Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Brooking no argument for babies who sleep, eat, smile and behave perfectly at all times. Yeah right!

(1000 Posts)

New thread, here we go...

Oooooo B is clapping Dream?! How clever! DD just looks at us like we're crazy people when we try to get her to clap! grin She's also not big on rolling, like the DTs. She'll do it if she has to but she'd much rather just sit up!

That's so amazing when you mention your DD showing empathy. Now that's a skill that REALLY matters! It shows her great character, even at such a young age. It's the kind of thing you can't teach, and not all children will have. You must be so incredibly proud of her!

p.s I meant to say Dream I also have that same sense of shame around DD's sleep. I'm so glad I know you ladies, although of course I'm sorry that some of you are having similar sleep issues, but no one I know in RL has a baby that wakes as much as little A at a similar age. They all look at me with such pity if I mention it, and then they give a flood of really basic advice ("have you tried turning down the light in her room?") as if clearly I must be doing something very wrong / different to them if she's still waking so much. It's frustrating, but at 3am I always wonder if they're right and it's all my fault that she's up...

Anyways, just wanted to say you're not alone on that score!

Y y y scream "do you have a bedtime routine?" Yes, of course I do with three to sort out, bath, boob, wide awake giggly baby gets dumped in his cot, first of the lot, as he self soothes and goes to sleep the best out of my three....then terrorises me all night sad . Kind of cack handed clapping from B but he has a go smile . DD will show sympathy if i bump myself, and remember it later- like if i knocked my knee on something, another day she'll notice we were where I was when I did it and show the pain sign and rub it better for me, and still takes care of her grandpa when he straps her into her chair at the table as he once caught his hand in the buckle. She's a little poppet. I am a lucky person, maybe tomorrow I'll say that with more feeling smile

Biscuitsandtinsel Thu 06-Dec-12 20:41:41

Oh yes I forgot to mention the school thing pomme. I know what you mean about the little village school thing. It sounds gorgeous and will be lovely for dd when you come back. She'll be getting such amazing experiences living in Italy though and I'm sure she'll do great at the international school. As dream says she sounds like she is a confident and brave girl so I'm sure she'll love it smile

Biscuitsandtinsel Thu 06-Dec-12 20:51:32

And scarlet I've just watched the Claridges thing. Amazing! How the heck do they know how each half of a couple like their beds made up? I don't even know how I like my bed made up! Do they sit them down and do an in depth interview? Or an online survey? Bonkers!

Oh and Dream/Scream have you thought of laying them down to sleep rather than making them stand on one leg? wink (He he he grin) That will have it nailed I reckon....

I'm a complete wreck here. DH is out, I have wine and I'm watching OBEM What Happened Next from last night. I watched all these babies being born when I was about 7 months pg with DD and they keep playing snippets from their births. I keep blubbing at stuff I wouldn't expect myself to.

No luck finding my rings sad There's only so many times I can keep looking in the same places. Now I'm really starting to doubt myself about when I was last aware of having them on.

Dream I'm so pleased you managed a rest today. Make sure it's not a one off and try and arrange it again for tomorrow.

Scream A really is amazing at what she can do and you have every reason to want to tell everyone. I was the quiet one with my PFB as he did everything last amongst everyone we knew with DC the same age grin but I never felt irritated by anyone pointing out how advanced their DC were, I was always amazed by it plus extremely anxious about why my DS was so lazy in comparison. DD is much more developed than he was at his age but I would say average in terms of what she can do. I just love watching the two of them together, she adores him and he's so gentle and caring towards her.

I bought an XT about a month ago and I love it! My needs are different from yours though Scream. I also have a Zia. Our Zia has been made redundant as it's too short for DH and we find it quite flimsy and rickety. But it fits in the boot of the car much better than the XT which is heavy to lift and has to go in diagonally. The XT is far more robust and is very good to steer so it depends what you think your main use of it will be.

Biscuitsandtinsel Thu 06-Dec-12 21:15:48

Good XT v Zia summary Scarlet - couldn't have put it better myself! Mind you I bet our car boots are quite similar since our cars are pretty similar grin

And y y to A being amazing Scream. I don't find it irritating at all when people say what they can do - I find it amazing to see the babies developing. Especially you lovely ladies wouldn't bore me with your children smile

Although having said that I do have one friend who riles me with her boasting and stealth boasting. But I think that she displays that particular trait in many more arenas than just child rearing hmm

Biscuits I have a friend like that too. I wonder if it's the same person...

Biscuitsandtinsel Thu 06-Dec-12 21:29:33

Dh is looking after ds2 tomorrow while I get my hair done (hoo flipping ray) and we just had the following conversation:

Me: are you going to be ok with him, you've never had him on his own
DH: oh yes, I'll be fine
Me: so you know how to make formula then?
DH: erm, you might have to explain that bit....

Well this is going to go well....

Mind you ds2 will be 9 months and this is the first time he'll have had him for any length of time on his own so it's about time he put that right!

Eeeek Biscuits you'd better leave plenty of notes grin
Are you going somewhere new for your hair or the same place as before?

Biscuitsandtinsel Thu 06-Dec-12 21:41:53

I think it might be where you went? Upstairs at the Big Shopping Centre?

Yep that's the one. I've been twice since DD and I'm going again next week. You get a neck and shoulder massage while you wait which is lovely, but I do have to stifle a laugh while they talk about chakras and the like. Enjoy.

Biscuitsandtinsel Thu 06-Dec-12 21:45:17

Awesome :-) I can't wait.

