Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Wipes in hospital

(53 Posts)
Gonnabmummy Sun 30-Jun-13 14:14:00

Just wondering if any mums went ahead and used wipes anyway?

I am 31+4 with first and been thinking about this a bit today so decided to post. Hospital encourage you to only use cotton wool and water to start, I was wondering what they would say if you didn't?
I've got some of the Huggins pure wipes And they say they are as pure as wool and water.
I think wipes will be so much easier as I've read on here meconium is very hard to get off. What did everyone else do? I know they will pressure me into cotton wool and water but is it bad to use wipes what would happen if I did?
My mum used wipes for both me and Dsis when we were in hosp and every new mum I've seen at home in the first couple days also used them. I just don't want to be made out to be a bad mum straight away if this is the case I will just use wool and water but I don't see a problem with the 'gentler' wipes.

intarsia Sun 30-Jun-13 14:50:41

We were told cotton wool and water at hospital. With ds2 I thought "forget that!" and used them. He had the most terrible reaction to them & a sore bum for ages, and they were the sensitive ones.
We moved on to wipes after a week or so.

K8Middleton Sun 30-Jun-13 14:59:41

I always found cotton wool made loads of dust. That can't be good for anyone. I would hope nobody would be so rude to you in hospital but if they are I think once you've delivered a baby (regardless of how, when, where and interventions) you have every right to take the easy option every time.

I wouldn't bother with Huggies Pure wipes myself because they're not that pure if you look at the ingredients but mainly because they tear very easily. I like these wipes because they really do have fewer nasties but you have to shop around for the best deal.

Once the merconium stage is over I can recommend washable wipes. They are gentler than a wet muslin and are actually fine to use. You'll still want disposable wipes from time to time for out and about or poonarmis but when you're spending something crazy like £120 a year on wipes it's worth considering.

mrspaddy Sun 30-Jun-13 14:59:58

Hi OP.. have you thought about Water Wipes from Amazon? That is what I am going to pack

EagleRay Sun 30-Jun-13 15:13:52

I second k8 on the washable wipes - they are brilliant and even used them on holiday smile

maja00 Sun 30-Jun-13 15:20:25

I used cotton wool (pads obviously, not balls!) and water for ages with DS, but would be surprised if anyone in the hospital would even have noticed let alone had an opinion.

rundontwalk Sun 30-Jun-13 15:25:00

The midwives are highly unlikely to notice what you use in my experience. But for both of mine I've used cotton wool (the bigger pads not the balls/wool) & water for at least the first couple of months Then Pampers sensitive or occasionally Boots/Sains unfragranced.

I tried a few others by using them to take my makeup off & they stung like hell! Agree with a previous poster-found all Johnson's products really harsh on skin. My hairdresser said she uses the shampoo to strip out colour!Personal choice though. As an aside,we found Metanium cream really useful for the odd nappy rash.

You may get comments from midwives r.e wipes or another issue but you probably won't. If you do,don't take it to heart. Your baby,your choice. & by baby number 2 you generally get left alone!

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy & birth smile

You could take the middle road, Gonnabmommy - use the cotton wool and water for wees, and if the midwives are watching, and wipes for meconium. What matters is getting the baby's bottom clean, so don't let it stress you.

When your baby arrives, please give them a snuggle from me - my precious firstborn turns 20 this year and this thread has made me all nostalgic for those tiny-baby cuddles!

mikkii Sun 30-Jun-13 15:34:59

I tended to use cotton wool and water at home mainly because money was tight and I could economise here but always wipes when out, also wipes when DM doing it as she has limited mobility and I didn't want her walking around with a bowl of water.

I also furtively used wipes in hospital and no-one commented. I have 3DC.

But, definitely Metanium for nappy rash. DS never had it, but DD1 had open blisters, fortunately someone recommended Metaniun and even though DD2 is now potty trained (but still in nappies at night) it is still a necessity.

ineedduckie Sun 30-Jun-13 15:41:25

Thanks for asking that question OP as I was wondering the same thing. I'm due my 2nd and with my first i made a total mess of trying to wash meconium off with cotton wool, plus I didn't have a container for water so had to keep running to the sink, PITA!
So after seeing this I'll certainly be taking wipes!

