Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

When did your feet/ankles start swelling up?

(19 Posts)
suntodayplease Thu 01-Aug-13 22:14:32

Random question I know, and last pregnancy was only 3 years ago, yet I can't remember when I started to get really uncomfortable with swollen fingers and ankles! 30weeks and rings and shoes still fitting fine, so when should I expect to balloon up?!

DaleyBump Thu 01-Aug-13 22:20:17

I'm 22+5 and been getting swollen fingers since about 14 weeks. My feet and eyes have been starting to swell up today. I think it must be different for everyone, although it's worrying me that it could be the start of pre-eclampsia.

EagleRay Thu 01-Aug-13 22:20:29

My hands didn't really swell at all, and my feet were mostly fine too, apart from the odd day here and there. However, a couple of days after the birth my feet swelled so much I thought they would split open - it was vile!

They returned to normal after a week or two - not sure if my experience is common or not tho. I probably avoided a lot of the swelling as was heavily pg in the middle of winter.

DaleyBump Thu 01-Aug-13 22:21:05

Eyes, haha! Imagine walking about with bug eyes? grin

suntodayplease Thu 01-Aug-13 22:27:30

Oh I had the post birth swelling too, I'm sure there's an official term for it. I think I peed it out after a couple of days but I recall struggling to get my shoes on to leave hospital! Gosh another lovely post birth thing to look forward to!

I never did guess some of us are just lucky!

rowtunda Thu 01-Aug-13 22:36:00

Good question I def had massively swollen ankles last time towards the end and had to take my rings off but I can't remember how far along I was. It was a summer pregnancy like this time too - currently 30weeks and feet have gone up a shoe size but ankles and feet. Don't actually look swollen yet.

I think it is more a curse of a summer pregnancy - willing to stand corrected though

suntodayplease Thu 01-Aug-13 22:42:11

Strangely my last pregnancy was a winter one, yet I must have got puffy hands and feet earlier? Just one of those things, fingers crossed (although not swollen!) I can avoid the mitchellin look for a while longer.

matilda101 Thu 01-Aug-13 22:44:20

I didn't have swollen feet/ankles at all in my first pregnancy however I had a January baby; I am currently 39 weeks pregnant and my feet and ankles are huge! I think it's probably to do with the weather as well. They started swelling about a month ago-around the time that the heat wave struck!

Ruralninja Thu 01-Aug-13 22:45:10

24 weeks and getting occasional fatlady ankles after lots of sitting/standing at work...first pg and rings etc still fit (for now!) smile smile

katemeister Fri 02-Aug-13 06:32:45

Bang on 21 weeks, coincided with the really hot weather - my ankles have vanished!

bunchofposy Fri 02-Aug-13 19:44:00

I am also 39 weeks Matilda and mine have been swollen since the beginning of the heatwave too. And my fingers. So attractive!

Twinklestarstwinklestars Fri 02-Aug-13 20:00:54

Mine didn't at all in all 3 pregnancies.

Romily Fri 02-Aug-13 21:34:04

I have been puffy since I found out I was pregnant. Now 13 weeks and my shoes are all tight. Mind you I don't think the heat is helping.

I'm not swelling and I'm 27 weeks - thank god!

Puffy hands, face and particularly eyes can be a sign of an overactive thyroid so anybody with those get checked out!

AwwCrumpets Sat 03-Aug-13 08:46:15

Around 30weeks started having swollen feet and hands put it down to working on my feet and was currently a heat wave in April-may.

Turned out to be pre eclampsia a couple weeks later was noticed by midwife at app with urine test thing,was prescribed meds from hospital.
Had induced pfb at 35+5.

Should always mention swelling to midwife imo just incase.

AwwCrumpets Sat 03-Aug-13 08:50:25

Il correct think it may have been pre pre-eclampsia if there's such a thing as il be honest I didn't ask many questions and just went along with medical advise.

I wasn't ill besides swelling right up to birth,never had so much blood taken in my life over last couple weeks,swear I could still feel a needle in my arm for a while after.

Bunbaker Sat 03-Aug-13 08:52:59

Never. DD was a July baby, but we had a crap summer and heat wasn't a problem.

Jollyb Sat 03-Aug-13 09:27:27

They didn't

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now