Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Been advised to prepare for poss premature birth... Any tips?

(169 Posts)
10storeylovesong Wed 16-Jan-13 10:28:52

Hi, I'm currently 24 weeks and due to various issues have been advised that I'm at high risk of going into premature labour. I've been put on bed rest and going for steroid injections tomorrow, but just wondering if there's any advice anyone can give me?

I've bought a few bits for the baby - I have a Moses basket and a starter set with bottles and a steriliser. Not even started with the nursery or anything yet. I'm going to get a hospital bag together but wondering what other essentials I should get just in case?

Thanks

Congratulations and welcome to little Sebastian smile

Tiredtrout Sat 23-Feb-13 18:44:00

How's you and Sebastian today?

Heavywheezing Wed 13-Feb-13 20:33:42

How wonderful. I wish you and your little one all the best.

My sil had her two boys at 34 weeks weighing 4lbs, they are wonderful little boys.

CelticPromise Wed 13-Feb-13 20:24:22

Brilliant news. How are you feeling? Don't forget your own recovery!

Hope you are getting lots of cuddles.

Wereonourway Wed 13-Feb-13 09:45:20

So pleased to hear he's doing well.
My ds was on cpap for five days and they were great in weaning him off it. Remember the amount of time he was off it creeping up and it was brilliant.
Are you able to do all of his cares, it was great for us to be able to do that.
Hope you are keeping well too op, look after yourself and hope little Sebastian keeps battling his cpap!

10storeylovesong Wed 13-Feb-13 08:46:15

He's doing so well. He was off his ventilator by Monday and onto Cpap but he's determined to be off that soon as well! He keeps grabbing at the mask and trying to pull it off, so yesterday they took him off it for an hour and let me take him out of the incubator and cuddle him. It was amazing! I went in to see him in the early hours and he was off it again then as he'd been making so much fuss, so they let him have 2 hours of freedom and his breathing was fantastic with no alarms or blips.

He's having more milk now as well - 2ml every 2 hours direct into his stomach and is coping with it really well so all good signs.

I'm so proud of him!

sharni20 Tue 12-Feb-13 14:23:04

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

CelticPromise Tue 12-Feb-13 13:09:37

Ah brilliant that he's able to try it already. How's his breathing?

Great news that the hospital are supportive with expressing too! It's hard going, especially in the early hours, but so worth it. Hope you are recovering ok too.

10storeylovesong Tue 12-Feb-13 07:54:30

It is a great feeling and the hospital have been fantastic helping me out with it. I'm still on the ward for the time being and using the hospital pumps, and they will loan me a pump for when I go home so I can carry on there. He had his first taste of it last night - just a drop on a cotton bud which I rubbed on the inside of his lips and he loved it and was trying to get some more! He's going to be having this small amount every 2 hours while they see if his stomach can cope with it.

moomin that's great news - she must be so made up. How's your little one?

I remember that with my 32 weeker, it was the tiniest amount but I was so pleased with myself! Do the hospital have electric pumps? I found I was soon able to produce enough for feeds when I started using a pump.

I met a women last week while having ds4 who's baby was born at 25 weeks, they put you up in the hospital hotel where I am if you want. She's just hitting what should have been her due date and the baby is coming home this week!

CelticPromise Mon 11-Feb-13 08:46:04

It's a great feeling isn't it? Knowing only you can do something so vital for your little boy. smile I remember my first 0.5ml syringe, I was so pleased! Are you still on the ward or have you been discharged?

I wish you a peaceful day today.

BaconandEgg Mon 11-Feb-13 08:16:05

My 32 weeker is now an active 18 month old who loves doing his 3 year old brother's puzzles. But the first few weeks were emotionally tough so do take care of yourself and take all the help that is on offer. I was about to take my prem baby books to the charity shop, but would be happy to send them your way if that would help. Let me know if you'd like them.

10storeylovesong Mon 11-Feb-13 08:02:37

sokmonsta the hospital do a deal where if you buy 5 days worth of tickets they validate them and its then £3 a week after that, so just saving up those tickets.

celtic I finally chased someone down yesterday afternoon and got started on it. Not managed to get a lot but I was unbelievably proud of the little I managed - and the nurse said she couldn't help but smile as I marched into the ward clutching my syringe. Makes me feel so much better knowing I can stockpile those little drops for as soon as he's ready for them, instead of just watching by the sidelines while other people take care of him.

Christelle2207 Sun 10-Feb-13 15:46:23

That brilliant news! Best of luck to you both xxxx

Congratulations to you and your family x

pixiestix Sun 10-Feb-13 13:21:13

Congratulations! Welcome to the world little Sebastian. smile

Sokmonsta Sun 10-Feb-13 09:51:50

Have you checked whether your hospital does week long parking tickets? Ours does, they're not well advertised! But £15 for a while week saves a fortune, and of course if you are in/out over the course of a week, it's still valid.

CelticPromise Sun 10-Feb-13 09:23:11

Bless you sounds like you've had a tough time. Yes one day at a time is the only way to go.

I'm a BF supporter at our local unit. I know it is very tough but if you want to express it's important to get going as soon as possible after birth, so don't let them leave it too long to show you. If you want to get started there is a great demo of hand expressing on the Small Winners DVD, and also good info in the Bliss booklet Breastfeeding your Premature Baby.

Don't want to put you under pressure, I just spend a lot of time helping NICU mums. I know support can be hard to come by at the weekend and wanted to make sure you get the right info. smile

AdriftAndOutOfStardust Sun 10-Feb-13 08:28:36

Congratulations and wishing you all the best.

FairyJen Sun 10-Feb-13 08:26:52

Make sure you get lots of pics as well Ot helpe me get through the night havin pics to look at and also nicu will let you call down at any time to get updates if your a worrier like me! wink

lotsofcheese Sun 10-Feb-13 08:25:18

Just wanted to add my congratulations!! What a lovely name. And a good weight too.

As others have pointed out, NICU is a real roller coaster. Please keep posting for support.

Sending your wee man love & strength xx

10storeylovesong Sun 10-Feb-13 08:19:53

Thanks everyone.

celtic I'm hoping to express but due to the surgery and the late hour yesterday midwives said they'll speak to me about it today. We keep getting told it's a day at a time and I know it's going to be so hard, but at the minute I'm just relieved he's doing well today.

Kt8791 Sun 10-Feb-13 08:16:46

Many congratulations:-)

Wereonourway Sun 10-Feb-13 08:14:48

Congratulations ten storey( love your username).
Little Sebastian will get stronger every day I'm sure.
Take care of yourself and rest as much as possible x

CelticPromise Sun 10-Feb-13 08:09:44

Congratulations 10Storey on the birth of your little boy. So glad he's doing well.

NICU is a tough journey so make sure you look after yourself. I hope you're getting plenty of support. Are you expressing? Hope you get to hold him soon, skin to skin is good for both of you. I remember the first time I held my 27 weeker like it was yesterday. Just wanted to add as well it's perfectly possible to hold him while he's ventilated, so don't be afraid to ask.

Best wishes to you and your son.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now