Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Still brooking no argument whatsoever that these babies are happy, healthy and awesome for 2013 too.

(1000 Posts)
jaggythistle Wed 26-Dec-12 20:46:08

eh. attempt at new thread. yo.

Hi again, posting here cos it's where you all live at the moment and just need a quick bit of advice. I just fell in the ice, I managed to twist so I went on my side and booby has been having a lovely wriggle. I have managed to hurt my arm and made my hips much much worse, but I am also having some very mild period pain type cramps. Is there a point at which I should worry or just assume for now that it is because I have stretched myself and it will be ok??

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Mon 11-Mar-13 20:26:58

Cartoon, I haven't met you before, but I'm hoping and Brooking that a baby will come for you and DH very soon. Thinking of you for tomorrow - I know it will be the hardest thing you've ever had to go through, but it's incredible what you can do when you have to. I hope your next ttc journey is a fast and smooth road.

Green, I still have recurring buttock/sciatic pain a year on. It's especially bad after an Ikea trip, weirdly enough, when I've walked for a long time in ballet pumps or similarly unsupportive shoes. I haven't seen a physio, though - it isn't usually that bad, just flares up every now and then. After my VB with DD1 the SPD took months to die down, and I was pg again within 3 months and it came roaring back at 10 weeks. Not fun.

Scarlet, so sorry to hear that you've been diagnosed with a prolapse. sad What did the doctor say about the surgery? Musical, have you seen a doctor about your issue?

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Mon 11-Mar-13 20:27:52

Sorry, X posted! Boo, how far along are you? Brooking that it's just BH/stress.

32 weeks Too I have been having BH's a lot more this week, I hope it is just that.

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Mon 11-Mar-13 21:09:42

Honestly, Boo, if you are worried, go to Triage. I went at 32 weeks because I had the tiniest bit of bleeding (a spot the size of a 10p piece blush) and they put me on the monitor and it turned out I was having lovely regular BH that looked like cx on the monitor. They weren't, though, just BH. But they didn't make me feel silly at all and it was so relaxing to lie there watching M's heartbeat and knowing that actually, at that particular moment she was fine and in safe hands. So really, it is so much better to go and have the trace than worry at home!

I just had some paracetamol and about to hop in a bath, if I am still feeling them after that I will go, but I'm sure I will be fine. My hips and legs hurt more than anything now.

musicalmrs Mon 11-Mar-13 21:39:47

Green/*Too*, I didn't have SPD, but do have a back problem that causes sciatic pain - Too, it's also worse after a lot of walking - oddly an Ikea trip marked the start of this last flare up!

Boo, I managed to walk into a glass door at about 34 weeks blush. I didn't go to triage or similar in the end, but purely because I felt DD moving lots and had a midwife's appointment the next day. If you're at all worried definitely go - that's what they're there for after all! A quick trip will be much better than spending too much time worrying.

Too, no I haven't seen anyone about it recently, though did make a trip about 3/4 months back when I was told one of the problems was eczema and given some cream. Having done some research I think it's most likely a cystocele or rectocele, as Dream had - rather than a full prolapse. It's getting better with more pelvic floor and core muscle exercises -which I have to do for my back too, so it's all the more reason to be good and do them.

Ouch Boo. The worrier in me would have to get checked out. If it's not too difficult for you to get there it's probably worth it for piece of mind.

Thanks for sharing the prolapse info Dream. I also think my damage was done from doing too much too soon after my EMCS with DD. I felt fine after a week or so and just carried on as usual which you sort of have to when you have older DC and a DH who had a permanent "poor me" face at having to do everything. It was definitely started off by DS's forceps arrival but I didn't ever enquire as to how bad it was at the time.

