Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Disappointed of gender?

(30 Posts)
CLM123 Fri 20-Sep-13 21:02:57

Hi ladies,

So I found out today that we're having a little princess only thing is when she told me all I felt was disappointment... I was adamant she was a boy! To the point where I bought boy things! (More fool me eh)

Just wondering if anyone else felt this way? I just feel awful at my reaction I guess it was more of a shock than anything. I've sorta come around to it now and getting quite excited but still feel a slight pang of disappointment. Am I being selfish? Just worried that this will affect how I now feel about the pregnancy and when she comes, and that scares the bejeebas out of me because that would break my heart.

Any reassurance or similarities would be kindly appreciated and please be nice, thank you.

SaucyJack Sat 21-Sep-13 11:26:53

Oh I can do that. I say it to his/her father enough times a day....... grin

"Willies are private. Leave it alone. Yes, I can see that it's pointy."

Husbands are a trial grin wink

I had very clear gender preference first time, to my surprise, fairly strong second time, and slight this time.

First two times I got what I "wanted" which given that I had serious ante natal depression was probably for the best.

This though will be my last pregnancy. Finding out at the scan that I'm expecting a DS3 was very hard. I had always pictured myself having two boys and a girl, in that order, so I felt briefly like I'd lost a girl I was entitled to, or something.

But I'm three months on from that discovery now and completely happy with the genitals of the unborn. My existing DC are so different yet similar that I have no particular expectations of what DS3 will be like.

What's harder, though, is other people's reactions. There are easy and obvious reactions to any mixture of sexes, so why do people say "oh dear" when you answer their question about the "flavour" of the bump?! angry hmm

buttercupski Sat 21-Sep-13 11:47:34

Showofhands, you've now made me both well up and laugh out loud in the space of about two mins. Well done and thank you!

ShowOfHands Sat 21-Sep-13 15:01:57

Making people both laugh and cry? It's like the story of my parenting in one pithy statement. grin

Franykins Mon 23-Sep-13 10:25:52

I've always wanted a girl as I'm rather girlie and can't imagine standing on a football pitch (very stereotypical I know) and doing boy things. We found out at our 12 week scan we are having twins. I then just wanted two of the same (who knows why) whether that be boys or girls (still secretly hoping for girls as DP already has 2 boys who live with us week on week off so wanted some back up haha) We had a private scan at 17 weeks and found out we are having one of each. I wouldn't say I was disappointed, but at the same time I did kind of feel that. How stupid now I look back on it, I'm currently 30+2. I am so lucky to be having a baby let alone two! And all signs are that both are very healthy and growing well (on the larger side of normal, this could get painful haha). After talking to some people who have twins and saying that I was worried boy/girl twins won't be as close as boy/boy or girl/girl I have been told rather a lot that actually people find they get on better. Who knows though, will just have to wait and find out.

It is safe to say that now I am overjoyed we're having one of each grin and so bloody lucky!

As my mum says, you can't help the way you feel. You will find it passes I'm sure and ShowOfHands has said made some very lovely, truthful and funny comments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now