3+ 4+ 5+ 7+ support thread 2013

(317 Posts)
mumteacher Wed 19-Dec-12 22:26:41

I have had a number of messages asking if I have any spaces in my classes. I'm really sorry but I have been at full capacity for some time now.

However, I do appreciate that this is a very stressful time of year for parents who have children sitting these private school assessments in January 2013. So, I'm hoping that by setting up this support group thread I can help by answering some questions you have about these assessments.

Hopefully this thread will also contain some useful insight from the experiences of parents who have already been through the process.

diva100 Tue 03-Sep-13 22:00:09

Hi mumteacher,

I have just come across your posts as I am seeking help/advice regarding the 7+.My daughter will be sitting for 2 schools-Bute house and Latymer prep in January. She attends a state school and I have been working with her so far, but I fear I may be letting her down without tutoring. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank hou.

mumteacher Wed 04-Sep-13 00:09:02

Teajunky is your DD sitting school assessments? It's unclear from your post.

TeaJunky Wed 04-Sep-13 12:36:23

Oops sorry! yes she will be next year hopefully...

MrRected Wed 04-Sep-13 12:41:50

I am overseas. This thread makes me feel queasy. Assessing 3&4 year olds? WTAF?

TeaJunky Wed 04-Sep-13 13:31:48

hmm Perhaps you shouldn't be living over the sea if you feel queasy m'dear grin

mumteacher Thu 05-Sep-13 00:13:28

Teajunky too funny!

A child can pick up phonics quickly it really doesn't take long but once they have the sounds under their belt it's about using them to build/ read words which takes a lot longer to achieve. Your Dd DOB will determine how 'reading ready' she'll need to be by the time the assessments come round.

Games:
I spy
Lets see how many things we can find in the kitchen/play room beginning with the sound....
The Montessori app is also great.

Just talking about weather (for example) isn't enough. Draw/paint/colour pictures of different weather/seasons.
Collect all the things you would need on a summers day and put them in one corner of the room - using the four corners of the room for the four seasons.
Maybe dress dolls in different outfits suited for different weather.
What do different animals do in cold/hot weather?
How is the food cycle (harvest..)relate to weather? plant seeds, cress is great because it is quick to grow and then of course you can use it in a meal.

When learning is fun and 'hands on' it's not so easily forgotten.

TweebSha Thu 05-Sep-13 11:42:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mumof2funones Thu 05-Sep-13 15:41:50

mumteacher- I have read your advice and think that you are kind hearted parent who is helping those of us who just want the best for our kids.

My daughter is at St Helens, she got through the assessments with very little prep from me. She is a wilful and stubborn child, but incredibly bright and bores easily. She is quite happy there albeit that there are times I wonder if a mixed school would have been more appropriate. I didn't sit her for 4+ assessments at nlc and habs, but I am sitting her for 5+ at habs. Any help/advice would be really appreciated. She is very strong minded, so any coaching has to seem like it was her idea! She is very independent, and in many ways too much so.

My son is now due to sit his assessments for the st.johns/northwood prep/st martins trio. My concerns are that whilst he is quite bright, he does not like to share nor listen to instructions. Competition appears to be rampant, with what I understand is a "bumper" boys year... what can I do to help him?

many thanks!

mumof2funones Thu 05-Sep-13 16:02:48

and is it too late to get him some coaching...?

twinsgogo Thu 05-Sep-13 22:19:33

Hi Mumteacher
how can I get in touch with you offline?

mumteacher Sat 07-Sep-13 00:08:04

Mumof2funones have pm'd you.

mumteacher Mon 09-Sep-13 22:42:02

Twinsgogo have pm'd you.

september10 Tue 17-Sep-13 10:00:47

hi mumteacher. how can i get in touch with you offline? i have a 3yr old daughter

mumteacher Tue 17-Sep-13 23:39:14

September10 have pm'd you x

dGorgeous Wed 18-Sep-13 11:12:54

Hi mumteacher, I want to prepare my son for Habs 5+ and he is currently in reception (April baby). Are the bond 5-6 books good for preparations? I I checked the content of the bond books and they look so advanced for his age.