Anyway, the GP just had a quick look blush and confirmed the back vaginal wall has prolapsed. He asked whether I've finished having children and then offered to refer me for a surgical repair. He did say if I could put up with it then it would be ok as it is. Thing is, I didn't mention the suspected rectocele, the fact my episiotomy from DS is still sore over 4 years later, I have permanent thrush, I'm bleeding in between periods, my periods are still so heavy I can't leave the house for more than 30 minutes for the first 2 days or my clothes get bloodied. Sex is off limits because I just can't get enthusiastic about any action down there, so I figured a thorough check by a gynae doctor cannot be a bad thing. If after that they suggest pelvic floor exercises might help and to put off surgery fair enough. Musical I think you're right, it's probably worth waiting until you're sure your family is complete. Might be worth someone doing an examination though, just to find out the scale of the damage?

cartoon so sorry for you and your dh

scarlet - yes, tell a doctor! That sounds horrendous. To be nosy, are you done having children?

PetWoman Tue 12-Mar-13 06:52:02

Cartoon I'm so desperately sorry for your loss. sad

Ahem. What is a rectocule?

Scarlet that all sounds dreadful. You definitely need someone to check it out and hopefully fix it all.

More later, Brookers. Gotta get up with DS now.

Morning, thank you for your advice last night. Everything fine this morning. Well, I'm a bit stiff and sore, but baby is still where it should be smile

Scarlet hope you get a quick referral and sorted, it sounds really awful for you.

See you all properly in 6 weeks or so smilesmile

GreenOlives Tue 12-Mar-13 09:33:04

Glad you're feeling better this morning boo Try and take it easy today though if you're stiff and sore - no boat building today! grin

Glad to hear it is all good today boo, we look forward to welcoming you over here properly very soon <starts whittling Boo her own set of glittery matchsticks with their very special eye-propping-open abilities>

scarlet please go and get all that checked out. It may be easier to fix than you think and fixing it sounds like it will impact very positively on your life. It must be a nightmare to put up with at the moment. Isn't there an ongoing thread called the raggedies or something that is support and advice for all things Not Right Down Below? They might be able to offer some nuggets of advice?

Right I have a very tired dd nearly asleep over a hot cross bun, I think its nap time....

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Tue 12-Mar-13 15:25:00

Scarlet, I think a doctor who suggested you might just be able to put up with a prolapse is incredibly stupid. Given that you presumably told him/her that you had finished having children (as you have said before on here), why should you just live with it? It was impacting on your life to the point where you had to tell the doctor - it's not nothing! Okay, so you didn't mention any of the other things - but did the doctor ask if there was anything else? I am frankly horrified that you have all that to deal with. If the advice turns out to be, as Dream says, that it is medically better for you to wait as long as possible before surgery then fair enough, but that is not the same as just putting up with it. That's a decision you would make after a full examination by an expert who talked through all your options and allowed you to weigh them up. angry Also, I'll bet you anything that a man going to the doctor about a problem that had an impact on his sex life would be referred instantly, with no suggestion that he just put up with it. Did the doctor even ask you whether intercourse was comfortable?

<does pelvic floor exercises>

Boo, glad you're okay this morning!

I saw my GP again today because I called the surgery to ask whether he had made the referral to gynae and they said no. They went and checked with him and came back and told me that he wouldn't refer me at my age so I made an appointment to see him this evening.

He said I'd got the wrong end of the stick when he offered to refer me to gynae hmm and that he'd meant he'd refer me when I'm in my 40s. I raised my other concerns and he confirmed I was right, that he'd noticed the rectocele, but along with the prolapse it's very unlikely I'd qualify for a repair until I'm older. I've been prescribed something other than crappy canesten for the thrush same as I took 2 months ago and it didn't work then and some non-hormonal medication to reduce the blood loss during my AF. So I'll have to see how it goes I guess. If the thrush would just eff off I'd be happier tbh.

Ninja thanks for highlighting that thread, I'll have a read of that over the next few days.

So glad to hear you're ok Boo

If you're lurking Cartoon you've been in my thoughts today. I hope you're as well as you can be.

PetWoman Thu 14-Mar-13 06:39:50

<gets out megaphone. Bellows at top volume>

EFF OFF, thrush!

