How do you become a pre school teacher?

(7 Posts)
nurseryworkstation2 Fri 09-Nov-12 16:37:13

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

BackforGood Thu 08-Nov-12 23:39:39

Generally speaking, pre-schools don't have qualified teachers. The staff get NVQs in Childcare - there are different levels you can work through, starting at Level 1. Most staff will be L2 or L3.
There are apprenticeships now too.

Morph2 Thu 08-Nov-12 22:51:08

my son's pre school the assistants have NVQs, some at level 1 and some at level 2, can't remember what they are in, something child related obviously, think its called child development

magichamster Thu 08-Nov-12 22:41:10

Your best bet is probably to speak to whoever is in charge of the pre school and ask them. They may have links to local colleges and will be able to advise you what they look for in staff.

spikemomma Thu 08-Nov-12 22:35:38

I think I prefer an assistant role in a pre school. What do I need for that?

Littlefish Thu 08-Nov-12 22:02:13

Pre-school teachers have the same qualifications as all other teachers. B-ed degree, PGCE or training whilst working (I can't remember the name of that course).

If you are talking about a nursery assistant, or teaching assistant, then there are courses available at most colleges of further or higher education.

spikemomma Thu 08-Nov-12 21:48:55

Could you tell me what qualifications you need?

I'd like to be able to assist/work in a pre school and give supply support (to cover absences within the main staff), were I volunteer at the moment.

I just love, love, love, pre schoolers and have realised it's a job I want to, and have been told i should pursue.

Could you advise me?

Many thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now