Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Brooking no argument for babies who sleep, eat, smile and behave perfectly at all times. Yeah right!

(1000 Posts)

New thread, here we go...

jaggythistle Tue 04-Dec-12 23:08:54

Aw hawthers. smile I'm on week 4 here, although it's kinda like week 2 part 2. i work in 2 completely different labs and did 2 weeks at one and am now at the other. we regularly curse the genius who decided to merge the two teams.

i am doing the first evening shifts this week. DH having fun getting DS2 settled! went home thinking I'd done a good job last night, came in to find I'd missed something which caused my workmate mega issues. sad really hope i did ok tonight! i am also shattered with zooming to the furthest possible point on site, up some stairs and a hill to express! then getting home and having dishes to do. sometimes i wonder about the expressing, but it's only for a few months...

I'm also fed up of the moaning already.

night night....

sad * Hawthers* don't beat yourself up. I'm very sure you're not rubbish at anything. I cant offer any words of wisdom as I've not been in your shoes but I hope things get better for you very quickly failing that get yourself on annual leave or signed off sick until after Christmas
Hopefully the boys should settle down once they get used to the new routine. It's bound to make work seem even worse if you know that they're missing you.

Biscuits there's a gorgeous rag doll from mamas and papas called Berry Rag Doll Soft Toy - Once Upon A Tme. Sorry still not figured out links on iPad but I'm sure you'll find it using that info. My DD LOVES hers.

Failing that there's a gift shop near me which sell gorgeous personalised gifts for babies. I'll PM you the name of it, it's just up the road from mine near the supermarket IYKWIM. They're pretty quick at getting them made up too.

Hello all! Have missed you all!

Italy was good, house good, amazing location right in the centre. Unfortunately heating wasn't working so we were all a bit brr, hopefully that will be sorted before we move! dd1 is going to the International School and it so isn't what I'd chose normally but it'll be fine for 18 months (right?!!). Nursery seems fine for A, happy with that.

Hawthers - Fingers crossed it starts to get better for you.

Biscuitsandtinsel Wed 05-Dec-12 09:53:44

Wow Pomme that all sounds like it is moving so fast! Not to you probably but to me! Glad the house and nursery seem fine. What is it about the International School that you wouldn't normally choose? How old will DD1 be while she is there? As you say it is only 18 months. Will she be back to start school here at the 'normal' time? Is there anything you could do to counteract anything you don't like about the international school iyswim?

Sob sob, our first snow and DD is miles away in Reading with DH at his uncle's house. I'm so unbelievably gutted sad

Pomme Italy sounds amazing! I second all of Biscuits' queries about the International School though. Children are super resilient, even if you don't think the IS is optimal I'm sure DD1 will still find her place in the school and thrive.

Sending hugs to Hawthers it all sounds so stressful. I firmly believe that as a No Brooker you can handle anything life throws at you! I've heard from lots of people how hard it is going back to work, but in the end they've all found a way to make it work, and I'm sure you will too. The horrible stress of change will fade and soon it'll be perfectly normal again, for all of you! Until then, have lots of hugs from us!

<Does a little dance to celebrate the arrival of mini Smegs, and plumps up a few pillows for when Smegs comes in>

p.s. It turns out that there isn't any snow at DH's uncle's house. Phew! So DD is missing out on the snow at home, but I'm kinda glad she isn't experiencing snow for the first time miles away from me <selfish Mum emoticon blush>

scream - we're about an hour south of reading and not even one flake. I'm annoyed - I want the excuse of a duvet/dvd day!

I think maybe I'm just comparing the IS to the school she has done a term of pre school at here (and hopefully where they'll both go when we're back). Its a small school, a house basically and some outbuildings, just up the road, great teachers and a real magical 'feel' to the place. The IS is MASSIVE, all sparkly new facilities with bells on (I'm not keen on schools like this, I think imagination and 'real' learning is better, I know that's odd!) and the teachers, whilst fine, did seem quite as good (obviously really hard to tell from 20 min meeting).

Hopefully all will be good. I still maintain IS will be better for her than an Italian pre school as all in Italian would really upset her I think.

Mini smegs is here??? Exciting! Good birth story? What happened to the birth stories in the end?

Is it work that's bothering you more hawthers or the boys missing you?

didN'T seem quite as good

Meant to say yesterday thanks cakes for confirming DS's rash isn't contagious. Ninja DS's Molluscum is trouble free for the most part, just a bit unsightly on his limbs. For some unknown reason though he's had a load of them become infected recently which has made it all rather unpleasant. The anti-biotics will clear up the infection but not the molluscum itself. He's had them about 18 months now and I'm really hoping this is the beginning of the end. A lot of people on threads about it here have said it tends to get really bad just before it clears up. How long has your DS had it?

No snow here either thankfully. I bloody hate the stuff.

