Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Soft boiled egg

(19 Posts)
JennyBlueWren Fri 27-Jun-14 20:32:41

I love soft boiled eggs and always have one at the weekends. Never considered them to be risky but the book from the midwife says the yolk of eggs should be cooked to solid. As far as I can tell this is to avoid salmonella but as all British hens are immunised against this I would hve thought they would be safe.
Is there some other danger or is this just an old rule passed down from when there was real danger of salmonella?

Xcountry Fri 27-Jun-14 20:38:59

Indeed, but do you check the country of origin for your hens or do you just assume the place you buy them does?

JennyBlueWren Fri 27-Jun-14 21:47:00

Yes I only buy British eggs -they have the lion mark on them.

stargirl1701 Fri 27-Jun-14 21:47:47

Lion stamped are fine. Enjoy!

woodwaj Fri 27-Jun-14 21:48:55

I can have a runny lion egg?! Woohoo!!

Alita7 Fri 27-Jun-14 22:18:52

kings eggs are fine! smile

Eastwiththem Fri 27-Jun-14 23:59:36

I was weaned on dippy eggs in the mid-80s when they probably were full of salmonella. Have been eating soft eggs (and raw cake batter!) ever since and never once got ill, so I think you're probably fine to enjoy your weekend egg smile

HaroldLloyd Sat 28-Jun-14 00:02:36

Totally fine. Crack on!

tametortie Sat 28-Jun-14 00:10:17

My craving was very sloppy eggs!

eurochick Sat 28-Jun-14 08:29:39

I've had them all the way through. A soft lion marked egg was an acceptable risk to me. The drive to the supermarket to buy them was probably statistically riskier!

weebairn Sat 28-Jun-14 10:17:30

I eat runny eggs every morning

RedPony Sat 28-Jun-14 10:17:53

Iv been eating dippy eggs all the way through my pregnancy. I'm now 38 weeks and I'm fine smile I.just stick to eggs with the lion stamp on. Enjoy your eggs!

JennyBlueWren Sat 28-Jun-14 12:18:44

Eastwiththem I hadn't even thought of raw cake batter! I thought as a low-drinker/ non-smoker once I'd got over my caffeine addiction I'd be safe.

ruth1104 Sat 28-Jun-14 23:14:08

I eat the lion stamped ones, after extensive research smile the risks are really really small and I feel I need the protein. Beware, however, eating runny eggs out as lots of caterers (apparently) buy imported, non immunised eggs

hubbahubster Sun 29-Jun-14 10:52:47

I ate the odd Lion-stamped dippy egg with DC2 and was fine to be honest I forgot I wasn't supposed to at first

squizita Sun 29-Jun-14 17:06:23

Lion eggs are safe. The guidelines are there so people don't eat manky value imported battery eggs soft!

Its like you can't have Mr whippy from a van, but Nandos or McDonald's are OK because they sterilise everything so much.

JennyBlueWren Sun 29-Jun-14 18:45:11

Can't have Mr Whippy!!! Didn't know that! Oops. Feel sorry for my poor baby sad Very guilty!

squizita Sun 29-Jun-14 19:09:59

Its not harmful. Just some vans aren't that clean. If you've not been sick there'll be no problem.

spence24 Mon 30-Jun-14 08:14:51

Oh my, this thread has just made my day! I've missed dippy eggs SO much and I've only known I'm pregnant for four weeks! Was wondering how I was going to last another 7 months!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now