Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

November 2012 - hurry up to graduate, we're running out of November

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Mon 26-Nov-12 11:03:46
ValiumQueen Tue 27-Nov-12 12:45:31

Off to baby clinic with DD2. She is coughing constantly. Low grade temp, but beginning to wheeze and is very clingy. Just been feeding J, DD throws up, I catch it in my hand (first bit anyway) then I'm thinking what the bleep do I do now? I also have a dreadful cough. J is getting quite used to being put down mid feed. He waits patiently mostly.

Nights are still bad. Last night I wanted to try a dummy as he is sucking for comfort a lot. DH said no, he did not want a kid sucking a dummy. I burst into tears I was so angry. This morning he insists we try a dummy as DS searching for my boob kept him awake. FFS!

<<off to google sleep>>

TheDetective Tue 27-Nov-12 13:00:08

I've had 90 minutes sleep this morning. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz...!!

We have finally named him! Oscar Zachary!

My epis is humongous apparently, midwife was shocked at state of it this morning, the stitching leaves a lot to be desired she said. There isn't anything I can do. She took out the stitch that i thought was giving the problem, but that hasn't really helped. She though it was an inside one and tried to get it out, but couldn't get to it, plus it is one continuous stitch so the whole thing could fall apart! She thinks there is a haematoma there, and I'm inclined to suspect she is right! sad Oh, and it is possibly infected. My fanjo is fucked basically!

Good job Oscar is so damn cute grin.

Sophia and chunky - have you looked into acid reflux if they are getting sick all the time?DS1 had this and I gave him gaviscon on the advice of GP and it made a world of differernce. It's a pain if you are bfing though. GP can also prescribe meds for it.

DS stayed awake from 11 til 4.30 last night, and fed for most of it. My nipples are in tatters. Bonus is that he then slept from 4.30 til 9 which is good going for a 5 day old...anyway off to get some nipple shields and try them for a few days because I am getting to the point where I'm dreading feeding him. Has anyone any experience of them?

horseylady Tue 27-Nov-12 13:05:23

Vq the dummy has helped us loads. I cried when dh first tried it but it's in ATM as I've just eaten lunch, he's not hungry but crying in any position and he's happy sat on my knee!! Watching me.

Went to the clinic this morning to get him weighed. He screamed the place down!! Putting on weight well, now 9lb 10 so 10oz in two weeks. Which I'm happy with. They reassured me about feeding too. Thought I was doing it correctly.

Then went to a baby group and there was a photographer there so we had some photos taken. He then decided to scream again lol!! Think he wanted people to know he was there and have more cuddles!! Have decided he's the loudest baby in the world!!

Pass -ds suddenly was awake more, he still has sleepy days but is mostly awake and naps for 30mins or so. He tends to have one longer nap each day (90 mins to 2 hours) which coincided with me making an arse of myself in sainsburies and outside boots!!

Thanks for the info with the flat heads. Will we see odd shaped heads in the future then?!

TheDetective Tue 27-Nov-12 13:18:28

I'm considering a dummy after being not so keen on the idea. Oscar has been comfort feeding a lot the last 2 days. Going to persevere a little longer yet especially as me and DP are here so it doesn't matter that he feeds and feeds and feeds! If it doesn't settle down a bit though I will use one.

TheDetective Tue 27-Nov-12 13:19:29

I'm going to invest in a rubber ring today grin. Please let it make life more comfortable!

Waiting for painkillers to kick in, and then going to wash and dry my hair for the first time in 5 days...!!!

ShellyBobbs Tue 27-Nov-12 13:24:19

Valium I descended into dummy territory last night after hours of nipple sucking. I ended up on the settee at about 1.30am and was still sat there when hubby came down at 6.45!

Tommy was weighed today and he's put 10lbs on in 6 days, I'm really not surprised!

I was picking up DD2 and DS1 from school yesterday, DD was stood at the door and the teacher said to Erin, 'I can't see your mummy anywhere'. Erin told her, 'she's over there, in the middle of all those people'. I was surrounded by mums fawning over Tommy smile

I gave him some infacol last night, you'd have thought I'd cut his tongue off with the screaming and crying he did!

Triplets shock no thank you!

ValiumQueen Tue 27-Nov-12 13:27:13

detective deffo Oscar. Suits him. Surely he is just stimulating your supply at this age?

Thank you for feedback re dummy. Doh says he doesn't want a 4yo running around with a dummy in his mouth I said I would prefer that to a 6yo who still sucks her fingers. DD1 overheard. Oops.

