So, who else is starting on Saturday?

(220 Posts)
ItsAllTLAsToMe Thu 09-May-13 20:48:18

We're going to start potty training DS (2.8) on Saturday. Is anyone else starting then too?

ItsAllTLAsToMe Sun 12-May-13 12:47:16

I meant to add, we've resorted to bribery too (a gingerbread man and £1).

As predicted, we've not had a good day today, she's forgotten again! This tends to happen if she wears a nappy in the day for any length of time, and we went to a party between 12 and 2, so I didn't want to put pants on her for that! Since we got back home at just after 2, she has had three humongous wees on the floor and nothing in the potty/toilet sad Think I am going to persevere for a week, just in case we need to get through a few disastrous days before she 'gets it'.

Hope it improves for everyone, sounds like everyone is having a stressful second day!
Are everyone else's DCs in nursery etc? If so, will you get support from there? I am a SAHM, dd won't be going to preschool for another year, so I won't be getting any other support. DS is at preschool, and was when we were training, but they didn't do much, just followed our lead really.

Make that 4 humongous wees on the floor hmm

TheScreamingfrog Sun 12-May-13 16:49:21

Oh dear all....
We have had more success this afternoon with a wee in the big toilet. Things have been helped by a friend coming round with her DD who is trained and my DD following her to the toilet to see.
We have an amazing CM who will support the training also.
How's the bribery working out Its? Sounds expensive wink

Whispers, I think you are right to give it a proper go - my friend has been telling me her first day was awful too and her DD is now really great.

notnowbernard Sun 12-May-13 17:16:19

I recommend Haribo bribery wink

He's done a poo on the potty! Was farting away apparently so DP told him to sit on the potty and he did it, no persuasion required...

Might need to formally Do Potty Training now (eek)

Thanks frog smile

I thought you would all laugh me off the thread due to her age, I know that when I was PT DS, I was always a bit 'FFS hmm' to hear of people trying to PT under twos, but she is far more ready than DS was when we started with him at age 2.6!

I'm not sure bribery would work with DD, think she is too young to make the connection really. More's the pity!

Well done for today's successes grin

TheScreamingfrog Sun 12-May-13 18:17:44

Nice one Bernard! Will go in search of haribo later!

And as for being laughed off Whispers - never! You know your own child and I am slightly jealous that you be nappy free a lot sooner than we were!

I have found today much tougher than yesterday....
One more wee on the dining chair. The thing is, I feel really sorry for DD as she gets so upset and once she had done it went heading for the toilet so the connection is definitely there.

I can't seem to find a balance between asking her too often or not often enough.

Where are you up to Its?

What are you all finding?

ItsAllTLAsToMe Sun 12-May-13 18:56:44

Whispers, I read that girls are generally ready earlier than boys though. How's it going now?

bernard, a poo! That's it, you win the thread. DH dropped one of DS's poos from his pants onto the floor earlier today, then apparently looked at it, thinking 'What is that?' grin

Frog, yes, I think nappy sometimes, pants sometimes is probably confusing for them. DS asked for a nappy at naptime, which DH gave him, then he refused to swap it for pants after naptime, until he whipped it off himself later for a wee. So, a somewhat mixed day for us so far! I'm slightly happier after the nappy whipping off.

DS will be at the CM this week - she's great, and he'll hopefully be able to see some older children on potties / loos etc. So, we're going to stick at it this week, then see where we are I think.

Random potty training questions -

What potties are you using? We have a Pourty Potty, but sometimes some wee gets out. I've ordered a BabyBjorn Smart Potty.

Is anyone using training pants? We're not so far.

How do you clean a potty? We're rinsing, then Dettol anti-bacterial wiping. Is that enough? I'll give it a good clean later actually, as it's off to the CM tomorrow.

Good luck everyone.

Since my last message, before bedtime, she had another accident (wish we didn't have carpet, sob sad) and one wee on the potty. Will see what tomorrow brings! Got to pop out for an hour,so might be brave and go nappy free, eek confused

Answers to pt questions smile

We've got a basic one from Tesco, we have also got a porta potty, but used it mainly as a toilet seat for DS until we got a soft seat one. I don't think it would work for DD though as it's a bit wobbly on the toilet seat, so don't think it would do anything to improve her fear of heights! Will take it when we go on holiday in a month though smile

We're not using training pants, but DD is actually in pull ups rather than nappies anyway, so I think they are virtually the same thing confused we started using them as when she started to get interested in sitting on the toilet all the time, it was a pain to be putting a nappy on and off all the time as she would not lie still!

As far as cleaning goes, she has only weed in the potty so far, so I just rinse. I would probably use wipes if there were poos as well though smile

Let's all hope for a better day tomorrow! grinthanks

TheScreamingfrog Sun 12-May-13 21:38:46

Lol at dropped poo!
We are using a boots potty and a mothercare mini mouse one which is more of a seat affair and seems to be the preferred option although we are also using the toilet with a trainer seat.

As for cleaning, a quick rinse and a wipe for us.

I am hoping for more success tomorrow as it is CM on Tuesday followed by a night with nanny who is slightly horrified at the whole affair.... hmm

Glad your day got better.
Fingers crossed for tomorrow

ItsAllTLAsToMe Sun 12-May-13 22:01:49

Whispers, I think that our potties are different, ours is one of these, where you pour the contents out of the V at the back. It's probably quite good, but it doesn't have rubber at the base, so it moves around a bit on our laminate floor. The new one that we've ordered has rubber at the base, and a removable insert. I'll Google your one now!

