Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

c sections- really that bad?

(34 Posts)
lozza22 Wed 17-Jul-13 20:17:02

okay girls, Im going to have to have a c section with this baby (third one) cos i had prolapse surgery recently.

Im only sixish weeks gone but already googling it as its somthing ive never given alot of thought to with my last two deliveries having been vaginal ones (hence prolapse!).

Alot of what im reading is all about how awful recovery from c section is and the potential compliations etc.
I need to be fairly sufficient after the baby arrives cos my youngest will still be three and still pretty dependent on me and hubby can only be around for a week as hes self employed.

Suppose what im really hoping for is some experiences from people who have been through a section whether that be good or bad. That way i can gear myself up for whats to come, thanks

shallweshop Wed 17-Jul-13 22:09:06

Should just add that there is only 2 years between DD and DS so I didn't have to factor in school runs or anything.

Wheredidmyyouthgo Wed 17-Jul-13 22:17:22

I had DD by ELCS. It was immense, I feel very blessed and lucky to have had such a joyful and, er, completely pain free birth.

From what I've read, EMCS is a different kettle of fish, and can in general leave a person feeling very shaken and sore.

lozza22 Wed 17-Jul-13 22:41:30

thanks duchesse and shallweshop for the positive vibes it sounds like u had very good experiences, im truly hoping for a very straightforward event

crazyhead Thu 18-Jul-13 13:14:30

I am due a second elective section in the autumn, my first EMCS was fine. I'd say

* Make sure you are fit pre section, iron levels are OK if possible, you don't put on silly amounts of weight etc.
*Get lots of help, and don't ignore what you are told about lifting. A few weeks being demanding could save months of pain. Don't play the hero
* Take the laxatives they give you. Constipation was the worst side effect of my section
* Get up and moving, but gently and on your own terms

I had a ELCS with DC2 after a horrible experience the first time. I loved it and would have another if we ever went for DC3. You will probably need more than a weeks help though if possible

Primrose123 Thu 18-Jul-13 13:32:53

My first delivery was horrendous, long and painful, I had forceps, episiotomy, epidural and my midwife was horrible. I took weeks, if not months to recover, and think I had PND.

Because of this I had a planned c-section for my second. It was great, calm and painless. I had no PND at all. I was home within 4 days. I felt a little bruised and fragile, but not in pain, and was able to do most things slowly and carefully. I was driving within about three weeks, after checking with my GP and insurance company. I did need a short nap in the afternoons for the first two weeks or so.

Primrose123 Thu 18-Jul-13 13:35:53

My first delivery was horrendous, long and painful, I had forceps, episiotomy, epidural and my midwife was horrible. I took weeks, if not months to recover, and think I had PND.

Because of this I had a planned c-section for my second. It was great, calm and painless. I had no PND at all. I was home within 4 days. I felt a little bruised and fragile, but not in pain, and was able to do most things slowly and carefully. I was driving within about three weeks, after checking with my GP and insurance company. I did need a short nap in the afternoons for the first two weeks or so.

Primrose123 Thu 18-Jul-13 13:36:17

Sorry posted twice. blush

maggiethemagpie Thu 18-Jul-13 18:31:40

I had an EMCS last time and it was fine. I don't remember there being too much pain after the first couple of days, and besides they give you strong painkillers.
This time round I'm going for an elective section as due to my medical condition I will have a 2/3 chance of having a section if I try and give birth vaginally via an induction, and after having a terrible experience last time when baby got into distress I've decided just to go for the section.
The hardest thing for me will be juggling a newborn with a toddler after the section, but hopefully family will be able to help with that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now