ShellyBobbs Tue 27-Nov-12 13:28:15

It took me that long to write my post, about 3/4 hour, so sorry for all the x-posts!

ValiumQueen Tue 27-Nov-12 13:28:27

shelly 10 oz I am guessing grin

ShellyBobbs Tue 27-Nov-12 13:30:21

Hahaha yes, 10oz. Might muck up their charts if it WAS lbs grin

Those of you whose LOs had colds at the end of last week, are they getting better? My LO seems fine now. Hard to believe a week ago she was in hospital on oxygen.

DH got DD1 a doll to play with so that she would have her own baby too. Should I be worried that she keeps holding it upside down by its feet, and putting it in LO's bouncer chair head and belly down? grin

I sucked my thumb til after my adult teeth came in and now have slightly stock out teeth which I was very self conscious about for a long time. Wouldn't have happened if I had had a dummy that I could have been weaned from and a decent dentist during my teens

TheDetective Tue 27-Nov-12 13:41:52

He has done a grand job with my supply! I could feed 5000 babies! But he is quite settled comes off the boob, good signs that he has fed well. You put him down, and boom, he has to go back on. Sucks for 2-5 minutes, then back to sleep. Put him back down. Same again. I've been stuck in this cycle since 11am today! I've finally just got him to go in the moses basket. But it involves keeping hold of him for at least 20-30 minutes after his last feed!

I'm persevering for now, but I can tell when he is comfort sucking and when he wants a proper feed!

ShellyBobbs Tue 27-Nov-12 13:48:48

Tommy has been the same for 16 days Detective, that's why I broke and gave him a dummy last night grin

Elizadoesdolittle Tue 27-Nov-12 13:50:38

Marking place, just about to head out for rest of day so will catch up on thread later this evening.

Welcome and congratulations to new additions to the thread.

StuntNun Tue 27-Nov-12 13:57:07

Bryzoan those afterpains will shrink your tummy down nicely.

Freddie nipple shields are really easy to use, a bit of a faff sterilising them but baby doesn't need to latch on, they just have to suck. If you get a choice of shape I found the rectangular ones easier than the circular ones since they don't leak as easily and you can hold them on with two fingers while you feed.

VQ if your baby needs to suck then they will enjoy having a dummy. Some babies just need to suck all the time so don't feel bad. Better a dummy than a thumb or fingers.

detective lovely name, Oscar is my nephews name smile

Dd has basically slept all day really hope that doesn't mean she'll make up for it at night because she's hungry!

horseylady Tue 27-Nov-12 14:29:20

Quick question for those bottle feeding - when and why do you move up teats? Currently using a size one what indicates him being ready for a size two?!

SwissArmyWife Tue 27-Nov-12 14:41:02

Just thought I'd say hello as I can finally post here!
Ozzy James born on the 23rd at 6:26am, 8lb 4oz! The day I was meant to be induced, 42 weeks. Glad he came spontaneously! He is an absolute angel and letting me get 6 - 8 hours sleep a night. Which compared to DD is an absolute miracle! Haven't put birth story up yet.
Have now developed a uterus infection so not feeling fantastic but feeling a lot better than I did when pg!

Hope everyone else and their lo's are doing well!

Horsey with DD1 I changed teats when it looked like she was having to make more of an effort to drink - obvious impatience.

You can try a new teat and will quickly see if the flow is too fast. They'll dribble and spit up.

SwissArmyWife Tue 27-Nov-12 14:44:03

Oh and we are using dummies - never did with DD but Ozzy benefits from them - they are so worth it for the three hour naps in his basket! He's feeding amazingly aswell so I'm comfortable giving him a dummy. If it works, do it I say.

Passmethecrisps Tue 27-Nov-12 14:44:38

<waves at swiss>

horsey one of the community midwives suggested moving up last week. We tried it for two feeds and she vommed hugely. She just wasn't ready. I would leave it until about 2 months

YellowWellies Tue 27-Nov-12 14:47:13

Just checking in - we're mid growth spurt and I am living on mars bars... however i'm about to have a hot cuppa!!!

horseylady Tue 27-Nov-12 14:55:01

Pass thank you!! He seems ok on these teats I was wondering if there was an obvious sign he needed to move but working hard makes sense.

I still feel I know nothing about bottle feeding yet have been doing it for the last four weeks!!!

This thread is not accepting new messages.