Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Anyone NOT had an NT scan? What happened?

(59 Posts)
TobyLerone Fri 28-Jun-13 14:55:30

I missed my NT scan appointment yesterday. It was my own fault. I got the time wrong.

Anyway, long story short, the hospital now aren't sure whether or not they can fit me in before the 14-week deadline. It needs to be done in the next week, and I won't know until Tuesday at the earliest whether or not they can do it.

I have spoken to my midwife and she said that if the worst comes to the worst, they'll scan me anyway (they wanted to check my fibroids at the same time) but just not be able to measure NT. Then they'll give me '2nd trimester blood tests' to check for DS etc.

I'm quite concerned about not having the scan done. There's nowhere local which does them privately. Anyone else been as stupid as me been in this situation?

5madthings Tue 02-Jul-13 16:57:32

Yay! Good luck, hope all goes well xxx

TobyLerone Tue 02-Jul-13 16:33:52

Thanks for all your help, everyone smile

The horrid receptionist (who has redeemed herself now, and been given the benefit of the doubt by me!) called back and asked if I can come in tomorrow at 12. Of course I can!

I'm going to assume she had a couple of bad days last week and let her off smile

lightrain Tue 02-Jul-13 13:45:33

Baby bond do weekends. You should be able to check availability online, just go through as if you were booking and the available spaces will show up.

Fingers crossed hospital can fit you in.

TobyLerone Tue 02-Jul-13 10:30:50

I might as well call this afternoon anyway. Then I'll make arrangements for a Babybond one immediately (if they can fit me in!) if the hospital can't help. The receptionist did say that it was quite possible there would be a cancellation in time this week, but that she just couldn't tell me until the system was working. If the system isn't working by this afternoon, I'll have to give up, I think.

The other issue is that obviously DH would like to be there if possible. It'll realistically take him about an hour and a half to get home from work. The hospital is very local, but the Babybond place is a good extra 30 minutes away. Either one will be a fairly last-minute appointment, I would imagine, so the local hospital gives a little more likelihood that he'll make it. It's a small consideration in the big scheme of things, but a consideration nonetheless.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Tue 02-Jul-13 10:14:22

toby - I totally understand. To be honest, when mine was fucked up with DS, I just booked the private scan. I didn't want the aggro.

Is it worth just leaving the receptionist to her own devices and not worrying about it anymore if you have the babybond one?

TobyLerone Tue 02-Jul-13 09:50:28

Oh, that must have been worrying for you. Well, I know I'm not having twins, so at least I can have the blood test.

DeffoBossLa Tue 02-Jul-13 09:47:41

When I went for my first scan they decided I was over 14 weeks so it was too late. I couldn't have the blood test because I was having twins.I basically just had to wait until they were born. They both both fine.

TobyLerone Tue 02-Jul-13 09:43:54

Oh, bless you smile

Confrontation isn't really my thing -- and phone calls terrify me. I'm already dreading calling later blush

The problem is that the ultrasound dept is having a new computer system installed and they're still testing it. I know this to be true. In the meantime, they can't give out any new appointments, nor can they see any cancellations. Despite the fact that the receptionist was really quite nasty and rude, I know that it's not her fault that she can't help. I'm not sure that anyone above her could help either.
They're so busy at the moment that fitting in a half hour appointment for someone who didn't turn up at their allotted appointment time might well be impossible, regardless of who I speak to.

I really appreciate the info, Gobbo. Thank you so much for going to the trouble. If it were not my fault in the first place, you can bet I'd be raising merry hell about it! But as it is, I don't really feel like I can make demands.

I am lucky enough to have the option to go private, so I kind of feel like I should, rather than force them to give me an appointment which might be better used on someone who didn't cock up. If they have a cancellation, I'll take it. But I don't feel like I can push it. I'm not above a bit of begging, though!

I will still complain about the horrid receptionist, but not about the lack of replacement appointments.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Tue 02-Jul-13 09:25:06

toby - I spoke to DH's aunt last night and she gave me a few tips. She said you need to go above the jobs worth receptionists now. They're looking at it from a purely non-medical/ethical point if view. Fair enough but you need to speak to someone who actually gets that part

You should call or turn up at the hospital and insist on seeing either the head sonographer or the lead consultant. Obviously you would have to wait to see them but yiu can politely insist to fo that. If they ate not available at all, ask to soeak to the supervisor of midwives. Explain that you may consider a termination if there are abnormalities (think you said that up thread). Therefore, if they absolutely cannot fit you in now for a scan, the net result is that you could end up having a late termination post 20 weeks which arguably is medically not the best option plus, arguably, potentially more traumatic for you due to the methods that would need to be used (she did stress - if course - that any termination at any stage is traumatic).

That being the case, the prejudice to you is much outweighed by their basic refusal to fit you in

Her view us that, if you are there in person, they are much more likely to fit you in than if you speak to them on the phone.

Notwithstanding all of this, you should still have your babybond scan as back up

TobyLerone Tue 02-Jul-13 07:42:05

I actually wish that I hadn't rung, and had just turned up 10 mins late iinstead. They might have seen me then. So much for doing the right thing! grin

plummyjam Tue 02-Jul-13 07:06:00

Just to add my tuppeneth, I really think they should have scanned you on the day.