<Puts away megaphone. Looks satisfied>

Let us know if it worked, Scarlet, ok? If successful, I am happy to employ my magic megaphone to clear up coughs, colds, vomiting and any other unpleasant visitors who may be imposing on us Brookers. smile

Stacks Thu 14-Mar-13 09:29:12

Morning. You all keep dropping off my 'threads I'm on'. Just can't think of anything to write most of the time. I've turned into a bit of a bore I think, but I guess it's good things are going well enough that I don't have to keep bothering you all for advice. My dads surgery was put back rom today til Monday. Going to ring him soon to find out why.

Scarlet, really hope the thrush clears up soon. Can't believe they're just going to leave you that uncomfortable with everything else. Doesn't seem right, I wonder if its based on research of poor outcomes, or just cost?

Dream, I think of you often. Always hoping you've managed to take a break and get a run of good nights. How's DS with the medication? Have you managed to keep it down him and see results? Hope you and the whole family are illness free.

Pet, waves. I feel I don't really know you that well. Not sure we've been on another brooking thread together? Hope you're well too. How's work?

Too, we briefly mentioned meeting up sometime, then I dropped the ball. Would you like to get a coffee or something one day? You sounded pretty busy a while back though, so no worries if you still are.

Ninja, Olives, Pomme, Gen and Musical - hope you and the DC's are all well and happy.

Scream, thinking of you too. If you're lurking "hi" <waves>

Hope I've not missed anyone.

it's very quiet here at the moment. Mind you, I'm hardly the best at posting regularly! How is everyone this morning? scarlet your gp doesn't sound very helpful I have to say. Is it only him, can you see anyone else? I wonder what a second opinion might bring....
So what is everyone up to on this bright and sunny day? I am meeting dp for an early lunch then heading into town to buy stuff for ds's book character costume for tomorrow. Then I have to put the costume together. I think a simple ready meal style dinner may be in order tonight as I doubt I'll have time for anything else!

Rubbish scarlet, though as i said, I have heard its much better to wait for surgery or you may need repeat surgery in later life. My friend saw an excellent consultant here and was basically told that. She was referred for proper women's health physio though, and she does have good results with those exercises. Thrush is awful though, awful. I had it all through my first pregnancy, one of the biggest reliefs was not having it with the dts. Why do they think its not going? Is there anything else you can try, diet things, herbal stuff- you must be desperate by now! I was so reluctant to try cutting out dairy but it has worked, still does sadly. Another recent re try with b failed massively. And i didn't want to medicalise s, but it seems he doesn't just have a behavioural issue, so I'm standing corrected on many things, and suggesting things I never normally would! (I'm very non- woo iykwim!)

S still ill. Not such high temp though (did I say he was 39.8 the other day?!) but not managed to get him in his cot at all, ever, for three nights now.... He is much better on the ranitidine though. Very delayed loopy but omeprazole and ranitidine have different actions. My dh helpfully said they don't give omeprazole to babies, I pointed out ranitidine isn't licensed for the under 3's either but he didn't really elaborate as to why s is better with ranitidine than omeprazole.

I'm very tired and have already told dh to eff off and shouted at b for refusing to sit down (he's joined s in the highly discontented ranks at not moving but not wanting to crawl, just stand up and practice walking) . Bad, bad parenting. Guilty mummy. I have still not had more than 3 hours sleep in a row, bar once, since the dts birth. Fact. And 3 hours is lucky, on a good night. sad

Made the dc's music group this morning at least, but not looking forward to having them all afternoon while dh does errands and goes to the dentist.

stacks, great It's all going so well. Ashamed to say I've already forgotten what surgery it is your dad is having? Is his house ready now though?

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Thu 14-Mar-13 13:18:45

Late for afternoon meeting, but Stacks, I'd love to meet up! Are you busy tomorrow? Fridays are best for me because I'm working Mon-Thurs atm. I have an idea that you live in Liberton/Gilmerton sort of area. I don't know that area very well, but if there's a nice cafe somewhere, I could meet you there. Or what about the big Dobie's Garden Centre just across the bypass?

