Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Stomach pains in early pregnancy is this normal? Worried.

(67 Posts)
Discodolly100 Fri 27-Oct-06 14:54:33

Just found out I'm pregnant last week So I'm now 5-6 weeks. Been having mild, period type cramps ever since then which I understand is fairly normal. Also been feelig bloated and tender around my stomach like I've got an inflatable ball inside me under my ribs. Also feeling a bit faint and light headed. Is all of this normal? How long will this last? Should I check with the doctor? (No bleeding or anything).

SeoMum Fri 11-Jun-10 10:58:53

Hi Jules
Try not to worry I had really bad pains up until about 9 weeks in fact I didn't take a pregnancy test till I was 7 weeks as for weeks I just thought I was about to start my period(came off the pill to get pregnant and periods were still irregular)It is normal from my limited experience and will get easier your body is changing a lot and even this early your womb is growing considerably to what it was before you were pregnant. I mentored a 16 year old who smoked and drank through her pregnancy and she experienced a lot of spotting at 8-10 weeks we rushed her to the midwife a lot but the midwife said it was perfectly normal although I have had no spotting so far in my pregnancy at 12 weeks.
I can't offer any other advice except enjoy it and try not to worry I understand your concern buteveryone is different and these signs are normal. If you are concerned go to a midwife that is what they are foe and better to be safe than sorry.
I have started getting pains again after an easy 3-4 weeks off but I've been told its normal but if it gets worse I will be the first to pester my midwife
Goodluck and I hope it goes well

Angieweeks Sat 28-May-11 02:16:05

I am so relieved and happy that this website exists. I found out I was pregnant just under one week ago, and here I am at 01:00 worrying my head off because of a sudden very bad period pain feeling and feeling sick (which thank god has just eased smile ) so I look on the internet and thank god and I mean it I come across this site read 6 messages and sigh a sigh of relief. Im very pleased that my feeling is probably normal. I will be back smile. Thank you all for sharing ( ps partner is asleep next to me and I haven't told my mum yet.. Think I'm changing my mind on that one!!) x

Gooniesgirl78 Tue 04-Oct-11 18:43:37

Hi, I have done two positive home pregnancy tests both of which were positive so I went to the doctors. I was expecting him to do a test but he diddn't is that normal. I am 6 weeks pregnant and was wondering is it normal to have bad stomach ache that wakes me up during the night? My stomach feels like it's on fire inside is this normal. This is my first baby please help.

5weekslouise Fri 04-May-12 12:35:11

Hi all I'm 5weeks pregnant and a bit concerned. My lower stomach is really painful to touch anyone got any ideas? Thanks xx

lozkylesmummy Thu 21-Jun-12 20:34:20

hope all is well with you and baby, louise! have you had a scan yet? so glad when i saw this thread i mc with my first at 9 wks but went on to have a healthy baby 2 yrs later. were now pg again after 7 years and im so worried as im having niggly stomach pains all the time (im 4/5 weeks) no spotting though. i think im more worried of losing this one as it will defo be our last as my husband doesnt want to be an old dad lol

Hayleymummytoashton Fri 22-Jun-12 21:36:35

Hi I'm 5 1/2 weeks pregnant and having some minor abdominal pains, sometimes I get a few sharp pains but not often. I've had two miscarriages since the beginning of this year, one at 7 weeks and the other at 5, I had bad pains with both. Only different is this time I got morning sickness a week ago
And it's awful! I've been worried sick so as soon as I found out I phoned up my gp who has booked me in for an early transvaginal scan a week from now. They wouldn't do one earlier as they wouldn't be able to see much. I'm so scared as I really don't want to go through a miscarriage again. Fingers crossed and faithfully praying this is the one... Baby dust to all x x x

Beccajade Sat 05-Jan-13 17:04:12

Hey, I've been having really bad stomache cramps, mainly at night! I got so bad the other night, to the point where I doubled over and was being sick, feeling faint and got really hot! I eventually went to a and e but they said they had no idea what it was. It's my first pregnancy and I think I'm about 5 weeks. I have a scan on Monday and I'm really worried something bad is going to happen sad any advice?

tigerKesha Sat 05-Jan-13 18:57:07

Hi Becca, sorry about the pain. Am going through the same situation. Went to the EPU yesterday & they did a scan which showed nothing. A blood test was taken & I will have to go back tomorrow for other blood test but hopefully it will all be ok. Looking at other people's experiences makes it easier for me to stay calm. Good luck Hun.

