Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Controversial!!! Have/do you drink alcohol in pregnancy?

(345 Posts)
DanniiH Mon 04-Feb-13 10:02:27

Hi mummies.

Just wanting to get some opinions from real people not a regulatory body.

Personally I don't see the harm in having a glass of wine when pregnant but guidelines say to have none. I'm sure we've all heard people say my mum drank lots and I turned out fine and this is usually true I'm sure. With my son I drank a small glass of wine most nights, he is 3 and scarily bright so I've obviously caused him no harm. I'm pregnant again and whilst I won't drink every night I will have one if I fancy it.

Anyone else agree with this?
Anyone know of anyone where moderate drinking has caused harm to a child?

BraveLilBear Mon 04-Feb-13 14:12:03

It's a tricky one... I had half a bottle of Bud at about 13 weeks and half a glass of white wine the other night because it smelled amazing (and tasted great).

Both times though I could feel it going to my head within a couple of sips, which I really didn't enjoy, and then washed it down with 500ml of soft drink to assuage guilt by watering it down.

I honestly don't miss drinking, I actually rather like the lack of headaches etc caused by inadvertant mild alcohol dehydration. But I have enjoyed a couple of mouthfuls here and there. Any more than that and the guilt would be too extreme.

CaseyShraeger Mon 04-Feb-13 14:17:44

I drank nothing in the first trimester, and a maximum of a glass a week (but most weeks nothing -- generally it would be one glass if we went out for a special occasion) after that.

There are much better alcohol-free beers around than there used to be (that came on a huge amount just between my first and second pregnancies) which helped with not missing drinking.

bogwoppitinatree Mon 04-Feb-13 20:34:35

I have had bits and pieces. On Saturday it was a friend's birthday and I had two halves of nice ale. Haven't done more than a pint in an evening and leaving a good long rest in between each occassion.

ElliesWellies Mon 04-Feb-13 21:05:01

I have the odd glass of wine. I have never heard of any evidence that shows that the odd drink does any harm. Women have been doing it for generations without a problem. Totally up to the individual though - anyone more comfortable without alcohol, I think... it's better to feel happy about your choices, whatever they are. Worry probably does you no good.

MorganLeFey Mon 04-Feb-13 21:26:04

I'm not drinking at all - currently 24/40.

It was a bit weird at Housewarming/Christmas/New Year's etc. but I figured it just wouldn't be that big a deal to avoid completely & then avoid any worry - enough other things to worry about & this is one I do have control over!!!

Rache1S Mon 04-Feb-13 21:42:15

For me it is the case of the great unknown. Controlled comprehensive research has not and will never be done on this simply because pregnant women will not willingly participate in clinical studies trying to find potential harm (or rule it out) so it largely remains an unknown entity.

For me personally, the unknown is enough to make me lay off it, but each to their own and it is for individuals to make their own decisions.

nickelbabe Mon 04-Feb-13 21:48:17

I think a little does no harm.

when I say a little I mean one or two units a week.

so half a can of lager twice a week or a small (125ml) glass of wine on a Saturday night.
I wouldn't have drunk more than one unit at a time (in one day)

I think I had a small drink every 3 or 4 days.

Springforward Mon 04-Feb-13 22:16:29

I choose not to, mainly because I drank in the very early weeks before I knew I was pregnant with both DS and this current pregnancy and feel guilty about it, so not drinking is OK with me and I'd cut down a lot while TTC anyhow.

However... a couple of weeks ago I had a small bleed and had to pop into the labour ward for a quick check over. The MW said in passing that it had been a long day (she wasn't being unprofessional - I happened to know her and she was chatting!) and that she was looking forward to a nice glass of wine at home that night. I said something like, "sounds lovely - only 20 weeks to go, 17 if I'm lucky!", and she said that if I did want a glass of wine, have one, just make it small and not very often. She reckoned that the guideline was set in the absence of a firm dose-response relationship, and so really it was all a bit unknown, but that the real worry was heavier and more frequent drinking.

Didn't change my mind TBH, but nice to know that I could have a small glass of wine if I really wanted one, or on a special occasion.

hatgirl Mon 04-Feb-13 22:28:01

is anyone else okay with the idea of an occasional glass of wine during pregnancy but have a DH/DP (or other random family members) who is absolutely not okay with you doing it? How do you deal with it?

I make zero judgements about people who choose to have an odd drink in pregnancy - at the end of the day it's their body and their baby and just as all pregnancies are different, so is what our bodies are capable of handling.

Personally not touched a drop since BFP, but this is because I've had multiple miscarriages in the past, and if anything should have gone wrong this time, I would feel much better knowing I'd done everything possible to keep baby safe. But that's me and my fears more than anything else.

orangetickle Tue 05-Feb-13 00:51:24

hatgirl we were recently out for DH's birthday with his parents, and the waiter gave all four of us wine glasses, and began to pour. My MIL put her hand over my glass and told the waiter I wasn't drinking (we hadn't discussed it).