Loopyhasanotherbean Thu 14-Mar-13 15:29:57

I'm glad I don't need some weird outfit for ds1 tomorrow that requires effort, his nursery are having a "wear red and/or turn up with mad hair" day tomorrow for comic relief so that's easy, red top from debenhams which was on sale smile. Now if only Easter was so easy, what's the common thoughts on what a boys Easter bonnet should look like?

Dream, odd re medication, the consultant we saw was going to prescribe ranitidine until he weighed ds1 then changed it to omeprazole so I just assumed they did the same thing!

And that is so crap re your lack of sleep, didn't your DH think to let you at least have some sleep last weekend as a Mother's Day gift?!?!

TheLittleFriend Thu 14-Mar-13 16:45:20

Dream, I would be shouting at everyone in my path if I was still surviving on that little sleep after so long. I was pretty thrilled to get my first 2 1/2 hour stretch last night, but ds is only 4 weeks wink

Scarlet, I hope the medication helps, you must be so uncomfortable.

I'm drinking lots of fennel tea atm, as its meant to help breastfed babys wind. Though J's problem is still struggling to poo, rather than wind, so I'm not holding out much hope.

Stacks Thu 14-Mar-13 16:55:34

Well, today the ILs came to visit, so I took advantage of their hands to hold the baby while I did some much needed cleaning. Didn't get everything done, but made a good start. Then took cat to the vet, he's going to need a GA and X-rays which will probably be expensive. Then whatever treatment they put him on. I was hoping to get down to London to see my dad in the hospital, or just after he's out. Hope we still have the funds to do so!

Dream my dad is going in for heart valve repair/replacement, so chest opened up, bypass machine etc. he's been pushed back til Wednesday now. More time to worry, but more time to plan too.
Sorry to year you've still not had a night if sleep or sickness free days. I hope S gets better soon, and you're a wonderful mummy! There's no way I'd be getting out to baby groups on as little sleep as you're getting, not to mention just the general stress and palaver of getting any children out the house, let alone 3 littlies.

Ninja hope you had a nice lunch and success on the costume buying. Did/do you know what character you're doing?

Too Got a little bit of a busy morning with vet then swimming. Swimming is on Lauriston place, so we could meet up in town around lunch time, or Dobbies in the afternoon?

Loopy are you going to do mad hair for DS tomorrow too? I've no idea on Easter bonnets, I'd probably do a google image search for inspiration.

Loopyhasanotherbean Thu 14-Mar-13 19:36:08

Stacks, will be no mad hair other than his usual bed hair. He seems to be rather OCD on a lot of things, one of which is us brushing his hair, so it's not worth even trying to do anything with it!

Re your dad, I hope it all goes well. I know how you must be feeling, my dad had a triple heart bypass almost 21 years ago and things were v risky back then, I'm guessing the survival rates are much better these days with all the medical advances.

What's up with your cat? Did I miss something or had you not mentioned it before?

Stacks Thu 14-Mar-13 19:52:45

little we x-posted earlier. Grats on the 2.5 hr sleep smile T was a good sleeper early on, would do about 4 hours at a time. He dropped to 2 hourly around the growth spurts, and is now kinda back to 4 hours. We got a 6 hour stretch once, it was confusing... Have you looked at baby massage for wind/poo issues? There's some recommended for colic and wind that you can do from quite early, I think T was 6w when the health visitor came to show me. The strokes were called water wheel, sun and moon and, errm one where you bring their knees up to their chest and squeeze a bit. That and bicycling their legs.

Loopy thanks, I'm trying not to worry about my dad, but it's hard. Cardiac surgery is such a difficult field to get into these days that only the best of the best get in. I find that reassuring.
My cat possibly got hit by a car, or attacked, or fell off something. It's a mystery. He's limping pretty badly though, it's been a week on painkillers with no improvement so it's in for an X-ray to see what it shows. Vet was guessing arthritis which has become symptomatic after the trauma. We shall see. It's a really early start though, have to drop him off between 8:30 and 9am. sad

This thread is not accepting new messages.