Do daughters start their periods at similar age as parents?

(64 Posts)
Lottie4 Fri 24-Aug-12 19:39:31

If your daughter has started her periods, was it a similar age to you? I started the same age as my Mum and was speaking to some friends recently who said they all started within a year of their Mum.

perceptionreality Wed 09-Jan-13 18:49:24

I had been thinking that as I started at 14, my dds won't have to worry about it until then but seems you can't tell for sure then? Dd2 is 9 and she cried when I recently explained to her that this would happen. 14 is on the later side I suppose - I remember most of my friends being 12/13.

Hulababy Wed 09-Jan-13 17:15:25

perceptionreality - I have no idea tbh. There are only 12 girls in DD's class - so 3 equates to 1/4 of the class. And all in Y6, so primary, still within normal range but all still very much at the lower age range. And all within a fortnight of one another. Ages are 10y8m, 11y1m, 11y3m.

FloweryDrawers Wed 09-Jan-13 10:51:19

In dd1's case, the 7 stone thing definitely doesn't apply, btw. She was well below that when she started, and (at 14) is still just over 6.5 stone. But after 3 years of periods she's only just now starting to get them regularly every month, instead of 3-4 month gaps. So maybe that's a weight thing.

FloweryDrawers Wed 09-Jan-13 10:46:47

My Mum was 14
I was 13
Dd1 had just turned 11
Dd2 has just turned 11 and is v. hormonal but nothing yet.

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Wed 09-Jan-13 10:36:09

Me, my mum and my sister were 13. My grandma was 16!

perceptionreality Wed 09-Jan-13 10:33:58

Interesting Hula - isn't it the case that girls are supposed to have cycles that are in sync when they spend a lot of time together? Or is that an old wives tale?

Hulababy Tue 08-Jan-13 18:56:22

Apparently 3 girls in DD's Y6 started over the Christmas holidays - so must be something in the water! The other two are 11y, DD is 10y.

Groovee Tue 08-Jan-13 10:30:31

My gran started at 11, my mum started at 12 and I started a month after my 13th birthday. Dd has just started her period a few weeks before her 13th birthday.

Muminwestlondon Fri 04-Jan-13 09:20:16

Here...

newscenter.berkeley.edu/2010/09/17/puberty/

Personally I don't agree...

Hulababy Thu 03-Jan-13 21:17:05

Not sure about the dad relationship link.
DD has a fantastic relationship with her dad - so def not the case here.

Should say that whilst DD is only 9, she's the size of a 12yo, albeit a fairly skinny one!

This is pretty interesting as I'm not sure whether I'm worrying unnecessarily about DD starting hers early (she's just turned 9)

My Mum was a late starter, around 17 iirc. I would have been 12ish (Yr7) and my sister would have been a year younger (sometime when she was still in Yr6)

DD has very light underarm hair, and gets whiffy on occasion and, although she has no boobs atm, she's started developing (tender breast buds) and is getting more 'hippy' iyswim. What worries me is she's been getting belly aches off and on - not being ill, just being a bit crampy. Getting her period whilst in Yr4 would be a pita for her so I hope it holds off for a few more years. She's well aware of what's what and we've talked about what her belly aches could mean so she is prepared, but still... sad

Dancergirl Thu 03-Jan-13 19:13:22

muminwestlondon is that true about lacking dad? How can environment affect physical changes?

weblette Thu 03-Jan-13 08:29:12

Well she has pubic hair, underarm hair, needs to wear a bra, skin v spot-prone. Don't know about her weight - she's 5'5 tall and slim.

bruffin Thu 03-Jan-13 08:21:18

I was 12, dd was 11.5 I didnt think weight had anything to do with it, more a body fat ratio. DD was definitely under 7 stone and i dont think i was that heavy either.

Muminwestlondon Thu 03-Jan-13 08:21:06

Interesting question...

My DD's both started at just under 12 years, as did I. They are both under average weight (as was I) but one is tall and the other relatively short. My sister started at about 15 as did my Mum.

My friend started at age 10 and her daughter aged 10 has just started too.

I read somewhere that girls lacking a good relationship with a dad (or substitute) start earlier. I don't think that is true in my DD's case.

Re the baldness - DH still has a lot of hair at age 42, as do his older brothers and his dad still has hair in his 70's.

Hulababy Thu 03-Jan-13 08:09:53

Dd is quite tall but under 7 stone. Been wearing a bra for 10 months or so. Lots of development ESP in last few months. Her body shape s totally different now, needs deodorant etc. so not all together a surprise tbh.

perceptionInaPearTree Wed 02-Jan-13 22:40:27

I've been wondering about this. My mum was 14, I was also 14. I have an 11 year old and a 9 year old. The 11 year old is quite severely autistic so (not knowing how she'll react to it) I keep wondering whether I have a few years left to worry about it or not!

sausagesandwich34 Wed 02-Jan-13 22:38:12

what are the signs that point 'in the next couple of months'?

we went through about 6 months of mood swings with DD when she was 10.6
and were convinced she would start

then it stopped and she has reverted back to her usual self

she is showing physical signs of puberty -bra & fluff
over the magic 7 st but very tall

I was 13 and well over 7stone for anyone that thinks that is the magic number

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Wed 02-Jan-13 22:37:19

mum was 14 I was 12 my older sister was 11

crazynanna Wed 02-Jan-13 22:36:46

I was just turned 11.
DD1 was 13.
DD2is 14 and a half and hasn't started yet,but physically is tall and slimish with no boobage, whereas I was wearing a bra aged 9.

weblette Wed 02-Jan-13 22:33:09

I started age 11, dd is about to turn 13 and I expect she'll be in the next couple of months.

GetorfsaMotherfuckingMorrisMan Wed 02-Jan-13 22:32:18

I was nearly 16, dd was 11. My periods are so light as to be non existent, poor dd has always had heavy and painful periods and is now on the pill to sort the bloody things.

mentallyscrewed Wed 02-Jan-13 22:30:21

Oh and dd says she has no bush (8yr old ds says she has a green bush after barging in on her in the bath but he tries to be funny) she has no underarm hair but has boobs

Hulababy Wed 02-Jan-13 22:30:05

She appears to be, thanks Ponders. So far has taken it in her stride. I don't think she is the first in her class - which is good for her I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now