General advice/tips please for 3.5yr old

(2 Posts)
jas781972 Tue 10-Sep-13 21:24:53

My ds same age and same stage. Says he likes the feel of wee and poo in his pants and couldn't care less than he is in nappies when none of his friends are. No matter how often I ask if he needs the toilet or put him on it he waits to do it in his pants. Not good if he's in a carpeted room or the sofa! He knows when he needs a poo because he always goes and stands behind the sofa! Driving me mad. Have tried everything! Am considering putting him in pants with his waterproof trousers and wellies over the top to contain the worst of it and just saying there are no more nappiessmile. It's so annoying, frustrating and discouraging ESP when rewards and bribery are ineffective! I think we just have to grin and bear it and they will get there eventually. Also annoying that people are so judgmental and imply the cause is poor parenting

ladypop Wed 12-Jun-13 13:19:14

Our 3.5yr old DS is yet to be toilet trained. We tried a few times throughout his 2nd year but to no avail and I had a baby 2 months ago so decided to wait until now rather than attempt so close to birth.
Well, the time is now and I don't really know where to start! maybe i try and blitz it ie, nappy off, stay at home and really go for it over the course of a few days. however, he goes to nursery 2 days a week as well as grandparents another day. How do your manage this kind of approach when you actually need them to be elsewhere and it isn't possible to leave them half naked (ie nursery)? ....just not sure what tactic to take!
He is just not bothered, is happy to have his nappy changed and doesn't seem bothered that most of his friends are all wearing 'big boy pants' etc. but time is ticking and I do want to crack it this time whilst I am on maternity leave before I return to work on sept......general advice needed please!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now