School Play Costume

(14 Posts)
NaturallyGullible Sat 24-Nov-12 20:30:55

I really enjoy sewing, but there are very few opportunities to do so. School plays are about it.

You can get the full nativity cast in a single Simplicity pattern - I know, because DD was "Mary" last year.

UniS Sat 24-Nov-12 20:27:19

king - DS is being a "king " this year. He is wearing
crown with glittery bits stuck on. DS made this
Cloak. I'm just about to make one for DS from half an old table cloth. ( my family hoard fabric). over a
Long Tunic, belted with fancy stringy thing. Over a long sleeve T shirt as its sleeve less tunic.

The tunic was made for an adult to wear as a jerkin for a previous dressing up event . Its slightly shiney fabric and there is lots of it gathered about the rather slight frame of DS .

GoldenPeppermintCreams Sat 24-Nov-12 18:04:55

There was more than one lobster present at the birth of Christ?

BackforGood Fri 23-Nov-12 16:49:50

erm..... why is he going to be a Mum ? grin
Any 'villager'/ townspeople / shepherd / innkeeper / innkeeper's wife' type role is easily costumed by putting little ones into a plain adult T-shirt (so it becomes a tunic on them) and tying it round the waist with some kind of a cord (string, or a curtain tie back both work), then a t-towel on the head, held in place either with an elastic strtchy headband, or a strip of cloth.

Of course, it might be that your child isn't going to be from Nazareth, but a modern day Mum (it's amazing who can get into the nativity when you've got 60 roles to find) so, once again CHECK WITH THE SCHOOL first !

Differentangle Fri 23-Nov-12 16:29:56

Ladies, can I have your suggestions for a costume for my ds who is going to be a "mum" in the nativity??

BackforGood Fri 23-Nov-12 16:21:22

Agree with others
a) he might not be a king, and might just have decided for himself this is what he'd like to be, rather than being a sheep, or whatever he's actually been allocated
b) Many schools keep their costumes from year to year so don't need anyone to provide them
c) some schools get a team to make up what they need, so all children are on the same footing
d) if it's not a play, he might not actually need a character costume - it might be come in "best"/party clothes or wearing hats and scarves as if going carol singing, etc.
DO NOTHING until you've checked with the staff smile

Clary Thu 22-Nov-12 23:26:42

A king is very easy.

Get some fancy fabric and stitch it into a tunic shape (the bigger the better) then tie round the waist with a sparkly scarf. Wear over T shirt and joggers for decency. Cloak if you like.

Make crown. Wrap shoebox in gold paper. Ta dah.

Don't buy one in asda, so depressing now to see 5 shepherds all looking exactly the same. Wot's wrong with a dressing gown and tea towel?

But yes, check the school needs you to do a costume first!

Fuzzymum1 Thu 22-Nov-12 22:59:21

Our school generally provides costumes, except for the narrators who are asked to dress smartly - which in 5yo DS's eyes means he will be wearing his suit, dress shirt and black bow tie - an outfit I bought for £7 on ebay as a magician fancy dress outfit for a party!

ImaginateMum Thu 22-Nov-12 20:26:30

Our school usually give clear guidance - e.g. bring in an old dark t-shirt which they will then decorate with stars / cardboard crowns in class.

It helps that it is right by a Primark so most requests can be promptly and cheaply accommodated!

Sainsburys has got every conceivable connotation of Christmas play costume incl Aliens - I sense they saw a gap in the market smile Shop bought is the norm at our school

mrz Thu 22-Nov-12 19:48:10

Has the school asked you to provide a costume? We provide costumes for all our pupils

Sirzy Thu 22-Nov-12 19:45:13

You can buy them in asda. Can you not talk to other parents to see how they are doing it?

I would go with Sittings idea if you want to make one though.

Think yourself lucky its only a king... DS is a christmas tree!

sittinginthesun Thu 22-Nov-12 19:43:20

Have they given any clues about costumes? Our school ask you not to buy anything new, although I do trawl charity shops now and then.

To me, a king would be shiny, velvety clothes, with a cloak and a crown.

guccigirl666 Thu 22-Nov-12 19:40:16

Not really sure if this is the right board to post on but I'm sure you ladies will know! Ds is in reception and just had a letter about the school 'singalong' (their version of a play). Ds wants to be a king, I have no idea how to go about costumes. I am no good at making things either. What is the norm? Do many kids go in ready-bought costumes (don't even know if it's possible to buy them yet) or would that look like a really poor effort?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now