[makes a note to pack my chakras in my handbag grin]

Fuckity fuck fuck fuck, s up 9:30-12 last night then twice more after that plus B was up twice... Still, even so that meant I got more sleep than I did the night before hmm and thank goodness I could feed him to sleep after midnight. But what am I going to do with him?! His wailing from downstairs woke B once, no sound proofing anywhere In our house. Wtaf?!

Boob very sore, can barely pick them up but thankfully we still have some antibiotics left so I don't have to go to the GP smile

Very jealous of the haircut chat, I've not had mine cut for 9 months and it shows!!!! Shameful. My hair used to be really curly though, but its now limp, straight ish and generally horrible since I had the boys. Now, the old lady/ twin skin on my stomach I can accept, but the hair is too much!!!

Love it biscuits, but I'm sure he'll figure it out. Maybe I'll try s with a beaker of formula today....

Biscuitsandtinsel Fri 07-Dec-12 10:50:30

Oh dream, hope the ABs kick in soon xxx

I'm a bit worried about a totally superficial thing. I'm at the hairdressers obviously sat in front of a mirror and my nose looks massive! I always thought I had quite a small nose but I'm worried I may have been mistaken......

I generally hate the looking in the mirror part of the hairdresser looking at my pasty washed out fat face. I even put make up on today for just this reason, and much as I appreciate having my hair slapped back with hair dye is never going to be flattering I just look so, I don't know, meh.... sad

God dream, hope abs help, you get a better night's sleep etc etc. take all the help you can!!

I hate the mirror bit of the hairdresser too biscuit - after a while I feel like I'm a Picasso painting - all wrong!

dh annoying. We're supposed to be moving towards this equitable thing bwtween us in Italy but he seems to be doing LESS to help out. I have no worries about him looking after the girls but he seriously does nothing other than mess things up around the house. I've been out a lot with Italian colleagues visiting in the UK and last night he managed to do so little to help around the house that he didn't even put the frigging dishwasher round!!! GOD, MEN.

Our dishwasher never gets put on pomme unless I do it. My DH lived alone for nearly 10 years but has strangely forgotten how to use all white goods hmm

Speaking of DH he is really annoyed with me over these missing rings. He's trying not to show it but I can tell he's pissed off big time. I've been back into town to retrace my steps, have left a description in all the shops along with my details, plus looked in several pawn brokers and enquired at several cash for jewellery type places. Nothing. sad. I've now logged it with the police as lost property but I'm almost giving up hope. I didn't sleep a wink last night and broke down in tears this morning talking to the manager of Debenhams. I'm so fucking angry with myself.

How's your day going Dream?

<goes off to check out Biscuits's nose on FB to distract myself from wallowing>

Biscuitsandtinsel Fri 07-Dec-12 14:58:05

scarlet poor you! I've just got back from town - if I'd seen you I could have given you a great big hug (after swishing my 'because I'm worth it' hair of course winkgrin)

Really hope it turns up. I'm sure DH isn't annoyed at you as much as at the situation. I'm sure he's sad for the same reasons you are and probably because he knows you're sad about it too iyswim. Still, have some virtual hugs (and a laugh at my nose grin - you can probably see it from your house without looking on fb....)

musicalmrs Fri 07-Dec-12 16:42:48

Ahh, Scream and Dream, I know what you mean about the sleep issues and other people's opinions. Luckily (IYKWIM) my best baby friend here is having issues too, so we can sympathise with each other whilst others go "What, they're still not sleeping?!". Still hoping that teeth may help, though I know that might not be the case. Still no teeth, though hoping they'll be here soon as she's not stopped trying to gnaw furniture for the last two days...

Biscuits - that's clearly where I've been going wrong grin

Scream, lovely to have a PFB day like that! :D The standing sounds so exciting too! Won't be long until she's walking! smile I know what you mean about BLW improving pincer grip - it's definitely been helping here - gave Iz raisins today and the improvement was clear smile

Scarlet, so sorry to hear about your rings. I'm sure they're still around somewhere, just somewhere you haven't looked - or have fallen behind something near where you'd normally put them?

My MN has gone back to the beginning of the thread so I can't see anyone else's posts to reply. It keeps doing that... grr!

To add to the PFB/PSB-ness... Iz is now speeding around the house at full throttle, and managed stairs for the first time earlier (eeeeek). She adores terrorising the cats - I get the feeling they're not so keen grin. Pulling herself up lots too, and climbing everything she can. Off to visit some friends who are expecting tomorrow, and they don't know she's crawling yet... so that'll be a bit of a reality check for them though they are months away from a crawling mad baby..

Today I've done far too little work, and spent far too much time watching The West Wing... oops.

JenFrankincenseAndMyrrh Fri 07-Dec-12 18:03:44

Everyone go and vote for Smegs in the namechange competition here

Biscuitsandtinsel Fri 07-Dec-12 18:10:58

Done.

Come on ladies she's in joint second place.... (Ok so that's only 3 votes versus 5 but hey!)

Done. What's the prize?

Biscuitsandtinsel Fri 07-Dec-12 19:06:12

Just doing my last ever bf.....

<Hands Biscuits a large wine> aww it feels like such a milestone doesn't it? You've done amazing to keep it up for this long.

Biscuitsandtinsel Fri 07-Dec-12 19:24:14

It does feel like the end of an era in a way, but true to form DS had spent this momentous and sentimental occasion (hmm) clawing at my boob, chest and face. Where's the wine!

This thread is not accepting new messages.