Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Pregnancy pillows - seriously?

(80 Posts)
LouiseD29 Sat 11-May-13 07:09:07

A 27 weeks and starting to get really uncomfortable in bed with ongoing back pain. Have heard from a few people that 'swear by' pregnancy pillows, but I can't shake the feeling that it would be a pointless extravagance to get one when I would only need it for a few months, and can't believe they really better than just wedging myself in with normal pillows.

Any devotees care to convince me otherwise?

Newtobecomingamum Sat 11-May-13 15:13:04

I have tried pregnancy pillows, v shaped pillows, normal pillows, rolled up quilts... Absolutely everything! Nothing has and doesn't work for me : ( just can't get bloody comfortable so haven't a good night sleep for months!! I only have a few weeks left to go and can't wait! I don't care that I will be up all night when the baby comes as at least at some point in the day or night I can get even an hour decent sleep it will be worth it! : ) I'd save my money! X

Cheffie100 Sat 11-May-13 17:39:42

Have a dream genii and could live without it or recommended highly enough. I'm 34 weeks and not had a bad night sleep yet. The great thing is that they are portable too so you can take to living room or when staying with friends.

Fully intend to use mine when breastfeeding- apparently they come into their own then

Snowflakepie Sat 11-May-13 17:55:44

Haven't used one through either of my pregnancies, I found that a foam topper on the whole bed has been more use at easing hip pain. I'm not sure exactly where a snake pillow would go or how it would help tbh! But then I am a side sleeper anyway. If you have spare pillows or duvets then try that first, otherwise there are some good bargains around it seems.

Lots of people seem to like the snake for feeding so it might help then. But as I didn't do that either, it really would have been a waste for me. You will spend a lot more than £10 on random baby stuff that gets used for a few months and of course, there's always #2 (3,4) and you can sell stuff on when you're done.

plannedshock Sun 12-May-13 04:32:39

I've got the snake one. Was fab for sleeping towards the end. Dd is now 5wks and I've used it for resting arms and lifting her when feeding, to stop me moving when she slept on my chest now use it to lean against when breastfeeding. I'm glad I had it.

somanymiles Sun 12-May-13 05:51:31

Totally loved my pregnancy pillow - banana shaped one. Used it for breastfeeding pillow afterwards so it got used for a loooong time!

tomatoplantproject Sun 12-May-13 05:59:00

I had pgp and insomnia throughout pregnancy and bought a dream genii in desperation. I could not get on with it - extra pillows were better. I thought it would be fab for breastfeeding but I just got in a tangle and pillows/cushions easier. Waste of money ime.

Thinkingof4 Sun 12-May-13 09:32:46

I have a long straight pillow, got it when pg with ds1, now nearly 33weeks with ds4 and I've used it through each pregnancy. It's really comfy and I sleep pretty well. Best £20 I ever spent!

Thinkingof4 Sun 12-May-13 09:33:28

Oops I mean dc4 (though may well be another ds)

june2013 Sun 12-May-13 14:37:00

I have a genii one and it's good but sometimes it falls out of the bed and I end of sleeping with a normal pillow between my knees. Also stayed in hotels, etc and used normal pillows. I think the genii is nice, but could have done without it...

Katydive Sun 12-May-13 16:40:49

I bought a Dreamgeni recently at Homesense as it was a bargain, but it has had very little use, it is great for when you are on one side but as soon as I turn (frequently I might add) or get up to the loo (several times a night) it is a faff to climb over and re-position without disturbing DH too much. I have gone back to a large cushion between the legs which is much easier to sling about. The material is also quite thin and when turning split at one of the seams. I wasn't really impressed for the money.

abigboydidit Sun 12-May-13 19:12:28

I loved mine!! Banana shaped one filled with foam balls from John Lewis. Really helped as I needed 2 pillows (1 between knees and other supporting bump) otherwise which was a real hassle every time I needed to turn over. Used it to support DS during BFing after emergency CS & later as crash mat prop when he was starting to sit unaided. Best £30 I spent during pregnancy.

OrangeFootedScrubfowl Sun 12-May-13 19:16:33

Rolled up duvet much better.

gillybeandramaqueen Mon 13-May-13 14:12:24

I got the snake one in Argos for 35 quid... it was money VERY well spent!! :-) X

ButteryJam Mon 13-May-13 17:20:01

I wouldn't bother with one at all - I used it for less than 2 weeks and now it is just sitting around!

What would help more is a mattress topper (if your mattress is not up to it) or a visit to an osteopath! smile

nannyl Mon 13-May-13 21:27:23

dream geni is worth its weight in gold to me.

Im using at again now for my second pregnancy and at 34 weeks i really dont believe i could have a decent nights sleep without it

Orchardbeck Tue 21-May-13 15:05:46

I love my Dream Genii, I couldn't live without it. I'm on to my second pregnancy now, 32 weeks in and got it out again almost as soon as I found out I was pregnant with number two as my hips ached like mad. I like to sleep on my back and it is the only thing that stops me from doing this.

Forgetfulmog Tue 21-May-13 15:08:18

Yes yes yes buy one. Mine was invaluable with bf too

Saundy Tue 21-May-13 22:07:07

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004T31A8U/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1369169944&sr=8-2&pi=SL75

I got this one a couple of weeks ago & my sleep has improved tenfold - as has DPs as I don't steal all the quilt any more. It's like a huge hug/cocoon & I have even been sleeping through DPs snoring!

The only bad point is it has pretty much removed all physical contact between me & DP through the night. I find myself cuddling the pillow rather than him & he can't really get near me.

Zipitydooda Tue 21-May-13 22:27:53

I have a long bolster pillow that I still use (my youngest child is nearly 2!)

My DH calls it my boyfriend.

To be fair; I have a bad back and it really helps me to not be v uncomfortable by the morning.

emmyloo2 Wed 22-May-13 04:19:30

I have the dream genie I bought with DS1 and have used it this pregnancy. I really liked it. I just ordered it from Amazon - it wasn't expensive and well worth it.

VestaCurry Wed 22-May-13 04:38:00

I'm still using mine and haven't been pregnant for 10 years blush. I take it everywhere, cannot sleep without it. It could do with replacing but it was made by Grobag and they don't make them anymore sad. Essentially, the right ones can be brilliant but the wrong ones obviously useless. I've tried others as potential replacements but had to send them back.

LouiseD29 Wed 22-May-13 07:10:44

I voiced this dilemma in RL and my boss has now lent me his wife's. Result!

Joskar Tue 28-May-13 15:57:31

I got a dreamgenii off ebay. Wash the covers and it's grand. Less than half the cost of new. I don't know that I would have paid full price for one but it is certainly more comfortable than constant readjustment of loads of pillows.

If your hips are sore get a referral to a physio straight away. SPD/PGP is common but not normal. The physio can help and if they say they can't ask to see a different physio. Believe me. I speak as one who can no longer walk the length of a room because of a stupid physio and my own naivety in believing that I needed to suffer.

Chunderella Tue 28-May-13 19:41:47

DH got me a long thin one, it was about £20 and honestly it's the best present I've ever had. I wanted to marry it.

So I'd definitely recommend getting one if you can afford it. Especially since you, like me, will be doing your third trimester in the summer and it will be cooler than a rolled up duvet. You can get something pretty useful for twenty quid and I hate to say it, but at 27 weeks your comfortableness levels are only going one way. It won't get any easier. Do anything that will maximise sleep now. You'll miss it when it's gone.

omohfaith Thu 15-May-14 01:06:32

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now