Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Silly question re showers!

(15 Posts)
sophie150 Fri 27-Jun-14 09:42:56

Hello! I'm only 18 weeks but already worrying about the birth! I'm a bit of a clean freak and hate feeling dirty. When do (if at all with a quick discharge) you get to have a shower post birth? I'm sure that I'll feel silly having asked this once I have my beautiful newborn that I won't want to leave, but at the moment it's on my mind!
Thanks blush

sleepyhead Fri 27-Jun-14 09:59:58

Very soon after the birth. Basically once you're stitched (if necessary!) and sorted then you can have a shower before you go up to the postnatal ward.

Mummymidwife87 Fri 27-Jun-14 10:01:06

As soon as you want... You have any required stitches first, feed baby, lots of skin to skin,mobs checked, and probably eat something

sophie150 Fri 27-Jun-14 10:05:42

Thanks both for the reassurance. One less thing to worry about!

PopcornFrenzy Fri 27-Jun-14 14:03:17

I had a shower on the labour ward straight afterwards and while I was gone my mum got told off for washing newborn DS in the sink!

OhGood Fri 27-Jun-14 14:07:23

Oh I was thinking about that shower just the other day. First shower after DS, who was just a few hours old. First time I had physically left him ever (as obvs had been living in my giant pregnant belly.) Gingerly hobbling down the corridor, testing my legs out, feeling wobbly and sore and full of wonder - like I had just been born, not DS.

<sentimental>

Congratulations on your baby. flowers

BeanyIsPregnant Fri 27-Jun-14 14:08:14

It depends, I had an epidural, and therefore couldn't weight bear, a very lovely nurse(?) came and gave me a bed bath, but once they had taken my catheter out in the morning I was told I could shower when I felt like it.. They Deff make it so you can shower as soon as possible although tbh I forgot :/

angelopal Fri 27-Jun-14 17:01:38

Both times it has been not that long after being stitched. This was before being moved to the post natal ward.

You will probably feel sore and wobbly but its good to get up and cleaned up.

Waggamamma Fri 27-Jun-14 17:39:58

I was offered a shower as soon as ds was born and I was stitched up. I did put it on my birth plan that I would want a shower soon after birth.

Don't be alarmed by the amount on blood, that first shower I had was like a blood bath, I felt I couldn't get clean because it just kept coming and I felt bad because I left the (tiny!) shower room in quite a mess.

sophie150 Fri 27-Jun-14 19:13:48

Thanks so much everyone. I feel very reassured. Good idea waggamamma re the birth plan- will make sure that this is on there.

PenguinsHatchedAnEgg Fri 27-Jun-14 20:40:30

As others have mentioned, the biggest issue is your mobility and whether you need a catheter. if it is really important to you then it's a reason to try and avoid an epidural .smile

SourSweets Fri 27-Jun-14 21:37:31

I showered almost right after I'd been stitched and baby fed. If I can give you one bit of advice though, it's eat something before you shower! I nearly passed out in there, I've never felt so weak in my life!

EllaBella220 Fri 27-Jun-14 23:49:10

After my first birth I wasn't offered a shower. I buzzed the MW and asked if I could get a shower and also if someone could change the sheets as I had leaked all over them! She said she would get someone to do it....I waited and waited and buzzed and buzzed. No-one came. I asked again when someone finally came round to check on the baby but was told it was too late at night and I'd get one in the morning but that a nurse would come and do the sheets. No-one came. I ended up putting towels on the bed to sleep on and having a wash in the toilets. I was 18, embarrassed and didn't want to cause a fuss so I didn't mention it again. I was discharged next day after not getting a shower at all.

2nd birth I was adamant I wasn't being left in the same situation. I had an epidural so wasn't mobile but I buzzed the midwife and asked to either be helped with a shower or for a bed bath and she said no problem at all, got another midwife and together they did a bedbath and chatted away as if we were having coffee. They said if I was mobile in a few hours they'd take me to the shower and if not they'd do another bed bath when I wanted. As soon as I had that bed bath I felt so much better whereas I felt like shit for ages after my first birth until I got home and was able to bathe.

This time I'll be doing the same. They can take me for a shower or bed bath..their choice but they'll most definitely not be leaving me lying in my blood soaked bed for 24 hours!

feeona123 Sat 28-Jun-14 23:08:37

My birthing room had a shower in it, so had one a bit after the birth.

There was lots of blood in the shower which I wasn't quite prepared for!

Had one on the ward as well. Just asked the mw for some towels and hubby looked after the baby.

IdaClair Sat 28-Jun-14 23:12:56

With my first I had a shower within an hour of birth. With my second I had a bath with the newborn at around two hours old. Just wanted to say that as then you don't have to leave them, it is nice to bathe them on your chest with warm water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now