Names of letters, is this right??

(62 Posts)
IWipeArses Thu 06-Dec-12 22:17:16

DS has learnt that an 's' is a' sssss' and an 'S' is an 'Ess'. If you see what I mean.

So upper case (capital) letters are said as the name of the letter, but a lower case letter is the "sound" it makes.

This is bollocks surely?

blackcoffee Thu 06-Dec-12 23:08:32

except it's the letter 'ay' that sounds like a!

blackcoffee Thu 06-Dec-12 23:09:56

no sh is a digraph
a_e as in your example of cape is a split digraph

IWipeArses Thu 06-Dec-12 23:10:15

But the letter 'a' can sound like 'ay' too.

blackcoffee Thu 06-Dec-12 23:11:51

too right it can! what year is ds in?
the a sound is taught to begin with and the alternative sounds later on

learnandsay Thu 06-Dec-12 23:12:22

Iwipe-me-arse, cap, cape

these are different. There is a Latin ending of ae, which one might choose to represent a digraph. If one chooses that method one might describe cape as a split digraph. (Although I would not do this for various reasons.) I would describe the final e in the word cape as a magic e. (Split digraphs are useful. There is no doubt about that. But they do not work all of the time.)

IWipeArses Thu 06-Dec-12 23:12:32

But when the child is spelling the word cape, they're being taught to say cu-ah-pu-eh

blackcoffee Thu 06-Dec-12 23:13:42

not in my class learn and say confused
it's c, split digraph a-e, (ay) p

IWipeArses Thu 06-Dec-12 23:15:12

He's in Reception.

blackcoffee Thu 06-Dec-12 23:15:30

Latin ending of ae has nothing to do with it - in any case that is pronounced ee!

learnandsay Thu 06-Dec-12 23:16:17

But where else do you see the digraph ae?

blackcoffee Thu 06-Dec-12 23:16:47

sorry, I meant Arses
I haven't come near split digraphs yet, am still on Phase 3, but would not teach it like that

blackcoffee Thu 06-Dec-12 23:17:49

split digraph
a_e pronounced ay
bake, cake, shake, mate, rate loads of 'em

LilRosiesMum Thu 06-Dec-12 23:18:07

Yes my DD learned about "a split e" (as in cape) and also they learn "sh" and "th" as a phonic that is different to t or s or h; they go through the many exceptions once they've got the hang of it. These phonic things really worked for my DD, she can read brilliantly; and now I'm seeing the magic working again on my DS (in reception). Don't know about different names for capitals or lowercase, round here they only really concentrate on the sound of the letters.

learnandsay Thu 06-Dec-12 23:19:48

That's not what I asked. I didn't ask where do you come across the split digraph. I asked where do you come across the (unsplit) digraph ae?

blackcoffee Thu 06-Dec-12 23:24:01

well nowhere in Reception learn grin - why would you?
as you say it can be a Latin ending - puellae (poo -ell- ee) or indeed be found at the beginning of words - Aesop - but this doesn't tend to form the main thurst of teaching hmm

IWipeArses Thu 06-Dec-12 23:25:00

The problem with doing things systematically at school is that they can't read things at home.
For instance we had 'Oh Floppy!' home from school, and he sounded out Floppy as 'ff-l-oh-pu-pu-yuh' because they hadn't learnt about the letter y making any other sounds.
Now they have learnt that y is yummy, so at the start of a word it's 'yuh' and at the end it's 'ee', and then we were reading one of his story books and came across the word fly. confused

So by telling them a y is yuh, they then have to relearn this several times.

I've been reading ABC by Dr. Seuss to him for two years, and he's learnt at school that c is 'cuh', so am I confusing him with the 'camel on the ceiling'?

TeamSledward Thu 06-Dec-12 23:25:03

I was told by LEA literacy consultant that "magic e" should not be taught. Split digraph a_e is the way to do it.
Arses, a child would not learn to spell cape as cu-ah-puh-eh. They would be taught that the word has three sounds/phonemes (cu-ay-puh) and these sounds are represented by four letters.

blackcoffee Thu 06-Dec-12 23:28:02

Arses the books are a whole other thread
I am embarrassed about some of the books sent home by our school in the recent past
Do chat to the teacher about your concerns. Good luck!

IWipeArses Thu 06-Dec-12 23:28:33

When do they learn about the split digraph a_e? Because until they do, the only way they can sound it out is to say each letter sound.

blackcoffee Thu 06-Dec-12 23:28:51

thrust, even
bangs head

IWipeArses Thu 06-Dec-12 23:29:09

I'll ask tomorrow.

loubielou31 Thu 06-Dec-12 23:39:21

Go and speak to your DS's teacher.
When your son wants to read a word like cape say "In this word these two letters (and point the the a-e) are the sound ay" So you sound out c ay p, cape.
The phonics method when taught well means that children learn these diagraphs really quickly when and if they are ready for it, and up until that point you just need to point out the quirks of the English language when they crop up in books.

sashh Fri 07-Dec-12 03:39:23

They did that when I was learning to read - er 1970 ish.

mirai Fri 07-Dec-12 04:04:56

What's wrong with magic e? The kids understand it and it works!

Lougle Fri 07-Dec-12 06:49:28

Magic e doesn't work all the time, though.

'There' isn't Th-ee-r-e
'care' isn't c-ay-r-e

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now