When to stop sterilising??

(9 Posts)
Verybusymummyof2 Fri 15-Mar-13 20:43:23

When did you stop sterilising bottles? Dd is almost 1 corrected?
Can I ditch the steriliser?? X

Skygirls Fri 15-Mar-13 23:37:23

I think current guidelines say at 1 year you no longer need to sterilise bottles.
I stopped after DCs 1st birthdays.

MiaowTheCat Sun 17-Mar-13 10:37:36

I'll be stopping at 1year... mainly cos I'm due with number 2 the week after (although been threatening prem labour for a fortnight now) and I need the steriliser space back!

MiniPopsMum2012 Sun 24-Mar-13 22:30:34

I was wondering this today...

Is it one year actual, or one year corrected (please say actual, please say actual grin

I stopped at 6 months corrected, right when I started weaning and he was picking up every grubby thing and putting it into his mouth.

Have they changed the guidelines to a year now? <looks at black bin I chucked dd's steriliser into as she's just hit 6 months and it was 6 months when ds was a baby>

MiniPopsMum2012 Sun 24-Mar-13 22:39:20

I honestly wonder why I do bother sterilising stuff because absolutely everything goes into his mouth anyway... confused

That was always my thinking Minipops although I'm sure it's something to do with the milk and bacteria. Don't know how many times dd has burped over a toy or something and later it's in the mouth. I'm always fastidious when washing bottles and they get a good rinse with hot water after (hence the old woman chapped hands) so can't see me hoking the steriliser out of the outside bin. Ds was prem and he was grand with just washed bottles after the 6 months, although if it was a year then I would have done it until then. Never had an upset tummy. Funny how things change and now I feel a bit like a bad mum for not following recent guidelines.

I got told 6 months by an NCT instructor, who shrugged and said that by the time they are licking the cat, who's going to worry about a bottle or two?...
I thought it was a pretty good point! We still sterilise and will to a year actual, but no later - I'm not carting the damn steriliser to NZ with us!!

abbyfromoz Mon 25-Mar-13 00:19:16

DD is almost 2 and i sterilise... Prob a little OCD of me but it doesn't take much time after all the washing up- just stack and press a button!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now