Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Were your instincts about the sex right?

(79 Posts)
LuckyOwl28 Sun 24-Mar-13 19:09:10

I'm currently 37+6 and throughout my pregnancy have had so many people demanding of me that I 'must know' or 'must have an instinct' about the sex of our baby, and felt I must be missing some kind of maternal instinct as had absolutely no idea!

However, just over the last week all I can seem to think about is girl - I'm dreaming of having a girl, looking at girl clothes and subconsciously even referring to my bump as 'her' or 'she'.

Do you think this means anything at all?

Did you have such a feeling with your bumps and were you proved right/wrong?

I genuinely don't mind either way so makes no difference, I just wonder if this is the 'feeling' that everyone talks about

RatPants Mon 01-Apr-13 22:25:37

Mine were right both times!

4 DCs, had a feeling they were boys each time - only right once. It was quite nice to be surprised though!

glorious Mon 01-Apr-13 23:03:25

nope, everyone including me thought DD was a boy. I was very surprised when I looked!

BraveLilBear Tue 02-Apr-13 11:43:59

I asked my mum this at the weekend - she said she never knew with any of her three dds, tho thought the last was a boy because the pg was different. Nope, same old, same old!

I've had a feeling from the start that I have a girl, which is weird, as I always thought of myself as being a mum of boys. OH is convinced it's a boy, not helped by the fact he claims to have 'seen' on the 20 week scan - I was rolled away from screen to get better angle so couldn't even play the guessing game.

We'll find out in 4 months who's right. The good news is that the only girls name we've agreed on so far is a unisex name grin

Convinced I was having twin boys, doubly wrong, two girls!

LuckyOwl28 Tue 02-Apr-13 12:50:42

Hopefully not long til I find out! 39+1 today!

I still can't get girl out of my head - will update when I know for sure!

When I rang my mum to tell her I was pregnant (first day of missed period I got a BFP), she asked 'what is it' and I said 'a boy!!!'.

We couldn't agree on any girls name, I didn't want to look at stuff for baby girls. Had a boy's name from about 18 weeks, and only bought boys clothes.

Didn't find out he was a boy until the day he was born at 39 weeks.

A friend was also certain she was having a boy, and she did smile

Hooya Tue 02-Apr-13 15:20:46

Nope, was certain it was a girl and found out today - boy! My 'gut feeling' must have just been wind grin

xigris Tue 02-Apr-13 15:39:20

I was 100% certain I was having a boy when I was pregnant with my first. We didn't find out at the 20 week scan and when the baby was born I had been right all along. Convinced of my womanly intuition, when I was pregnant the second time round, I was sure that it was a girl. We chose to confirm this at the 20/40 scan so that we could prepare DS now 2. I smugly confidently told the sonographer that I was certain it was a girl and that I'd been right first time. "Oh look" she said, "there's 'her' willy". blush. Clearly not as psychic as I thought!

megarobotdiscoparty Tue 02-Apr-13 18:07:35

Was adamant it was a boy from day 1. Mother-in-law was also so convinced it was a boy she told us not to bother telling us the sex at the 20 week scan - "I already know what he is!". Sure enough he was... although he has yet to be born and there's always room for sonographer error! What a shock we'd get if he turned out to be a she now...

Gingerbreadpixie Tue 02-Apr-13 19:23:05

Totally wrong! I'm 19 weeks. Myself, DH and several friends and family were convinced this little one would be a girl. We had a scan last week and he's definitely a little boy!

Dogsmom Tue 02-Apr-13 19:54:54

I always really wanted a girl and spent the first months of my pregnancy doing all the old wives tricks and they all said boy, I also spent hours thinking it was a boy and had many dreams in which it was a boy.

I gave birth to her last month :-)

Lovethesea Tue 02-Apr-13 20:37:37

DC1 dreamt boy throughout early pregnancy, just before labour started had a vivid baby girl dream. DD arrived.

No clue with DC2, same lack of pregnancy symptoms, same bump, same everything. DS turned up.

I think my torso is too short to do a variety of bump shapes, I just about fitted them in and they both got stuck tight.

hotcrosbum Tue 02-Apr-13 21:26:02

I knew ds was a boy from the start. Didn't even entertain the idea he was a she.

I am 7 weeks now and no instinct at all. Haven't got the foggiest.

Nope, got it wrong 4/4 times.

Stixswhichtwizzle Tue 02-Apr-13 21:27:40

I was completely wrong!

MariahHairy Tue 02-Apr-13 21:33:47

no!

EcoHippyMum Wed 03-Apr-13 01:51:45

I knew with all three of mine, can't explain it either and did have lots of dreams too. Got not the slightest but DH thinks its a boy (maybe wishful thinking).

LittleFeileFooFoo Wed 03-Apr-13 01:56:52

I thought I was having a girl, I was wrong!

MyShoofly Wed 03-Apr-13 03:59:06

Correct both times....beautiful boys smile

I knew what mine were from quite early on with my first two as had cvs but both times we went on holiday to Italy and everyone told us what sex they were and got it right!

This time I have no idea am only 7 weeks though. DH is convinced is a DD but I can only think about boys names!

NandH Wed 03-Apr-13 04:41:28

I somehow knew both times, the first I knew I was having a girl and then had dd and the second time my pregnancy was completely different to the first and decided I must be having a boy, out popped ds!! he's 8 weeks old now grin

i honestly had no idea either way. no strong feeling of boy or girl! i got ds grin

my bff said straight off she was having girls with her 2 dcs- sh was right both times.

my dm said she was right with me and wrong for both my dsis and dbro. so she got 1 out of 3 right (or was lying about getting me right grin )

scaredbutexcited Fri 05-Apr-13 11:17:01

I seemed to know that I'm having a girl but no idea why.

Had lots of dreams about the baby in the second trimester and she was always a girl.

However, my mum was totally convinced I would be a boy (I think that is what she would have preferred!!) Apparently she is happy know though wink

harleyd Fri 05-Apr-13 12:14:31

i was right with all 4 of mine, am hoping i have it right this time too...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now