I will appreciate if you PM me on how to contact you privately.

mumteacher Fri 20-Sep-13 21:55:20

Have pm'd you dgorgeous

Nickname99 Tue 08-Oct-13 16:27:25

I happened on this thread while searching for something else. I don't have children of this age group and I have to admit to being shocked at the level of preparation/tuition for school exams talked about for some very little children. Tuition has been rife for 11+ for years, but 3+??

Having worked until recently for 8 years at one of the North London Girls' School Consortium schools mentioned in some of the comments, I can only say that some of the advice given here is definitely not correct. I can't comment on all inaccuracies, but what I would say is - yes, independent schools do not recommend tuition for their pupils - but they don't say this because "they have to say that don't they" - they say it because pupils at independent schools really don't need extra tuition. They're taught well and they achieve good results without it. Extra tuition can heap too much pressure on children.

The only other thing I'd say is - some of the parents on here sound desperate to get their children into one or other particular school, to the extent of getting tutoring for a 2 or 3 year old. Please be aware that - yes, there are many children at top North London independent schools being tutored on top of their school work, there are also a lot of children at these same schools who develop anxiety complexes, eating disorders and self-harming regimes. Although I worked at an independent school my children went to a state primary and a state comprehensive in outer London. One went on to Oxford and the other is currently undertaking a PhD at Imperial. It's not the end of the world if your child doesn't go to one of these very academic schools - with a solid, supportive, loving home background they can achieve anything (though I have to say that if they go to a comprehensive you may well have to get them some extra tutoring to cover the syllabus.

mumteacher Thu 10-Oct-13 23:13:47

I had a meeting with the Head teacher of a top London school last week and tutoring young children was on the agenda. The head explained that they didn't want children so young tutored. I asked if they could tell if a child had been tutored. The head said yes they could "every time". Which then led me to question why they take these tutored children on? If the school was so anti tutoring at this young age surely they should reflect that when making their selection. The Head was unable to elaborate..!

Nickname99 8 children in my daughters year are tutored. 5 out of choice and 3 on the schools recommendation. These 3 have been tutored out of school in a group. I know this because it was suggested to us by the school that my daughter would do well to join this group. We declined as we believe that like you say the teaching in the school should be enough but clearly it's not and when the school asks for extra support to be available out school most parent oblige.

hwjm1945 Fri 11-Oct-13 16:03:58

Hi
My two are sitting for St Albans Girls and St Ftancis' Letwchworth, for Sept 2014 entry into y5 and y4
Whihc BOND books do I use?

7-8 for one and 8-9 for the other? or abvoe?

Tableforfour Fri 11-Oct-13 20:59:00

I don't get this "tutoring is evil" attitude. All private schools take from "feeder" nurseries, where they essentially practise (or you could call it tutor.....) for the assessments all day every day from the September beforehand. What's the difference between that and a weekend tutor once a week?

Mummyoftheyear Fri 11-Oct-13 22:15:05

What a helpful post. Thank you.

Mummyoftheyear Fri 11-Oct-13 22:30:35

I'm a tutor, too. Happy to add my own top tips smile

Schmedz Sat 12-Oct-13 16:07:15

Nickname99 you are not alone!

What competitive madness has overtaken parenting when it is felt 'necessary' to prepare and bribe children to behave in a certain manner for the purposes of entering a particular institution?

mumteacher Sun 13-Oct-13 02:11:35

Mumoftheyear welcome aboard (the thread )! ;) As the assessments draw nearer it'll be great for parents to get your top tips x

Schmedz there is a more appropriate thread about the merits or not of tutoring young children that I started around the same time as this one.

I'm hoping this thread can still maintain its initial outlook to help support parents with advice from tutors and parents who have survived the journey! X

Mummyoftheyear Sun 13-Oct-13 07:52:05

;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now