Frog

ItsAllTLAsToMe Sun 12-May-13 22:06:07

Oops grin, Frog, yes, I dithered over the BabyBjorn seat potty thing... It does look comfortable, and I'm sure one of the reviews said that they could have it in their room at night until there were 4 in case they needed a wee! Then I thought, do I really want DS to be weeing in his room in the middle of the night, then going back to bed? I don't know - like so many things in parenting, you can't always tell what's a good idea until you're right in the middle of it! I hope things go well with the CM and Nanny smile.

confused At the nanny horrified by potty training!

Sorry, itsall, I thought we meant the same sort of thing. Our portable potty is the potette plus, think I got it on sale in mothercare! It is a good idea, and I'll probably find it useful when travelling. I just haven't needed it out and about much as we don't really go anywhere where we haven't got fast access to a loo. It is also fine as a loo seat, I just got a soft seat one as the potette is quite thin and hard and DS was having trouble pooing on the toilet at the time as he wasn't waiting for long enough, so I thought I'd try and make it as comfy as possible for him grin

An hour and a half in and there is one wee in the potty and no accidents grin let's hope it continues!
Wish me luck for the trip out later too confused
Hope everyone else has a good day grin

TheScreamingfrog Mon 13-May-13 08:23:24

Way to go whispers! Nothing yet.... Missed the morning wee as I was trying to ignore the fact that DD was up despite her yelling "are you coming to play" before 7!

ItsAllTLAsToMe Mon 13-May-13 08:31:41

Most of our morning wee went all over the kitchen floor confused!

Onwards and upwards.

TheScreamingfrog Mon 13-May-13 10:52:12

God this is hard isn't it!
Just off to buy some trainer pants in the hope of less carpet scrubbing!

Just putting her down for a nap. No wee accidents, and I caught a poo in the potty earlier, but don't think it counts as she was going to do it wherever she was if I had not been sat right there with a potty to hand! hmmgrin
The trip out went fine, it was to a music class at our local children's centre, she did one wee on a potty there, but I did have to persuade her.
All in all, a good day so far!
I have had a brainwave about nappies in the day. I remember now that the difference between pull ups and training pants is that it is absorbed the same as a nappy in a pull up, but training pants allow them to feel they are wet. Which is what I think dd needs to help her not to forget when she has to wear a nappy. I remembered that I have some washable nappies which I think will allow her to feel she is wet, so i have put one of those on for her nap grin and might use them if we go anywhere where an accident would be a massive pain. Will see how it goes smile
Hope the rest of everyone's days go well!

TheScreamingfrog Mon 13-May-13 13:54:13

You seem to be doing brilliantly Whispers!
We have one pee in the potty, one on the floor and a poo in the pants sooo not great!

I have just been out and bought these
http://www.thenappylady.co.uk/trainer-pants/bright-bots-trainer-pants.html

And this

http://www.thenappylady.co.uk/essential-accessories/car-seat-protectors.html

Fortunately, the nappy lady lives just round the corner from me!

I think that my stress is feeding on to DD.... I am trying to relax!

Just having a brew whilst she naps!

Could do with driving to get a new tablecloth from the nearest town (half an hour each way, we are rural!) now as we have visitors staying later in the week and our current one is shocking. Having a wobble though, don't know whether to just go for it without a nappy confused It doesn't help that she generally won't go on demand, unlike DS, you could at least get him to do a leaving the house wee to lessen the risk!
Why oh why did I pick this week?! confused

TheScreamingfrog Mon 13-May-13 15:52:03

Haha, when would be a good week!
I am now bouyed by further success with another sort of unprompted wee in a potty after a dry nap.
I went out with a carrier bag under a towel on the car seat earlier and spare clothing just in case!

Unprompted is great, DS didn't get to that stage until months and months after we started training sad
DD hasn't gone unprompted today either, but I might be expecting a little too much! We went to the shops, we were about two hours in total and I was brave and didn't put a nappy on her. No accidents grin we did a family trip to the loo in Asda where DS obligingly did a wee as well so she didn't feel personally pressured into going and she went grin
Just so confusing as yesterday was disastrous, so I still have no idea really whether to carry on at the end of the week confused

TheScreamingfrog Mon 13-May-13 18:33:14

Sounds like you have had some positives Whispers. What's your gut feeling?

How have your days gone Its and Bernard?

I'm not sure about gut feeling. I know that she is so much more ready than DS was when I made the decision not to put him back in nappies again, so my heart says that we should carry on. Also I am really worried about missing the boat a bit. The back story with DS is that he showed interest when he was just over two, but it was February, so I decided in my wisdom to not do anything until the summer, wrongly assuming that he couldn't get any less ready hmm I couldn't have been more wrong, just before we started he hit a massively defiant stage which played a huge role in why it then took over 6 months for him to be reliably trained sad I spent the second half of last year kicking myself for not just going with the flow when he first became interested. So, as you can see, this has an impact on how I'm feeling this time round, I do not want to end up in the same battle of wills as I did the first time sad
On the other hand, I can see she's not entirely on board with poos, which are the messier part of the whole operation! Am wondering if starting earlier just means many months of cleaning up rather than leaving it until later. A lot to ponder!

Hope it's gone ok for everyone else today. smile

How is everyone doing?

Another disaster day here, three accidents (one on my friend's husband's gaming chair blushblush) and one wee on potty. It's like we have one brilliant day followed by one awful day! Friends are telling me to persevere though, so we will keep going smile
Hope everyone else is having a better day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now