Lloyd Williamson School

(12 Posts)
tom50 Tue 11-Dec-12 08:51:17

Does anyone know this school in Ladbroke Grove, or know anyone who goes there? I can't find a single review by a parent or comment on it anywhere. woudl really appreciate any thoughts anyone has on it.

(I'm not referring to the nursery - someone has reviewed that here).

tom50 Tue 11-Dec-12 17:19:13

anyone?

Muminwestlondon Thu 07-Feb-13 12:26:49

I previously had a child there and I would not recommend it. You are welcome to PM me if you are still around. There are better private schools in the area and if you are in RBKC, all the primary schools are good and many are outstanding.

CCWest Fri 01-Mar-13 21:52:07

Hi muminwestl

CCWest Fri 01-Mar-13 21:54:36

Hi muminwestlondon - I would very very interested to hear your thoughts and views please as I am considering it for my daughter. Is it possible for you to send me your thoughts please.

LWSparent Sat 02-Mar-13 06:36:55

Generally I would be wary of schools who are run by a sole proprietor. Any criticism however minor was met with an hysterical reaction. Parents who desperately wanted to keep their kids there because of SN etc were constantly walking on eggshells.

We experienced some pretty appalling teaching - most teachers are unqualified. The worst school in Brent probably has better teaching. We also experienced bullying from a particular member of staff. Basically the school is not going to attract good staff because it cannot afford to pay them.

It is a bit cheaper than the other independents in the area but that is it. There are lots of good independent and state schools in the area. Don't waste your money on this one.

Please feel free to PM if you have specific Q but I would not recommend it to my worst enemy. BTW the Ladbroke Grove site belongs to a developer and has planning permission for a block of flats.

Havana2013 Mon 24-Jun-13 14:27:38

Hello, I also had a child at this school, and as with most things there are pros and cons. I was most disturbed to hear about the teacher bullying incident. Could someone elaborate?
Did prospective new parents join, or chose a different school? As the fees have increased, there is little incentive I hear from others.

Mummybubble1 Fri 23-Aug-13 16:25:02

I currently have children at this school and I have to say that I am surprised at the above comment thread.
My youngest started in the nursery at the Notting Hill Gate site 6 years ago and as a single mum who works full time, I was so, so happy to find a nursery that seemed to care for my child in the way that I would have were I at home. Staff were both professional and warm and, right from the start, took great interest in how he developed both personally and academically.
When he reached Reception age, we moved to the Ladbroke Grove site to attend the main school and for my youngest to start the Nursery up there and we have never been less than completely happy with all aspects of school life. All the teachers that have taught my children have been not only fully qualified and highly rated by Ofsted, but also incredibly caring and interested in the individual needs of the child. I have never heard any parent talk about bullying from teachers either and, if this were the case, I have full confidence in the co-principals ability to deal with things like that. They are approachable, reasonable and professional. This school has a brilliant attitude to the education of its children. Go and see the school for yourself, talk to the teachers and there will be plenty of parents willing to talk to you about how happy they are with the care and education of their children.
Finally, the comment about the site being developed into a block of flats is utter rubbish and should be ignored.

williamjameson Mon 26-Aug-13 18:52:34

My grand Daughter is thriving at Lloyd Williamson School. I spoke to the Principal after reading one review. It is absolutely not true that the staff are unqualified. It is also untrue that the school is to be developed. In fact there are 3 sites, none are for development.
I know of no bullying which with the kindly gentle pastoral care that I have witnessed seems most improbable.
I met and spoke to many parents, several from overseas. All were impressed at the standard of education and the happiness they found.
I find it to be a very different and most enlightened place.

sanam2010 Mon 26-Aug-13 20:49:53

Amazing, two glowing reviews from first time posters after all the complaints!

LWSparent Tue 27-Aug-13 07:23:07

Re the planning - check the RBKC planning portal if you don't believe me. Last PP in 2010. As the proprietor is well aware there was also a plan for a development incorporating a school. Point is the building does not belong to the school, is an ex NHS clinic and will be redeveloped at some point. RBKC are good at finding accommodation but even they are running out of sites.

Re the education - I hope things have improved but at the time my child was there, a school admin assistant was teaching languages. Spanish lessons were taught from photocopies of an American book and the children were even taught the wrong genders for everyday items in French. Maths was self teaching out of a Schofield and Sims book.

Other gems; how about the barefoot Latin teacher who was seen by a parent lying drunk outside a pub in Notting Hill Gate (he was sacked) or the school secretary whose kids were at the school and held up as an exemplar family who hurriedly emigrated with HMRC on her trail.

I am not lying about bullying - it happened to my family and was devastating.

carylK Tue 15-Oct-13 22:53:18

I am very surprised by these kinds of comments about a school where lots of happy children flourish. The focus is on helping nurture interesting individuals, within small classes. We have only had a really positive experience at the school which has a warm atmosphere and as far as we have experienced, a very high quality of teachers.

There are so many variables when it comes to individual experiences, and when it comes to the most important criteria, this school has proven to be very special – in a good way. Sure it could be a bit tidier, and the admin system could be slicker, but when it comes to the warmth, positivity, academic achievements and kind support from all the staff, especially Emma Cole in the office, it has been heads and shoulders above any other school we've looked into or had first-hand experience of in London.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now