EYFS funding for 4 year olds - urgent question

(10 Posts)
didireallysaythat Mon 29-Apr-13 22:26:13

DD is a June baby and started school when 4. At the time the county's policy was they were part time until the term they turned 5. So he went to preschool in the afternoons for two terms. But because he'd started school there were no free hours at the preschool. I complained to the LEA as I felt I was financially penalised for conceiving a child at the wrong time of the year. They didn't see my point if view !

Sirzy Thu 25-Apr-13 08:30:09

Contact your local LEA they should be able to confirm.

Is she not going to school because they can't provide a place or for other reasons? if they can't provide a place then they should certainly continue the funding.

LIZS Thu 25-Apr-13 08:29:52

Should be on LA website or you could ring their Early Years department.

Judyandherdreamofhorses Thu 25-Apr-13 08:27:01

Thanks. LIZS, do you know where I can find proof of that?

LIZS Thu 25-Apr-13 08:25:23

yes she is, theoretically until next summer.

Clayhead Thu 25-Apr-13 08:24:47

Usually the school would claim it in those circumstances, until the end of the term in which they turn five, so I guess it must be out there to be claimed!

Judyandherdreamofhorses Thu 25-Apr-13 08:22:55

I don't know where to find out!

LeeCoakley Thu 25-Apr-13 08:09:16

It doesn't sound as if she will get the funding if it stops in the academic year in which children turn 5. I don't actually know myself, I think you should investigate further.

didireallysaythat Thu 25-Apr-13 08:04:04

The entitlement stops in the academic year (ie starting sept) in which they turn 5 and therefore can start school. At least that was how it worked in England 3 years ago. I think you should be OK.

Judyandherdreamofhorses Thu 25-Apr-13 07:53:04

I don't know where to look for the answer to this. DD is 4 in August. Is she still entitled to her 15 hours of funding in September as she is not going to school? I had been told by her current setting that she is, but I'm having a sudden wobble.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now