Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Pregnant type 1 diabetics, step over here...

(1000 Posts)

I seem to have filled up the old thread and thought I better start a new one! grin Still got ages to go, don't leave me now...

Am currently sat waiting for my 16 week antenatal appt, been here an hour so far and just had BP done and that's it.

Mylittlepuds Fri 15-Feb-13 19:15:12

I wonder what the official advice is re. T1s and breastfeeding? I know it's likely to be crap/non existent but would be interesting to know. There should be info really.

Bona my experience was that I basically didn't lose much weight while BFing - so for the first year post-natal. Then I gave up BFing and dropped loads fairly quickly, as I wasn't constantly scoffing cakes/biscuits/sweets with every feed.

Annoying, as it was pretty much 2 years before I was back to "normal", then we started TTC both times!

Hopingforno2 Fri 15-Feb-13 22:02:30

Non diabetes realted but a friends son has chicken pox, should i be avoiding contact? Pretty sure ive had it as a child as has ds but more baby im thinking of?

Mylittlepuds Sat 16-Feb-13 09:05:27

I'm in same situation Hoping but took the risk. Can you check with your mum? I definitely had it. The NHS advice is if you've had it it's okay. Was last time I checked anyway in my memory as someone at work had shingles.

Right ladies - weird but true. I've started getting really hungry in the wee hours (happened with DS at end). Anyway it could be coincidence but every time I've succumbed it's at about 2am. I inject normal daytime dose (not morning dose) and I've missed out on dawn phenomenon!! Just a lovely flat line - not even a rise in BS!! Will prob test out theory again tonight.

BonaDea Sat 16-Feb-13 09:56:09

Puds - very interesting. I know some people swear that in the morning the sooner they have breakfast the better the DP. So maybe the same applies?

On the BF point the NICE guidelines definitely say that BF is recommended for diabetic women. But suspect that might be more from the baby point of view rather than the mother's!

Guess I'll just have to cope by eating/ adjusting long acting if I can. Does worry me when DH goes back to work and mum has gone home!

mylittlepuds Tue 19-Feb-13 08:16:42

So...baby's abdominal circumference now off the scale at 30 weeks. Shoulder dystocia has been discussed.

mylittlepuds Tue 19-Feb-13 08:18:13

Oh and despite a HBA1C of 5.7 it's 'my' fault (not diabetes - a blameless entity). It's the post meal spikes apparently. Can you tell me a T1 who doesn't have them?

Hopingforno2 Tue 19-Feb-13 08:44:51

puds my lo was 5.2lbs last week!! And they didnt blame me my hba1c was 5.0 said not much more i can do! In fact im thinking it may be genetic for me as i was 7lbs 14oz(ds was 7lbs 10.5oz) and my younger sister was 9lbs 14oz my mum isnt diabetic sooo might just be what was always going to be for me. How big were u and brothers/sisters when u were born? Cant say a 10lb baby doesnt freak me out right enough lol surely if they think lo sholder will get stuck they have talked about an elcs?

mylittlepuds Tue 19-Feb-13 09:09:52

DSs stomach was exactly the same. He was fine! But it just freaks you out when they start getting concerned and asking you to try harder...I'm sorry but without serious hypos I can't. I suppose it's not nice going into labour knowing your baby is at more risk than 'normal' babies.

Hopingforno2 Tue 19-Feb-13 09:39:41

I know we have a higher risk but i try not to dwell on it as theres risk for everyone and every baby at least we r monitored closley and hopefully then problems will be deteced before serious cant image going from 20 to 40 weeks not knowing how big baby is etc

Oh puds, they have no clue, do they? I went through the whole way with dd being basically hypo the whole time. Rarely had spikes as would normally be 3mmol before a meal. She was 9 lbs 8 oz at birth and surprised all the medics - despite me having told them that both me and my sister were well over 8lbs and mum isn't diabetic at all.

My cousin just had her 2nd baby, he was 11lbs! She's not diabetic either, sometimes we just grow them big grin

(I don't recommend the "hypo for 9 months" approach by the way - especially not with other kids to look after!)

BonaDea Tue 19-Feb-13 10:54:09

Hoping - don't let the b@stards get to you. It is so thoughtless and pointless for them to tell you stuff THAT YOU ALREADY KNOW AND CAN DO NOTHING ABOUT. Sorry for getting shouty but it really really angers me. These people either don't know or don't care how much we go through and how bloody hard we try every bloody minute of every bloody day. Not being able to eat or drink anything before weighing up the pros and cons, doing a calculation and giving ourselves an injection. GRRRRR.

As for post meal spikes, the only way I have ever managed to deal with them without checking into the hypo hotel is by either eating low carb (not really an option when pregnant and starving) or by injecting the insuling 30 minutes before I eat. The latter doesn't completely eliminate them, but it helps as the Novo is properly up and running by the time I start eating. But of course then you have to remember to eat!!

