How tough is it to do a 1 mile nursery run without transport and two dc?

(13 Posts)
HairyPorter Sun 15-Sep-13 10:25:53

We're considering moving and the new house will be 1 mile away. We currently use a combination of buggy + board or buggy + sling for 11mo dd and 2.5 yo ds for longer distances. (Nursery currently 5 minutes away and ds walks). Is this distance going to be too difficult in winter/ in rain without transport?? Please tell me how you did it if you have similar distances to travel with your kids! I don't really want to get a double buggy at this stage..

ShowOfHands Sun 15-Sep-13 10:32:17

It's completely doable. Slightly different ages, but I had a 5 mile school run to do when ds was a newborn and dd was just starting in reception. The bus would get me 3 miles and then the other 2 miles I had to manage. I kept ds (the baby) in a sling until he was able to walk the 2 miles. I used my ergo or a wrap and once he was bigger, put him on my back. You just need good wet/cold weather stuff, put the 11mo in a sling and if you need to, the 2.5yo can use a pushchair (my just turned 2yo can walk a mile easily though but a pushchair might be good for back up).

bymoonlight Sun 15-Sep-13 10:43:06

My 2.5 scoots 2 miles every morning. 1 mile to drop her 5yo sister off at school and then a mile home.

If she was unwell I would need to use the buggy though.

NotCitrus Sun 15-Sep-13 11:30:53

Might be an idea to get Little Life backpack or similar as well, in case older child decides to try a sit-down protest and needs picking up.
Hopefully if they have a right strop younger child could have special treat of going on the buggy board.

Older will be big enough for a scooter soon. If you all have good wet weather gear and plenty of time, should be ok.

bigTillyMint Sun 15-Sep-13 11:35:24

Not a problem - I used to do this with mine. Buggy/board good, or older one scootered. Don't get a double buggy!

Bowlersarm Sun 15-Sep-13 11:36:57

Is it on pavements?

DC's nursery was a mile away when they were small and I did it by double buggy. Then single buggy plus buggy board. Then scooters or walking. I didn't get on with a sling but if you are used to it, I don't see why that couldn't work.

Perfectly doable, in all weathers.

insancerre Sun 15-Sep-13 11:49:41

don't forget that your older one may be exhausted after a day at nursery
getting there will be fine- they will be full of beans but a mile walk or scoot is asking a lot of a little one afer a long day, especially if they have given up their afternoon nap

ItsaTIARA Sun 15-Sep-13 11:51:31

A scooter will be useful later. In the meantime I'd definitely look for a cheap or free second hand double buggy from friends or on Freecycle - I know it's annoying for such a short period of time but it will be such a godsend over the next few months for those times when older child is poorly or it's pissing it down or you're in a hurry to get back for a delivery man. If you take care of it then you can probably recoup most of your costs by reselling.

nextphase Sun 15-Sep-13 12:21:02

At 2.5, we did 3/4 mile walking to nursery, with 6moth DS2 in pushchair, but then I took the double to pick him up. BUT we already had the double!

By 3 (just before I returned to work) the double was put away, and he's walk or balance bike.

Not a problem, afaic

neolara Sun 15-Sep-13 12:30:10

Get a bike. Stick baby on seat on the back. Stick 2.5 year old on a balance bike or a scooter. And you're off. That's how everyone does it where I live in Cambridge. In snow it's different obviously and you'd have to walk. But it's perfectly possible to do a 1 mile scooter / balance bike / bike nursery run in torrential rain and when it's cold.

DrivingToDistraction Sun 15-Sep-13 12:36:03

I'll have a similar walk and I have got a double - DS is capable of walking a mile but I've noticed since he moved up rooms at nursery he's been too tired to walk far. We have a train to catch so we don't have time to meander.

chickabilla Sun 15-Sep-13 12:50:49

Very do-able, we have always walked around a mile. With DS1 and DS2, we used a pram + board for pre school then just the pram with DS1 walking. When DD came along, we had a second hand double initially and now use pram + board but use the double if DS2 is ill. We were not going to get a double but it has been great and we should be able to sell on for as much as we paid. Good gloves, hats, boots help a lot.

VinegarDrinker Mon 16-Sep-13 18:33:26

Ours is 1.5 miles and I cycle it with DC in the trailer. Could walk but cycling is a lot quicker!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now