Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

It's a boy! What do I do now??

(40 Posts)
Expectans Thu 20-Jun-13 15:17:36

I have just been told I am having a boy. I have NO IDEA what to do with a boy. So far there have been 6 little girls in my family, so no one else will have any idea either. I had visions of dolls houses and pretty dresses.

I am delighted that so far it, he, is healthy, but help! I am feeling clueless. Did anyone else feel the same?

forevergreek Thu 20-Jun-13 17:55:15

Iv only been wee'ed on once ( not bad with 2 boys), I dot think most pee that often when nappy is off

Also clothes so much easier. Eventually girls have trousers/ shorts/ skirts/ dresses. Boys generally have trousers or shorts, that's it smile

MummyAbroad Thu 20-Jun-13 21:49:23

Dont put your cup of tea on the changing table next to baby boy - mine once weed up in a perfect arc and straight into the cup!

DianeDavies Fri 21-Jun-13 13:44:38

My boy is 13yrs old and I'm still perplexed. I come from a background of ALL girls so I had no idea what you do with a boy. Yes there is the uncontrolable hosepipe issue but you soon learn to dodge that. I struggled with play time... what on earth do you do with trains (brum)? ..cars are boring (to me)... is it really necessary to dissect the dead fly from the windowsill (wings and legs everywhere).. I dont find trumping hilarious..theres got to be better places to relax your hand than down your pants.. pictures of flowers are nicer than pictures of people with eyes hanging out surely.. how do you brush boys hair?

v funny thread!

i'm expecting a boy and he will be the first in my family for 4 generations! i have no experience with boy whatsoever but i'm sure i'll manage grin. i'll watch out for errant hosepipes thats for sure...

SoupDragon Fri 21-Jun-13 14:40:12

)... is it really necessary to dissect the dead fly from the windowsill (wings and legs everywhere).. I dont find trumping hilarious..theres got to be better places to relax your hand than down your pants.. pictures of flowers are nicer than pictures of people with eyes hanging out surely..

Thing is, DD (7) likes dissecting dead flies, trumping and drawing pictures of vampires with dripping fangs. She also drew an anatomically correct picture of a heart when drawing a picture of how our cat died recently. hmm

I think it's children I don't understand rather than boys per se grin

DianeDavies Fri 21-Jun-13 14:42:46

soupdragon Glad its not just my child then, haha. But I'm sure we didnt do things like that when we were kids - kids are wierd these days!! wink

JollyShortGiant Fri 21-Jun-13 14:44:39

I have a boy. The lack of tights and hair bobbles in our house is lovely.

We know the names of lots of tractors and different types of agricultural and construction machinery. I have to learn this to tell him. Living rurally in a village that is building new houses at a rate of knots I think any child would be interested in what's going on around them.

spiderlight Fri 21-Jun-13 14:48:39

I did, briefly, but boys are brilliant. They are cuddly and funny and you get to play with much better toys!

SoupDragon Fri 21-Jun-13 16:00:48

I'm sure we didnt do things like that when we were kids

I used to peel rolled up woodlice grin

MummyAbroad Fri 21-Jun-13 16:53:50

..another advantage, we have just had nits and its easy peasy to get rid of from short boy hair. My hair on the other hand too aaaaaages <wail>

and yes, remote control electric toys are brill.

runningonwillpower Fri 21-Jun-13 16:59:03

Congratulations Expectans!

Worry not. Your baby boy will teach you everything you need to know.

AdoraBell Fri 21-Jun-13 17:06:03

Can I just say that our DDs managed to pee in daddy's face as babies? No idea how as it's supposed not to happen, but it can, clearly. And they did the dissecting dead things too, and DD2 loves playing with her Hot Wheels, and play fighting with the dog, I'm not so keen on that activity.

DianeDavies Fri 21-Jun-13 19:30:32

Soupdragon Aaaaaaarrgghh!!!! shock wink

AdoraBell Fri 21-Jun-13 19:56:05

Me too Soupdragon grin

TinkyPeet Fri 21-Jun-13 22:31:29

My dd finds farts hillarious
Tbh....so do I grin
And I get far more squishy cuddles from ds1 than I do from dd who just likes being a cow Independant
Boys are fantastic smile
And there is nothing better than rolling down a grassy hill on a sunny day, with both ds and dd

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now