I have my growth scan this morning and I'm partly sick with worry about the size of LO and partly excited the way I am to see my baby every time. URGH. Wish me luck!

BonaDea Tue 19-Feb-13 10:55:05

*insulin

mylittlepuds Tue 19-Feb-13 12:42:32

Bona it's me they had a go at angry

I absolutely to the letter agree with everything you've said. They just don't get it. The low carb pregnant and hungry thing is just awful too - I'm already on just 15g for breakfast and waking up in the night hungry to the point of it hurting. What 'normal' pregnant woman has to restrict themselves that much and then get told to 'try harder'. I'm sorry but I think it's more damaging for the baby not to eat. It feels unnatural.

I'm trying the inject earlier thing but with a toddler it's hard. I don't want to make excuses but I find life really stressful and busy and it's just another thing to remember.

I think I'm going to have to box this up and put it to one side confident I'm already doing all I can manage. It's hard when professionals can't see that though. They're asking the impossible in my book - injecting insulin is just not the same as having a functioning pancreas nor will it ever be.

Thanks Bona - your post meant a lot as it validated everything I believe.

Hopingforno2 Tue 19-Feb-13 13:11:53

We all do our best! bona hope the growth scan goes well

BonaDea Tue 19-Feb-13 14:27:49

Ooops - sorry, puds mis-read the thread because looking on phone! Definitely watch out with having your toddler around - you're right it is easy to get distracted then forget to eat!

Growth scan was ok. Still hovering around 97th percentile so although big it seems to be staying on the same trajectory if you know what I mean. So, we'll just have to wait and see what the 36 week scan holds! Current weight estimated at 5lbs 15oz - eeek! Starting to think I might not need those "up to 7lbs 8oz" babygros and vests... At least baby is still head down and really quite low down, too. So at least co-operating from that perspective smile

Consultant has asked that I now start going in weekly to keep an eye out, so I guess I will have a good idea of what is happening. I did have a bit of a fear of going in for 36 week appt and just being whipped in that day! Just wish she'd told me before today as next week is my last week at work and my boss is over from the US, so some advanced warning would have been good... confused

BonaDea Tue 19-Feb-13 14:59:40

p.s. amusingly had a long chat with a medical student who was in with the consultant (the consultant was pulled out for about 15 minutes). Turned out his partner is T1 and they are thinking of starting a family in a few years - he was asking me all about what it is like and how hard it has been. I gave him a no holds barred overview of the situation and how hard the medical aspects of it have been. Maybe if just one person takes that into his future career someone will get better treatment because of it down the line!!!

mylittlepuds Tue 19-Feb-13 15:43:20

Excellent news Bona smile it's all getting very close! And exciting! Do you know what you're having and names?

I'm going to start having sweeps from 36 weeks - to try and get things started off 'naturally'.

Also I reckon that young man will make a cracking consultant given his experience - and what he will experience!

I didn't start getting post meal spikes until I was about seven months and injecting an hour before really helped. Ds was still big though smile

Sorry I've forgotten what else I read blush (sleep deprivation)

Hopingforno2 Tue 19-Feb-13 17:45:20

puds will they do sweeps from 36 weeks?? I didnt get any with ds till the fri before i was going in on the tues

I was due to have sweeps from 36 weeks and had one at 36 weeks with dd

dieciocho Tue 19-Feb-13 19:19:34

Good news re: scan bona, but remember that weight predictions aren't an exact science - don't put the "normal" size babygros in the loft yet wink.

Another "I agree" vote for the rant - drs just can't get it, no matter how many books they read and I LOVE books.

Had V's breech baby hip scan today - turns out there are problems with her left one - the socket hasn't developed enough for a 6-week old, but as her corrected age is just 2 weeks drs hope it'll sort itself out soon and she'll be scanned again soon.

mylittlepuds Tue 19-Feb-13 20:12:13

Spotty you didn't get spikes?! My whole life as a diabetic is one big post meal spike! After every meal going up to 12 is my average before (hopefully) coming back into range 2 hours after (90 mins a now a pipe dream for me). Pregnant or not pregnant I get them...and not so rare is it that i go up to around 15! That's me knowing what's 'going on' though through my CGM. Is that weird?! Am I totally getting this diabetes thing wrong? Also Spotty did the sweeps 'do' anything do you reckon? I'm really hoping they put me into labour!! Right you can go to bed now wink

Oh Diec keep us updated on Vs hip. Hope it corrects itself.

Well I was contracting the next day but they went full throttle with the induction as I was so ill so hard to tell smile

Hope V's hips sort themselves out diec

This thread is not accepting new messages.