Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Rough sex = miscarriage?

(28 Posts)
K8eee Fri 02-Aug-13 20:18:30

Ok when I mean rough sex, I don't mean whips and chains. I'm talking about being pounded hard grin but can this cause a miscarriage if the sex is too vigorous and rough?

katykuns Sat 03-Aug-13 22:30:43

As others have said, there is no clear risk to rough sex.
However, test the waters to begin with as I found hard thrusting really quite painful down there in the first trimester. Not sure why...

DaleyBump Sat 03-Aug-13 21:51:40

I understood you K8!!

K8eee Sat 03-Aug-13 21:48:10

I'm not laughing at the whole miscarriage thing just my naivety.

confuddledDOTcom Sat 03-Aug-13 18:54:11

grin

Writerwannabe83 Sat 03-Aug-13 18:52:44

I know I wouldn't be able to stop grin grin if my mom started talking to me about rough sex! Oh the shame grin

confuddledDOTcom Sat 03-Aug-13 17:45:20

I've had a miscarriage and an extreme prem. Am I allowed to grin at silly miscarriage advice? hmm

Oblomov Sat 03-Aug-13 14:09:30

I totally disagree with spotty and math. And think nothing of op's smile. And yes, I have had a miscarriage.

mathanxiety Sat 03-Aug-13 08:26:13

I agree with Spotty here. Miscarriage is much more [grim] than grin. I am guessing K8eee hasn't experienced one.

K8eee, ask your GP about this and do as advised. If you do miscarry for any reason there is normally nothing that can be done so you should find out.

FraggleRock77 Fri 02-Aug-13 23:10:44

I'm not an expert and everyone is different but we had normal (not soft) sex and i ended up being admitted with a possible miscarriage at 14 Wks. I've never seen so much blood. Put us both right off sex. My cervix was not happy!! grinX

confuddledDOTcom Fri 02-Aug-13 23:02:43

A smiley face next to a post about your own mum telling you about rough sex... I can see that having a place grin same with enjoying sex!

LuisSuarezTeeth Fri 02-Aug-13 22:41:04

There is no evidence to suggest that sex, hard or otherwise is at all dangerous for baby, as long as your pregnancy is progressing normally.

Good luck smile

DaleyBump Fri 02-Aug-13 22:32:18

Hoiking up your judgey pants spotty?

BlackholesAndRevelations Fri 02-Aug-13 21:47:56

Bloody hell. It's so sensitive down there at the moment that being "pounded hard" fucking hurts! (excuse my language)

K8eee Fri 02-Aug-13 21:41:44

How is putting a smiley face on this post offensive? I'm laughing at how naive I am probably coming across

spottybanana Fri 02-Aug-13 21:38:19

You really think it's appropriate to put a smiley face on any post related to miscarriage?

confuddledDOTcom Fri 02-Aug-13 21:32:09

If anything happens to your pregnancy you will go back over and see what you can blame it on. I've heard some odd things that people blame, but things like sex recently aren't so odd when you're looking for an excuse. If you survey all the women who successfully carry about how many times they had sex during pregnancy, you'll soon find it's not connected to how long they carry.

K8eee Fri 02-Aug-13 21:20:12

It was only because my mum mentioned it to me grin ok well I'll let dh start as he means to go on or carry on as he means to go on grin

Razzdazz Fri 02-Aug-13 21:06:08

Not caused us any problems and we are at 30 weeks now grin

DaleyBump Fri 02-Aug-13 20:50:08

What Caja said.

CajaDeLaMemoria Fri 02-Aug-13 20:47:51

Jamtoast If you are already bleeding vaginally, they advise against sex even if you aren't pregnant.

It's so that they can tell that it isn't due to a sex-related injury, or something that sex is worsening. They need to be able to monitor easily, and that's not possible if you've DTD.

jamtoast12 Fri 02-Aug-13 20:43:00

I'd avoid in the early weeks. I had bleeding in the first few weeks of all my pregnancies (all progressed well) and each time I was told to avoid sex,.... If its completely safe, then why do they advise against it?

DaleyBump Fri 02-Aug-13 20:34:12

Nope, your cervix is closed :p perfectly safe, just make sure you're comfortable smile buggered my back the other day dtd with dp blush

K8eee Fri 02-Aug-13 20:31:54

I'm in the early stages, only 6 weeks or so. The other thing that does concern me is that, dh withdraws what I think to be too much and (I apologise if tmi!!!) if we're in doggy then he stops and we switch positions I fanny fart from the amount of air he's put inside me grin will this cause any problems?

headinhands Fri 02-Aug-13 20:31:00

I reckon rough sex like you describe is more likely to cause pregnancy than otherwise.

DaleyBump Fri 02-Aug-13 20:28:31

It's not possible unless you have a medical condition, like placenta previa or something. You're fine smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now