean couldn't we junk it entirely?

But Horrible Histories is on to something. You can make history great fun.

Mrsrudolphduvall Mon 31-Dec-12 11:15:22

The gift shop is invariably the best bit about museums.
And the cafe.

I have a degree in history, but am bored to death by most museums. I have never taken mine to one apart from the Imperial War Museum, which is fab.

garlicbaubles Mon 31-Dec-12 11:16:44

Have you been to Jorvik? They do lots of child-friendly things smile

learnandsay Mon 31-Dec-12 11:19:32

Interesting, garlic. Thanks.

SetPhasersTaeMalkie Mon 31-Dec-12 11:19:36

Yes you can make history fun, but you aren't doing that. By your own admission your daughter is not enjoying these activities.

There is a whole lot of middle ground between investigating Saxon food and 'junking' history altogether.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now