Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

2 week wait for a re-scan

(61 Posts)

Hi ladies

Sorry to bother you all again - I have been on here all weekend and your support has been amazing.

We have had a very emotional weekend where we were told we had lost our baby at a private dating scan however after visiting our local hospital and a scan yesterday at the EPU we were told that I am much earlier than I thought (5 weeks rather than 7). The EPU internally scanned me and saw a pregnancy sac, yolk and functioning blood supply - the lady said it was a normal looking 5 week pregnancy and I had the same chance of miscarriage as anyone else who is 5 weeks pregnant. I have to go back on 18th Feb for a re-scan where they should see growth and a heartbeat.

I have had some brown spotting since Sunday which I understand is common in pregnancy this early however I think we are so much more anxious than normal because of the roller coaster weekend - the brown spotting is mainly when I wipe - nothing has collected on my pad I am wearing.

I am trying very hard to be positive but am so scared and hate this feeling of being out of control. I have only managed to get through one day so far and the 18th Feb feels like a lifetime away.

My DH is being wonderful and trying to be positive even though I know he is worried - I don't want to chip away at his positivity by going on about how worried I am (not that I come in here to moan and whinge either) - I just wondered whether anyone has gone through anything similar and how you managed with the 2 weeks wait.

Thank you all so much for reading xxx

I think I am a bit dense when it comes to all this - what is my progesterone level?? X

ExpatAl Sun 10-Feb-13 16:28:57

Progesterone levels vary but it needs to be higher than usual to support a pregnancy. I believe it needs to be around 14 or higher. If the progesterone level drops the lining will begin to shed.

Thanks ExpatAl - I will phone the GP or EPU tomorrow - I feel so clueless and powerless at the moment. My first miscarriage happened quickly and I didn't realise I was pregnant and my pregnancy with my son was 'textbook' no bleeding or pain and just progressed as it should.

This is like mental torture!! Every twinge or pain has been running to the loo to check hmm the spotting has died down but I'm still getting some lower tummy pain (like mild period pain) - I am hoping that its implanting pain xx

ExpatAl Sun 10-Feb-13 16:40:44

I would try to keep an open mind if you can. By this stage I'm sure you just want to know one way or another!

I do - I feel like we are in compete limbo land - like life is on hold. I want this bean to be okay so much and just cant even begin to think about how we will get over this if after 2 weeks its bad news - the thought that the worse could still be to come hmm

Sorry - I am being a wimp today and need to get a grip. I have a beautiful DS who will be 4 in April and am so thankful for him (he is desperate for a sibling though).

Do you guys think its worth another call do the GP or EPU? Another daft question - would my GP know about my trip to the EPU last week - would it appear on the info / records the GP hold for me? X

abicharlotte Sun 10-Feb-13 19:12:30

Hi there

I just wanted to let you know that I went through something similar last month. I thought I was 7 weeks and went to the EPU after visiting A+E with some painful cramping on one side. I has a scan which showed a pregnancy sac, yolk and functioning blood supply but no baby and no heartbeat.

But they said it could be that my dates were wrong and that I may have only been 5 weeks, in which case it's normal not to see a baby or heartbeat. So we waited for two weeks which felt like they lasted forever, and then went back to see a tiny baby with a thumping heartbeat! My dates had indeed been wrong and at the second scan they told me i was 7 weeks, so I had only been 5 weeks originally.

So, from what I've been told, this is quite normal and fingers crossed your second scan goes well. Good luck.

Thank you abicharlotte - it's so nice to hear that people have come through this with a happy ending.

I am trying so so hard to remain positive - I wish this brown spotting would stop though - I know it's common but scares me every time I see it - I am turning into a constant knicker checker!!

I don't know whether to give the GP or EPU a call tomorrow - I hate feeling like a complete neurotic nuisance!!

Thanks again ladies for your replies - they are really helping me keep going xx

ExpatAl Sun 10-Feb-13 20:17:26

Do you have to call the EPU? Can't you just go in?

