What's the current thinking on reception key words?

(31 Posts)
Iamnotminterested Wed 05-Dec-12 17:16:36

Am I right in thinking that learning the 45 key words is now out of date? Are children still tested on them at the end of reception? Mrz?

learnandsay Sat 08-Dec-12 13:02:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

maizieD Sat 08-Dec-12 14:31:55

Sounds 'interesting'. What thread is it in?

learnandsay Sat 08-Dec-12 14:37:53
SoundsWrite Sat 08-Dec-12 15:14:37

Says Masha, "'Me' is tricky for beginning readers, because the most used English word is the."
Poppycock! Quite apart from the laughably clumsy logic, Masha doesn't understand that, as long as it is introduced in a timely fashion, there is nothing difficult or 'tricky' about the concept of the letter <e> representing the sound /e/ or the sound /ee/. After all children grow up with the idea that one thing can 'stand for' another. Any child will tell that a circle can be a face, or a moon, or a ball, etc, etc. So, the concept itself isn't a problem.
What might be a problem is if you introduce too many ideas to work with at the same time. So, the letter <e> is introduced first as /e/ in simple CVC words, followed by VCC and CVCC words (elf, mend), CCVC words (help), and so on. Later, it can be introduced as /ee/ in words like 'he' and 'she', etc.
And, LeeCoakley, I don't know about 'mister' and 'misters' or 'myrrh' and 'myrrhs'. I prefer 'mrz' and 'maizieD'! grin

Feenie Sat 08-Dec-12 15:31:56

Says Masha, "'Me' is tricky for beginning readers, because the most used English word is the."
Poppycock! Quite apart from the laughably clumsy logic, Masha doesn't understand that, as long as it is introduced in a timely fashion, there is nothing difficult or 'tricky' about the concept of the letter <e> representing the sound /e/ or the sound /ee/.

And Masha might know that to be the case, if she had taught any children to read - ever.

SoundsWrite Sat 08-Dec-12 15:53:22

'And Masha might know that to be the case, if she had taught any children to read - ever.' wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now