Ginderella Sun 30-Jun-13 15:42:58

Just use the wipes if you want to if there is only a bit of poop to clean up. Wipes are loads easier that farting around with bits of cotton wool and water. I could never understand the whole "top and tail" with babies when it's just as easy to stick them in a bath!

Don't take any notice of what Midwives or HVs say now or later!! You don't need their permission to do anything - it's your baby.

Congratulations and good luck with the birth.

I think it depends on the baby, a couple of days after DD was born I used the huggies wipes, the ones where it says on the pack as kind to skin as water. Within 2 days her poor little bum was really sore. Went back to cotton wool for a couple of weeks then tried with the wipes again and this time no problem.
I would go for a compromise of using wipes to clean up then maybe a swab after with some water to get anything off the skin that might irritate.

Also after I'd spent an age cleaning DDs first delightful bowel movement up, I heard a midwife telling a woman in the next bed to use dry cotton wool to take offf the thick of the meconium and then when 90% was gone to use wet to clean up. Wish she'd told me! grin

thistlelicker Sun 30-Jun-13 15:55:54

Hospital here says u can use either or it personal choice

AmandaCooper Sun 30-Jun-13 16:30:04

I used wipes no problem - midwife said they were completely fine.

Gonnabmummy Sun 30-Jun-13 16:31:25

Friends bought me a big box of the buggies pure that's why I have them I haven't gone and bought any but will look at water wipes thanks.

SDTG good thinking I wouldn't mind using water for just a wee. And I will he will be smothered with cuddles :D xx

BigBongTheory Sun 30-Jun-13 16:34:28

I doubt the midwife will notice. Ime you'll be very lucky to even see one after you've given birth!

PastaBeeandCheese Sun 30-Jun-13 17:11:22

Another vote for Waterwipes from Amazon or Waitrose. They don't have any chemicals in them. They are literally water on a wipe.

I used them with DD for about 6 weeks before moving on to Pampers. I plan to do the same with DC2.

K8Middleton Sun 30-Jun-13 17:15:40

If you are very pfb you can do the nose wipe test. If wiping your own nose as if you were blowing your nose stings don't use them.

Onetwo34 Sun 30-Jun-13 17:33:11

Ah it didn't really bother me. I was sounding more grumpy and less jokey than I meant to.

Sleepthief Sun 30-Jun-13 18:04:16

I'll be using cotton wool pads and warm water for DC4 because I find baby wipes burn and sting MY skin, let alone a tiny newborn. I do use wipes once they're bigger...

weakestlink Sun 30-Jun-13 19:53:04

Wipes all the way here...!
I have bought a pack of Water Wipes but once that's gone it will be huggies pure or some other gentle type.
This is DC3 and did the same for other 2 with no problems.
If anyone in the hospital comments then they are welcome to come and faff about with cotton wool and water!!!

Xmasbaby11 Sun 30-Jun-13 20:34:40

I would take the wipes and try them on your baby. I think it just depends how sensitive the skin is. I did use cotton wool for the first couple of weeks but it was a pain!

Lydia161290 Sun 30-Jun-13 22:22:59

I've packed cotton wool, but still plan to use wipes when I return from the hospital. I just don't have any room in my bag for a packet of wipes, if I did, I would have brought a packet!

Twinklestarstwinklestars Mon 01-Jul-13 02:50:42

I was in last week and no one even asked if I was ok changing him or what I was using I was just shown a bed but it was my third and I didn't have a section or anything. I used naty wipes but will use pampers sensitive.

EMUZ Mon 01-Jul-13 03:33:51

I think some of the wipes are trial and error. The only brand (including makeup wipes!) I can use on my eyes are j&j fragrance free. Yet my friends baby reacted to them but has no problem with the huggies pure

babyhmummy01 Mon 01-Jul-13 06:53:51

gonnabe I am taking wipes, if they kick off they can get ready for an argument!! My baby my choice!

Part of my job previously at work was to do with legal declarations so huggies etc cannot claim that they are like using cotton wool and water if they aren't so frankly they must be ok

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now