OK you were running late but you rang to let them know, chances are the scan clinic was running late too so it probably wouldn't have inconvenienced anyone. They know that the NT scan is time critical, it just seems sad to me that they couldn't cut you some slack. Others may not have been in a position to pay privately having missed it.

I'm a hcp and patients are often late for appointments but if there is a good reason, or they ring up to let us know eg: stuck in traffic - in fact even if they do none of the above and are late but it's obviously important they need to be seen the same day then we see them.

I hope everything gets sorted out in time for you OP.

TobyLerone Tue 02-Jul-13 06:48:22

It's today that the secretary should be getting back to me. A lady on my antenatal thread had an appointment at the same hospital yesterday and said that the computer system was still down then, so today should be the day! If I haven't heard by lunchtime, I'll ring them.

Theas18 Mon 01-Jul-13 23:22:40

Any luck op?

TobyLerone Sun 30-Jun-13 11:35:40

Ok, well there is a Babybond place about 20 miles from me, so I will contact them if no joy on Tuesday.

Thanks for the recommendations smile

PoppyAmex Sun 30-Jun-13 11:17:56

I had loads of scans with Babybond too (both in previous and current pregnancies) and thought they were excellent.

I'm actually having another tomorrow and just found out that they now do "abbreviated" versions of certain scans, a lot cheaper. (eg gender scans for 39 pounds and "quick assure" for 59 pounds).

lightrain Sun 30-Jun-13 09:16:20

Another vote for baby bond, they are excellent and in my opinion, it's totally worth £100 to have the NT scan. My experience if bloods only is also that they give false positives (well, increased risk where there is none, as N.t is not a diagnosis but a risk ratio, obviously. From what I read about it at the time, this is more likely to happen if you are carrying a boy, interestingly).

NHS are not being that helpful and time is of the essence, so I'd stop bothering with secretaries, midwives, etc. (stressful and annoying!) and just book baby bond.

fuckwittery Sun 30-Jun-13 09:10:31

Sorry, just re-read and saw that Patau's syndrome, showed up for your baby on the 20 week scan Humphreys, so I am guessing the answer is yes, it does show up then.

fuckwittery Sun 30-Jun-13 09:08:39

Humphrey am sorry to hear about your test results, am angry to read that the NT also tests for Patau's and Edwards as I specifically asked my MW if the bloods and nuchal fold scan were for anything other than Downs and she said no. I didn't want to know about Downs but I would have definitely wanted to know about Pataus and Edwards

Does anyone know if you don't have the NT, would these show up on the 20 week?

TobyLerone Sat 29-Jun-13 22:14:26

YY definitely an excellent point. I also meant to say that I'm sorry about the decision you had to make, Humphrey. It must have been unbearable and I can't possibly imagine flowers

hazeyjane Sat 29-Jun-13 22:05:11

Like HumphreyCobbler, I had a private scan, more to check for Edwards than downs, as there is a family history. As it was our tests and scans came back as 'normal', but ds has another genetic condition that didn't show up.

PoppyAmex Sat 29-Jun-13 21:55:20

Humphrey that was actually a very good point.

In every interaction I had with HCPs they always mentioned Downs and asked what we would do in that case, but I keep pointing out that if there are markers for Edwards or Patau I'd want to know NOW to terminate asap.

HumphreyCobbler Sat 29-Jun-13 18:54:58

I didn't particularly mean you Toby - I tend to want to mention it when people say they wouldn't have the test as they would not terminate for Down Syndrome. I think my history makes me wants to point out that there are other, terminal conditions that the screen is for.

I possibly feel defensive about the decision I made, and this is really no one's problem but my own.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sat 29-Jun-13 18:54:22

My understanding from DH's Aunt is that trials show there is more of a risk of a false positive which can then lead to an amino which has it's own risks.

She also pointed out that the 12 week test obviously gives you an earlier answer. Obviously, some people will carry on with the pregnancy come what may. But, if you chose not or are unsure, then finding out the results at 12 weeks gives you longer to consider your options.

I do not know the margin of false positives and I'm very aware that the 12 week test is relatively new and not offered everywhere so the 16 week bloods can be a very good option. However, personally, we preferred to pay privately for the 12 week NT test for the reasons we discussed with her

5madthings Sat 29-Jun-13 18:52:15

The scan and the blood tests results is more accurate? I think they combine those results with your age to give the risk assessment?

Also the scan is done earlier than the triple test bloods? In my area at least the blood test is done at sixteen wks, by getting the nuchal scan at 12/13 wks I knew if I got high risk I had the option of CVS which can be done earlier than an amnio. For me finding out earlier if there was a problem would have given me a bit of time to decide what to do. I am not sure what choice I would make but for me at least if I was going to terminate I would rather have done it sooner than later.

Excited85 Sat 29-Jun-13 18:44:15

So are the blood tests not as accurate/good then? The sonographer at my 12 week didn't mention anything about the blood test being inferior when she couldn't get the measurements so I believed that the result of my bloods was as accurate as the scan info. If I'd known that they perhaps weren't I might have paid for a second scan, just thought one option was as good as the other?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now