Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Why have I been given an obstetrician appointment?

(12 Posts)
milkyjo Fri 15-Feb-13 09:38:55

I think it's shocking that the GP didn't inform you that you were being referred to an obstetrician and for what reason. It's additional worry that us preggers ladies don't need. Is a little communication too much to ask?! Sorry, ranty mood today!

PurplePoppySeed Fri 15-Feb-13 09:06:02

I've been referred as I have had a laparotomy and laparoscopy in the last 10 years. Agree I think it's any abdominal surgery.

doublecakeplease Thu 14-Feb-13 17:25:47

Mine was because of BMI. Worried myself silly because i wasn't given a reason either!!

FoofFighter Thu 14-Feb-13 17:24:42

my 12 week scan appt came through as an obstetrician appt rather than saying it was a scan, could be that?

Preposteroushypothesis Thu 14-Feb-13 17:23:06

It might not be because of higher risk, I had the same thing. Received a letter with an appointment for 'consultation with midwife followed by blood tests' (which I assumed was booking in) and also a scan date. Then received another letter with appointment with obstetrics. Turns out the obstetrics appointment was the booking in appointment with the routine blood tests and the other appointment was purely the blood tests for Down's Syndrome. I'm in London

Oodsigma Thu 14-Feb-13 11:13:40

Same as panda all women have one appt here then higher risk ones continue

BeadyEyes Thu 14-Feb-13 10:04:15

Wow, thanks for all the speedy replies! I had previous surgery for endo (4 years ago) and a previous miscarriage, I wonder if that is why. Apart from that, I am relatively ancient (although under 40), but no other issues. All very mysterious. I guess I'll ask the midwife next week.

Thanks again!

Themobstersknife Thu 14-Feb-13 09:56:03

Are you over 40? Overweight? Previous section / surgery on abdomen area? Underlying health condition? Assessed as high risk? Otherwise, it does seem unusual.

Incidentally, I would have been classed as all of the above, but had to fight very hard to see a consultant!

I would discuss at your booking appointment, and see what the midwife says. I would also ring and ask your GP as they must have referred you for a reason.

SoYo Thu 14-Feb-13 09:52:00

Family history of pre-eclampsia?
Family/personal history of DVT/PE
Personal history of anxiety/depression
On any medication
Previous abdominal surgery
BMI over 30
Family history of diabetes
Any medical conditions or on any medication
Age over 40
Infertility treatment

There's probably more indications too but that's the list that came to mind! Usually if it's something minor you'll be seen once in obstetric clinic then sent back to midwife led care for the rest of pregnancy.

PandaNot Thu 14-Feb-13 09:49:21

Where I live you have one consultant appointment usually at about 16 weeks or so and the rest are midwife appointments. This is all women. Obviously if you are having consultant led care then you have more.

stowsettler Thu 14-Feb-13 09:47:52

It does sound unusual, I would think your GP would be able to tell you why though - any referral would have come from them.

BeadyEyes Thu 14-Feb-13 09:38:22

Hi all,

It's my first pregnancy, and I am 9 weeks. I have a booking appointment next week and a scan in about 3 weeks. Have only seen the GP so far who just did some paperwork.

Anyway, I received a letter from the hospital with an obstetrician appointment. I'm confused - I thought we just had midwife care? I rang the hospital to ask, but they couldn't tell me why. Is this normal? I am really busy for the next 2 months and don't really want to go to appointments unless necessary!

Thank for your help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now