NinjaChipmunksGotBigBaubles Wed 05-Dec-12 14:26:15

scarlet he's probably had them about 18 months maybe a little longer and they go a bit red and inflamed/ scab over before they disappear. He was just told not to scratch/ pick them and they shouldn't scar. They've pretty much disappeared now thankfully. He used to call them his bobbles.
Mini smegs has arrived? Brill news. Hope they are all well. Will try to pop over to ante natal thread when I get a chance.
DD is still mega snotty and coughing all the time poor sausage but at least she is less grumpy. All our snow has now vanished but ds was chuffed to wake up to it today. I've been planning my Christmas dinner today and I think I've got it all sorted, there will be 7 of us including the kids, need to make a mega shopping list now so I don't forget anything. Lots of booze will be needed I think. What starters/ nibbles do you all do to stave off the hunger until the turkey is served?
Right bet get ready to walk up to school. DS went dressed as a 1960's style businessman today as they had to dress up as something that represented the country they came from. He looked spiffing. Must remember to get a pic later.

hohohohawthers Wed 05-Dec-12 15:04:13

I highly recommend a puff pastry and pesto nibble thing. Just spread some pesto on ready rolled puff pastry then roll it up and chop the roll into slices. Lay the slices flat on a baking sheet and bake for 10 mins ish. Totally lush and dead easy.

Biscuitsandtinsel Wed 05-Dec-12 15:50:35

Mmmmm hawthers that sounds yum! Great idea.

I wrote my christmas lunch menu thing at the weekend. We normally do soup as a starter, which is a bit much for my money because it fills me everyone up, especially ds1 as he loves soup and bread so then isn't at all bothered about loads of veggies for dinner. But it's always been soup for starter. My MIL always did soup (or does soup whenever we have dinner at theirs) so I might float the idea of doing something different / lighter. Maybe some things like that pesto thing to snack on. More like nibbles / appetisers sort of thing. What do you think?

I'll run it by my mum first as she is more likely not to mind (the soup is very much my mil).

We're doing christmas lunch for the 4 of us, both sets of parents and my BIL and SIL and their dd so 8 adults and 3 children.

JenFrankincenseAndMyrrh Wed 05-Dec-12 16:21:01

We have never had a starter for christmas lunch, just the roast and then afters

Christmas lunch at our house this year for 7. Only 5 adults though so not too hard. I used to do a soup starter every year but then found I was chucking out piles of veg after dinner so haven't bothered for the last 2 years. I just have lots of snack/nibbles dotted around so no one's starving. We have a big roast of turkey and beef and then usually have pudding later on in the evening.

DS has just had the biggest tantrum he's ever had. Bizarre as he's not had one for months. Proper full on tears, screaming, shouting and throwing himself around. The works. All because I said I'd watched enough Justin Fletcher for one day and no he couldn't watch Justin's House again until tomorrow hmm Roll on Monday...

The funniest thing though is that DD sat bouncing in her chair laughing her head off at him.

SmeggingAroundTheChristmasTree Wed 05-Dec-12 16:34:30

Hullo everyone. Think I belong here now grin. MiniSmegs is here, happy and gorgeous. We're off home in a couple of hours.

See you all soon, thanks for the cushions they're sorely wink needed!

NinjaChipmunksGotBigBaubles Wed 05-Dec-12 16:53:29

Yay smegs <lays out tea, high calorie pastries and chocs and a polo shaped cushion> welcome!

Biscuitsandtinsel Wed 05-Dec-12 17:04:38

[sidles up to smegs attempting to discreetly sniff her beautiful dd's lovely newborn head]

Welcome lovely - well done again on your busy day yesterday!

So how long was it from abandoning the stew to lovely newborn snuggles?

SmeggingAroundTheChristmasTree Wed 05-Dec-12 17:25:56

Thanks Ninja and Biscuits. T'was 4 & 1/2 hours in total, start to finish! Feel very happy, long enough to not be emotionally traumatic, short enough to feel pretty lucky!

Biscuitsandtinsel Wed 05-Dec-12 17:32:17

I wonder what our longest and shortest brooking labours have been?

NinjaChipmunksGotBigBaubles Wed 05-Dec-12 17:34:50

Mine was 5 1/2 hours this time and i feel the same, such a different experience to the first one. smile Glad to hear it's all going well and getting home is always nice.

Biscuitsandtinsel Wed 05-Dec-12 17:55:36

Mine was 4 hours from waters breaking and 50 mins of that was pushing!

And again totally different to ds1!

Biscuitsandtinsel Wed 05-Dec-12 17:56:39

And nothing, nada, zip prior to waters breaking!

cakes82 Wed 05-Dec-12 18:12:16

Congratulations Smeg

Does 21hrs34min labour fit, although that was from very start of cx to arrival of DD

Biscuitsandtinsel Wed 05-Dec-12 18:29:44

So we're getting a range...

I seem to recall Scarlet had a long labour?

musicalmrs Wed 05-Dec-12 19:46:33

Mine was about 12hrs. It should have been nearer 8 butIz got a bit stuck!

Is it a bit mad that I'm actually looking forward to potentially doing it again?!

I seem to have inhaled a ridiculous amount of chocolate today...

Hawthers, love your Christmassy nibble idea! May have to pinch it :-)

This thread is not accepting new messages.