I think you have to phone and they say whether to go in or not - am I being completely over the top? Xx

ExpatAl Sun 10-Feb-13 21:28:23

No you need to get this over and done with. Call and say that you have severe pain and feel very sick and dizzy and get seen. You can't go on like this.

ExpatAl Mon 11-Feb-13 13:14:05

Mummy how are you today? Any luck with getting an appointment?

Thanks for checking in - I really really appreciate it. No appointment from EPU - I haven't had anymore brown spotting today so hoping that is a good thing - still having some lower tummy ache but its more of a dull ache that stabbing pain so hoping that's all explainable.

This time next week we will know one way or the other (appt is at 11am next Monday). In one way it will good to know but on the other hand we still have a little bit of hope at the moment. Time is moving so slowly - it feels like a lifetime ago that we had the awful private scan x

suzyrut Mon 11-Feb-13 16:13:01

Hi mummy just to say that I totally sympathise with your situation (I came off the pill and was pg before I'd had first period, I count myself v.lucky in that regard) so decided to have an early dating scan. Like I fool I thought back over my symptoms and convinced myself I was about 7 weeks. Went for an early scan and there was only a pregnancy and yolk sac (no foetal pole and definitely no heartbeat). Was advised to go back in two weeks when we would see if it was "a viable pregnancy" (it was no where near as bad as your experince but she didn't provide me with me with much info and I left in tears) and they were some of the longest days of my life. I was googling missed miscarriage constantly, every cramp was the onset of me loosing the baby etc. I had no bleeding thank goodness but I was constantly poking my boobs and if I didn't feel sick then I'd have a panic!

I can't offer any different advice from the great stuff other people have posted around keeping busy and staying away from google. What I can offer though is some hope, I'm now 24 weeks and things are going well and as I type she's kicking away like crazy. I hope the next couple of week pass quickly or at least bareably for you and in the end you get to see a lovely heartbeat. xx

Thanks suzyrut - it is so reassuring to hear people coming out the other side with a positive story - fingers crossed that's me next week!!

I am the exact same regarding the symptoms - I don't have any pregnancy symptoms - no sickness at all and I keep poking my boobs and they feel the same as usual (although they were very sensitive when I first found out). I am a bit hungrier than normal but then again I do love food so not sure if that's my body's way of justifying extra chocolate!!

I am trying to hold on to the fact that I have had no bright red blood or clots and the cramps are mild (similar to the very start of a period) - still has me running for the loo to check!!

Thanks again for sharing your experience - I know I sound like a broken record but you ladies are keeping me sane (ish) until next week xxxx

Have started bleeding this evening - not a good sign.

I will call the EPU tomorrow first thing but feeling very sad hmm

Kafri Mon 11-Feb-13 21:32:05

keeping fingers crossed for you
xx

Spoke to EPU and they are re-scanning me on Friday morning x

ExpatAl Tue 12-Feb-13 10:58:05

Good news. Not long to go. Take it easy and do something nice with hubby tomorrow.

ExpatAl Tue 12-Feb-13 10:58:25

Oops, on Thursday, not tomorrow.

Bleeding has picked up - feeling sad hmm

Kafri Tue 12-Feb-13 16:28:43

that's much better. how are you feeling today?

I agree with pp, do something nice with dh on Thursday.

x

DH is at work tomorrow and Thursday - don't know whether to go to work tomorrow or not.

I feel like the scan is to just confirm the worst and what we already know hmm

It seems so rubbish and unfair - i know that sounds selfish but I just feel really sad that its happened and a bit daft for thinking of all these plans with DS and new baby hmm

Xxx

ExpatAl Tue 12-Feb-13 17:10:49

I'm sorry. It's been a horrible long drawn out affair. This dream might look as if it won't continue but it doesn't mean that you won't have another very soon. Take care of yourself.

Thank you - I really hope that's true. Thank you for all your support xxx

wifey6 Wed 13-Feb-13 08:50:09

Wishing you luck for Friday OP.
thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now