Beccajade Sat 05-Jan-13 19:07:02

Hello, I had blood tests which showed nothing! And I went to the EPU yesterday and booked me a scan for Monday! I have no bleeding but the pains just don't seen to get any easier, I wish you all the best smile and deffinately looking at other people's experiences is a lot easier. Take care.

mumagain38 Sat 05-Jan-13 19:10:53

Minor pains and aches are to be expected as ligaments are stretching and softening. But please be aware of eptopic pregnancy, I had one at 6weeks 1 day last year. I had two bouts of horrific pain contained in the same area -- one in work where i had to sit in the toilets thinking i was going to pass out which subided after about 10 mins and once when me and dp had just had nookie both went away after about 10 mins but they were REALLY bad sharp pains. I went for a scan a couple of days later and it was eptopic :O( im pregnant now and felt aches pains twinges ect... but nothing like those ones. Go doctors get a scan done and be safe as it can be life threatening on you. dont want to scare any girls but get it checked out if its bad xx

Phoebejade99 Sat 06-Apr-13 15:47:39

Hi, i was late on my period, i took a clearblue pregnancy test which came back positive, i then took a clear blue digi test which came up 2-3 which means im 4-5 weeks gone, but then i took another this morning and it came up 3+ meaning i 5+ weeks gone. I have no morning sickness or feeling sick but belly cramps.. is this a bad sign or is this normal? should morning sickness start straight away ?

LandsN Sat 06-Apr-13 17:51:30

I didn't get morning sickness till about 7 weeks I am now 10 weeks and it has gone again had scans already due to prev mc's so know everything is ok everyone is different so try not to worry and make the most of it cos it could start any day oh and congratulations x

squizita Sat 06-Apr-13 18:20:25

Thanks all - I have them too. My Dr stupidly booked my scan much too early (the hospital told me to expect not to see anything) so until my next scan I am technically Pregnancy of Unknown Location ... argh scary, of course if this were a week's time I'd be in serious danger of ectopic but they keep telling me it's a technical risk!

Needless to say, the normal twinges I am having are now scaring the heck out of me... but I'm in limbo really as I know I'll get a blood test tomorrow and scan next week to sort it. Just gotta ride it out, but I wish my Dr hadn't accidentally booked me an emergency scan 'the next day' instead of a reassurance scan at 7 weeks!!

abcdemma Tue 09-Apr-13 23:39:23

Just found out that I'm pregnant. Bit of a surprise but on calculation I'm about 3 weeks. Have been experiencing period-like cramps for a couple of weeks (first thought I was due but it didn't arrive so took a test) but upon reading that it's perfectly normal my mind has been put at rest smile Other than ridiculously sore boobs and one random bursting into tears event today no other symptoms as yet smile

sarahb245 Fri 26-Apr-13 17:22:53

Hi all. I'm soo happy to come across this site. Found out last week I am 5-6 weeks pregnant. I was devestated at first as it was unplanned, but after a week of thinking and talking to family members, I've grown to be unbelievably excitedsmile I'm ecstatic now, can't stop smiling. Anyway, The last few days I've had tummy pains, they're not unbearable but I'm worrying like crazy, been web searching to see if this is normal, and after reading all these messages I feel more at ease. Can't help but check my underwear every time I go to the loo I'm that scared. First pregnancy so don't know what to expect, feeling a little tired and literally can't stop peeing. I've seen some people mention ectopic pregnancy, would this cause unbearable pain, I think I'm just paranoid but either way it worries me. Thanks in advance and good luck smile I'm due Xmas eve :D

CarolineFrancesca Wed 19-Jun-13 18:35:05

Congratulations on finding out you re pregnant!
Thank you so much for posting this, I feel like you are describing me! I found out this morning that I am
Pregnant and have been trying not to freak out having had a miscarriage before. It was reassuring to read your post so thank you! Caroline x

KittyKat210688 Thu 04-Jul-13 13:30:11

Hi All,

I was wondering if you could help and but my mind at ease. I came off the pill 2 months ago as my partner and I decided we were ready to unofficially start trying. I was on the pill for 8 years and was never very regular before that. Since coming off I had a cycle of 31 days last month, but this month i'm now on day 34. I have some stomach pain similar to what I have read in other peoples messages, but when I did a test yesterday it was negative. I'm now currently waiting to test again in another 3 days if I dont start, but I dont feel the same as if I was normally due on.

I am constantly checking when I pop to the loo and second guessing every feeling.

I just wish I knew one way or another, but your messages have but me at ease about how im currently feeling and fingers crossed it will all work out.

Kat x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now