I nearly ordered a triple vodka and a straw... Made me so so angry.

Admittedly I didn't drink during my first pregnancy, but still - it felt like a real violation - like her taking control over my body. Worse than if she'd ordered my food for me, since there was an unspoken moral judgement attached to it: it would have been a huge statement for me to turn around to the waiter and say that yes, actually, I'd quite like a glass of wine.

So no real advice, just an acknowledgement that it can be hard.

boxoftricks Tue 05-Feb-13 00:57:08

Guinness is NOT full of iron. Yes it contains a small amount of iron, but so does most beer. It is not jam packed.

I have had a couple of drinks after 20 weeks. I was very sick upto 18 weeks so couldn't if I'd wanted to.
I won't drink spirits, but have had the odd glass or sip of wine, and a couple of glasses of bubbly on my bday. I make sure to drink plenty of water too. I won't just have a glass of wine because DH is, but if we are having a special meal in or out I might. I might have a cold beer/shandy if we get a nice spring and we start getting out into the garden.

The weekend before I got my (v. unexpected) BFP I'd been absolutely hammered. I felt so disgustingly guilty that I didn't touch a drop until DD was about 6 months old.
I really wouldn't. It's, what, 9 months? It's not hard.

I've not touched any, and won't. Guidelines or no guidelines logic tells me that ingesting something that is a toxin is not a good idea when pregnant. It isn't for very long so is no great hardship.

I actually miss things like migralieve more tbh. Not having a drink is no biggie, but not being able to take something to stall a migraine is tough!

ledkr Tue 05-Feb-13 07:28:50

I went on a neuroscience course with work recently. Having had a few wines during all five of my pg I'd definitely not do it again since seeing the research.

JollyRedGiant Tue 05-Feb-13 07:34:42

Badgers, I did the same the week before my bfp. I don't often get hammered but I was really really drunk that night.

Since, I had a couple of units on Christmas day but that is all smile and that was more because we hadn't yet told my parents and didn't want to raise suspicions.

I'll probably have a couple of shandies nearer the end of pregnancy but will avoid at the momoment

shineypeacock Tue 05-Feb-13 07:46:35

Im 15 weeks today, and had my first drink this weekend, a pint of lager shandy on Saturday and a glass of champagne on Sunday.

I saw my mw in NYE at 10 weeks and she said a glass of champagne that night would be fine, i didnt want to drink until after 12 weeks however.

Very strange feeling drinking the shandy, i got a beer glow almost instantly!! But it was lovely!!

Im of the opinion its each to there own and if you want to have 1-2 units then do it!

ScubaSarah Tue 05-Feb-13 08:06:34

I didn't drink at all for first 8 weeks then have had a glass of wine or half pint 2/3 times a week at most. I drank 3/4 units or more pretty much every night before BFP. midwife basically said the above was absolutely fine and baby only gets what my liver doesn't process so 1 unit should be fine. Like someone else said most of the FAS studies are on hardcore drinkers not occasional wine slurpers. My Mum was sh1tfaced on homebrew and brandy when she went into labour with me - swears by it for pain relief winkshock
I worry far more about Aspartame and other nasties tbh - not had a diet drink since TTC!

GirlOutNumbered Tue 05-Feb-13 08:15:13

I never fancied it and havent gone back to 'drinking' since DS1 was born nearly three years ago. It just makes me feel hot and uncomfortable. I'm not too sad though, as I would have classed myself as a binge drinker, so I feel much more healthy these days!

378 Tue 05-Feb-13 14:10:22

Never drank in the 'two week wait' and haven't drunk at all in any of my pregnancies - just not worth any potential risk, in my own opinion.

mumnosbest Tue 05-Feb-13 14:15:46

With dc3 i used to have 2 half glasses of wine topped up with lemonade (tasted toi strong on its own. Did this most weekends. I also have the occasional glass now whilst bf. Dd is 1 and absolutely fine.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 05-Feb-13 14:20:31

Haven't read the whole thread so sorry if I'm repeating. Te current device is not to drink any alcohol for the first 3 months and after that, if you choose to drink, no more than 1 or 2 units once or twice a week. Have a look here.

And yes, I have drunk alcohol bith times but not exceeded the current guidelines.

HenD19 Tue 05-Feb-13 14:20:40

I have a small glass of wine most nights whilst cooking and eating dinner. Do sometimes feel a bit guilty but did the same with my other 2dc and they're fine so don't stress about it too much.....

HenD19 Tue 05-Feb-13 14:21:18

Didn't drink anything in first trimester though as the thought made me feel sick

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now