Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Need advice, possible miscarriage

(21 Posts)
Midnightmiscarriage Sat 28-Jun-14 10:20:59

I'm 9+3 with our second child. I just woke up with a weird sensation and ran to the loo, I thought frankly that I was in the process of pooping my pants. Sat on the loo and felt something plop out, (sorry tmi), there is bright red blood in my pants and in the loo. I'm not having any cramps though. I felt fine all day except for a bit of wind and fatigue, as you do. Is this definitely a miscarriage? Is there anything else this could be?

I have had a mc in the past and it felt terrible, horrible period type pains .

Sparkle9 Sat 28-Jun-14 11:02:37

I had 2 bleeds prior to my 12 week scan. Both were proper blood in the toilet bowl bleeds with no cramps. I had scans after each an all was fine. The bleeding is suspected to have come from my cervix. Can you get seen at an EPU? Do you have a midwife yet?

I'm 22 weeks now and my last bleed was at 16 weeks.

Midnightmiscarriage Sat 28-Jun-14 11:09:25

Thanks for the reply, Sparkle. I'm in the states, hence the time difference. I called the 24 hour nurse hotline and got an appointment with a doctor for 9:00 today.

I'm American but experienced my first pregnancy on the NHS. It's so different here. I get seen by an ob/gyn instead of midwives, but haven't picked one yet. The nurse said they would check hcg levels with a blood test but that seems dumb to me, as wouldn't it take days for that to go down? I'm hoping for an ultrasound.

It is really reassuring to hear your experience, it really felt like a big blob fell out of me. We just told our folks as well.

Sparkle9 Sat 28-Jun-14 11:23:15

I didn't feel a blob but was warned that a clot might pass after I had had the first bleed. My first one was at 5 weeks so they did take bloods and they scanned but couldn't see much so I had to come back in 2 weeks for a second scan and repeat bloods. At 7 weeks they saw a heartbeat. At 9 weeks it looked like a tiny tiny beginning to be a baby shape! Like a kidney bean.

I hope you get a scan just to put your mind at ease.

I had lots of spotting as well as 3 proper bleeds (last one at 16 weeks). Nothing was ever seen on the scans so the cervix was suspected. After many worrying moments I began to realise that (TMI alert!) the spotting was coming on after some bowel movements several hours before. This all appears to have stopped at 16 weeks and I'm now 22 weeks.

Good luck to you.

Sparkle9 Sat 28-Jun-14 11:24:31

As for hcg levels, I did google and find a chart for the 'should be' ranges for each week of pregnancy.

Midnightmiscarriage Sat 28-Jun-14 11:30:49

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm hoping it's just a random bleed like you had.

Midnightmiscarriage Sat 28-Jun-14 12:25:14

No further blood and no cramping but still really anxious. sad

Sparkle9 Sat 28-Jun-14 12:27:23

I completely understand that and there's no point in me tellig you not to be anxious. I was worried from the day of the positive test (spotting started then!) up until the 20 week scan. I had 7 scans in that time. I have relaxed now and I'm enjoying being pregnant. I really hope it all turns out well for you.

maddyw1988 Sat 28-Jun-14 12:42:56

sorry to hear you are going through this! when you looked in the toilet was it just blood or anything sort of solid in there? gross question I know but you saod you felt something plop out! the hcg tests if you have another one in a couple of days will be able to tell if the pregnancy is still progressing and if they are still doubling, if they arent or they are dropping then there is cause for concern. good thing is that you dont have cramps, with my m/cs I have awful contraction like cramps until it came out. keep your chin up hun and positive thoughts! we r here for ya xx

Midnightmiscarriage Sat 28-Jun-14 12:44:18

It felt like something came out, I don't know if it was tissue of just a bunch of blood.

CheesyBadger Sat 28-Jun-14 12:50:38

I bled for a week at 9 weeks, totally freaked out, had a week off work devastated. All was ok though and the doc said implantation bleeding was a possibility. Crossing my fingers for you

Midnightmiscarriage Sat 28-Jun-14 16:14:27

Well I've had blood drawn and a pelvic exam, now waiting for an ultrasound.

Loveallmyboys Sat 28-Jun-14 16:56:33

I'm 15wks and have had bleeding since 5 weeks with clots too, no cramping which is obv a good sign. So unless you're cramping, I wouldn't panic too much. Good luck!x

Midnightmiscarriage Sat 28-Jun-14 17:50:33

Thanks Loveallmyboys. I hope you're right.

Loveallmyboys Sat 28-Jun-14 19:13:13

Anytime. Keep us posted...x

Midnightmiscarriage Sat 28-Jun-14 19:50:35

Just back from hospital. The doctor said that the fetus looks small, more like 6 weeks than 9 weeks, and they couldn't locate a heartbeat. But they want to do another hcg test and ultrasound in a few days to be certain. They said it was likely fetal demise but not able to say absolutely for sure until after further tests.

Iworrymyselftosleep Sat 28-Jun-14 19:57:19

midnight I'm sorry. I don't think there's anything I can say that will make you feel better right now. I've been there three times and I can't for the life of me remember anyone saying anything which helped. I remember everything beyond "im sorry" being clumsy and hurtful even if said with the best intentions.

Be kind to yourself flowers

Sparkle9 Sat 28-Jun-14 20:00:48

Oh I'm so sorry to hear that you didn't have more positive news. I will keep my fingers crossed for you over the next few days. X

Midnightmiscarriage Sun 29-Jun-14 04:06:29

It's definitely a mc. I'm doing ok and looking forward to trying again. For whatever reason, this one wasn't meant to be.

Loveallmyboys Sun 29-Jun-14 04:15:08

Ah I'm so very sorry. What a crappy thing to happen. We're all here for you. Look after yourself xx

Sparkle9 Sun 29-Jun-14 08:40:02

Again, so sorry to hear that. Look after yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now