can you look at this and say if it looks like dyslexia to you, please?

(57 Posts)
imogengladhart Wed 28-Nov-12 22:40:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Roseformeplease Fri 11-Jan-13 22:04:14

GIRFEC is the one but there was an Act of Parliament which led to that which you should be able to quote from.

imogengladhart Thu 10-Jan-13 21:32:56

tricot39 Thu 10-Jan-13 21:19:26

rose - every child counts?

imogengladhart Thu 10-Jan-13 20:12:49

Roseformeplease Thu 10-Jan-13 18:45:32

Not sure of the details but do teach in Scotland. This is not true of all areas. In my area of Highland he would get lots and lots of help and support. Can you look up - can someone help? The relevant Act which was about 09/10 which is about meeting the needs of every child? You might be able to quote that. Moving countries seems a bit extreme. How close are you to another LA? School?

LynetteScavo Thu 10-Jan-13 18:38:41

OP, even if your DS did get a diagnosis of dyslexia, the school probably wouldn't do much more than put a bit of intervention if place. You could probably do as much, if not more with him yourself.

My tactic would be to talk to the school about how his self esteem was being effected, how your DS is very aware that he is struggling, and how that is impacting on him.

Have you actually had your DS tested for dyslexia?

Who is threatening you with SS should you seek more diagnosis? Is it the school?

imogengladhart Thu 10-Jan-13 09:17:25

imogengladhart Thu 10-Jan-13 09:11:50

Thank you, Mrz, that's true; I have read some of her theories. She says that dyslexia is at least partly caused by allergies, I think. I have had some dyslexic children in my class who have severe food intolerances or allergies, but others without, as far as anyone could see. So I don't know.

Please come and look at my despairing spelling thread and give me advice and comfort!

sashh Thu 10-Jan-13 08:08:47

He cries and hits his head when doing his spellings and says he is stupid.

^

Sounds like dyslexia.

But also have his eyes tested, I had both dyslexia and astigmatism.

imogengladhart Thu 10-Jan-13 07:25:18

LynetteScavo Wed 09-Jan-13 21:54:24

OP, my DD sounds very much like your DS (yes she is diagnosed as dyslexic) I don't really understand Therapeutic Listening, although I know Indigo is a big fan.

If anyone does understand, and can let us know where we can access it and how much it might cost that would be fantastic.

Dyslexia might not be curable, but dyslexics can be helped.

(And the "Oh, my cousins next door nieghbour's friends brother is dyslexic and never learned to read but is now a consultant cardiologist" isn't really that helpful.)

tricot39 Wed 09-Jan-13 21:39:41

I realise that there is a lot of background to this story which hasn't come out, but if you have private tests which show that your DS is intelligent and have documented problems with the LEA which appear to show that his needs are not being catered for, then I would ask for an appointment with my MP to discuss the issues and see whether they can help. If what you say is correct, the way you are being treated sounds completely wrong. It might help avoid the hassle and expense of a move. Good Luck.

mrz Wed 09-Jan-13 21:25:33

She says it's because people object to her saying dyslexia can be cured

Why does Indigo get banned? (Nosy) I've seen her on lots of education themes.

imogengladhart Wed 09-Jan-13 20:15:44

mrz Wed 09-Jan-13 19:51:02

You could request a referral to the audiology dept asking for an auditory discrimination check. Often the test is carried also out by Ed Psychs and SaLT

imogengladhart Wed 09-Jan-13 19:41:32

mrz Wed 09-Jan-13 19:32:37

Indigo has been banned again I'm afraid

No a standard hearing test would not necessarily pick up these difficulties.

imogengladhart Wed 09-Jan-13 19:25:20

RooneyMara Fri 30-Nov-12 11:36:14

Hi, a bit late to this but yes to me that looks like dyslexia - especially the bit with hitting his head and saying he's stupid sad Poor love - mine does this too.

however mine has come on in great strides this last year - his spelling has just shot up, his reading is GREAT and I don't know where it's all come from. (he's 9 and a half now, y5)

school refused to recognise or help with ds either, despite us having a private assessment.
It's odd.

Mine still cannot understand time (analogue especially - can read digital but doesn't know what it means) or days/weeks/years, before and after etc still really boggles him.

Houseworkprocrastinator Fri 30-Nov-12 11:30:01

i haven't read all the replies so sorry if i am repeating something. I have mild dyslexia and my spelling when i was younger was very phonetic. I had great difficulty learning and retaining correct spellings and i still spell things wrong when i am writing especially if i am concentrating on what i am writing rather than the spelling.
It is very frustrating especially if you are actually intelligent because you KNOW you should be able to do it and cant understand why you cant. i was not diagnosed till secondary school but this caused allot of problems with my behavior and attitude to school. i would try and push for a diagnosis earlier.
good luck

maizieD Fri 30-Nov-12 11:11:15

Oh, hi, IB[big wave]. Nice to see you backgrin

imogengladheart,

I meant little lines to write each 'sound' on. So if the word were 'Thursday', which contains 5 sounds, /th/ /ur/ /s/ /d/ /ay/ you'd write 5 little lines, like this, _ _ _ _ _ and write the spelling for each sound on each separate line. This is good for checking that none of the sounds have been left out.

imogengladhart Fri 30-Nov-12 10:15:53

IndigoBelle Fri 30-Nov-12 10:06:22

Maizie has given you very good advice.

But I would add that there is loads of listening therapies you can do which will improve his hearing so that he can actually hear the sounds well enough to spell them.

As far as I know Therapeutic Listening is the cheapest of the therapies and available through many OTs

This Auditory Discrimination Test will tell you if he has a hearing problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now