Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Pregnant type 1 diabetics, step over here...

(1000 Posts)

I seem to have filled up the old thread and thought I better start a new one! grin Still got ages to go, don't leave me now...

Am currently sat waiting for my 16 week antenatal appt, been here an hour so far and just had BP done and that's it.

Mylittlepuds Fri 08-Feb-13 16:26:56

I've merely accepted the fact my levels aren't going to be perfect first thing. I can see from the CGM that it only starts to drift up at about 5am, very slowly. So by the time I wake up it's up to about 7.5 and then 8.5ish by breakfast. As it's only been there for half an hour I'm just adding another half nit to breakfast to deal with it. Any more long acting I'd by hypoing through the night (already dipping there).

The positive is (and I'm sure this is the case for you ladies too, with you testing in the early hours) that the majority of the night things have been pretty perfect! I think having breakfast ASAP is the best was to deal with it otherwise mine would just keep drifting up and up - but with no food in my system to feel good about!

Mylittlepuds Fri 08-Feb-13 16:27:37

Unit not nit! Ha!

BonaDea Fri 08-Feb-13 16:30:31

Half a nit for breakfast - bleugh wink

Well, turned out I was 4.4 before lunch, and 4.6 two hours after so I can't complain.

I haven't had my CGM on for weeks and weeks. I should probably do it, but I can barely see the underneath of my bump and it seems a pain - literally!

Mylittlepuds Fri 08-Feb-13 18:45:05

Ha!

Ahh fantastic levels. Did you drop or were you okay?

BonaDea Sat 09-Feb-13 07:09:40

Dropped a teeny bit so had a mild hypo about an hour after. Caught it at 3.8 so not bad at all!grin

BonaDea Sat 09-Feb-13 08:51:01

Back to usual this morning. After dinner 5.6, 3am 11.2, correction dose and sill woke at 9. PAH! Coming down now. Off to pregnancy yoga soon, tho just want to sleep really!

BonaDea Sun 10-Feb-13 16:48:37

Ladies - did you all have a birth plan ready, and if so could I please have some tips?

I'm conscious that with induction and the fact the process will be medicalised perhaps reduces the options and that I can't have my heart set on too much. But I think a plan must still be worth it! Like, I want them to try at least two pessaries before inducing labour, I'd like them to consider taking me off the drip when labour is established to see if it carries on etc etc.

Any tips?

Ummm let me just throw some thoughts at you...

Continual monitoring?
Sliding scale
Encouraged to stay mobile
Pain relief
Vitamin k injection
Delayed cord clamping
Skin to skin (what if you have emcs do you want dh to do skin to skin)
Bf or ff
Examinations, do you want them?

I didn't have one with either dc as didn't have time. Got a rough one with ds but I'm sorry to say that it wasn't even looked at (it did go well though just ds was distressed so was stuck on my back again hmm)

I would say write it all down but the most important person to know what you want is your birthing partner. Mw might be too busy so will just ask instead of reading and you probably won't be thinking straight smile

Oh also there's two types of pessaries the one that stays in for 24 hours and then the gel which they give six hours. My consultant uses the 24 hour one (two 'doses') and then will go into the gel. The gel is more likely to cause fetal distress

BonaDea Mon 11-Feb-13 11:59:31

Crikey, ladies. Spent yesterday reading the detailed NICE guidelines on diabetic pregnancies, specifically as they deal with the actual birth. Very detailed, but interesting reading and we will be taking a copy to hospital as I think there is some useful stuff - like don't take away a diabetic mother's baby if it has low BG unless it shows other clinical signs of distress.

BonaDea Mon 11-Feb-13 12:08:07

P.s. had fruit n fibre cereal this morning at 10am as was starving. 8.2 to start with (not great, but it's the morning), 30u novo. 1.5 hours later - 17.8!!!!!!!!! shock

Think this might be the highest reading all pregnancy. FFS.

30u?! shock

BonaDea Mon 11-Feb-13 14:02:19

Yep, Spotty. My ratio is 4:1 at breakfast, so for a medium / big-bowl with milk that's where I'm at. This is why most days I don't eat breakfast at all or have something with much fewer carbs like a greek yogurt or a boiled egg.

I'm telling you, it's mental. I have become HUGELY insulin resistent (perhaps if I didn't have T1, I would have got GD anyway?) and I'm going through one cartridge penfill of Novo in about 2-3 days at the moment - am easily taking 120 units a day by the time I factor in my nighttime correction doses!

I find it really surprising because mine didn't change that much. My levemir doubled and breakfast went to 3:1 but the rest if the day 2:1. I wonder if there's some connection between that and everything going wrong about 35 weeks?! Ill be interested to find out the weight of your baby and bm's etc when born. It's just everyone else seems to be having similar to you and will likely get to 38 weeks.... Sorry that's waffley I'm sleep deprived wink

BonaDea Mon 11-Feb-13 15:54:08

It will definitely be interesting to see what happens! Definitely hope to get to 37 or 38 weeks but at this stage, who knows? Am nearly 33 weeks now, so the thought of bubs being here in just a couple of weeks is terrifying! Also (and I know this is not the most important consideration) it would be awful to finish work and then have NO time left just for me!

When are you finishing? I had about two weeks each time so managed to get some batch cooking done, good job too especially this time round as it meant I knew dd wasn't living on freezer food (about all dp can cook!) grin

Mylittlepuds Mon 11-Feb-13 16:14:01

I'm 5:1 on a morning now!

I've got a bad virus and so have been trying to keep under 10 but it's very hard. Can I give myself a break? I feel so guilty but I'm poorly...

Mylittlepuds Mon 11-Feb-13 16:17:33

Does anyone else have a kind of tipping point of insulin that they're scared to take more than in a 4 hour block? Mine's 13 for some reason...I dare never take more than that it in one sitting. Is that weird?

Yes it is a bit weird puds grin

Definitely weird grin

I don't have a tipping point, but I do rely a lot on my insulin on board calculator on my pump - I tend to trust what it says as far as corrections etc go, unless I've eaten an entire takeaway pizza all to myself or something just like I did on Saturday night nom nom.

Mylittlepuds Mon 11-Feb-13 16:30:46

Know. I'm weird. It's my anxiety. It's a thing where I think in normal life this kind of dose would have finished me off. I need to be braver.

Mylittlepuds Mon 11-Feb-13 16:31:22

* I know - I wasn't trying to be hip by just saying 'know'...

Hopingforno2 Mon 11-Feb-13 17:01:35

Puds im taking 20u at lunch now dinners higher lol

So i had a growth scan today im 30+4 and baby is 5lbs 2oz on the 95th percentile sad but my hba1c is 5 what can i do?!

dieciocho Mon 11-Feb-13 17:12:18

Hello everyone,

I've finally got a few minutes to myself as we're staying at my parents' because I simply cannot cope with the f-ing diabetes right now.
My sugars regualrly go from 1 - 20 in the space of 4 hours. I don't feel like I can care for V properly with such stupid readings.I feel like a liability.

dieciocho Mon 11-Feb-13 17:14:43

puds, yep, the 13 thing is weird grin

bona, good luck with your plan, I hope hope hope that you get as much as possible of the experience that you want.

This thread is not accepting new messages.