Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

December 2011 - they'll soon be one, put away the <haddocks> and bring out the bunting!

(997 Posts)
seven77 Sat 03-Nov-12 09:38:45

I loved kate's thread name but thought we needed a birthday theme for this one. We'll soon have 6 weeks of birthdays to celebrate!

Figgy Sky will be on Nutramigen AA formula for the next year or so. However, when Darcie turned 1 I put her on moo juice and she has always had multi-vitamins. Upto you but I wouldn't buy follow on milk. Either switch to moo juice or stick to the formula Figgyboy Is on now.

jigglebum Thu 13-Dec-12 13:07:33

figgy when DS was small and constantly ill (and Freya is following in his footsteps) I was advised to keep him on formula due to the added vitamins in it. I used a mixture of cows milk and follow on formula from one. I am not sure if it helped at all as he was still always ill but heh! I am going to do the same with Freya - she has formula am and before bed (and when she wakes at night so its easy to store) but if she wants a drink in the day eg her 3 o clock milk is now cows milk from her tommee tippee beaker (not that she is very impressed with the cows milk!) I will probably stick with this till the summer when they are generally less ill.

Must buy some more vitamins to try and combat all this illness in my family.

Freya has slept for over 2 hours - wow - have got lots done (well quite a bit anyway!)

jigglebum Thu 13-Dec-12 13:08:34

In fact DSM is right I think I just used the same formula as before as didnt want to change what he liked so will stick with that.

Nope, won't be home tonight. Temp just spiked back up to 39 and they want to keep her on IV for another night.

XiaoxiongMerrilyOnHigh Thu 13-Dec-12 15:11:55

Oh (((missree))) - thinking of you and Freya.

Aethelfleda Thu 13-Dec-12 16:22:08

Ooh, lost the thread due to some sort of hide button...

Glad Freya is improving a bit misree but shame about the prolongued stay. Still at least she's responding to treatment. Are you feeling any better yourself my dear?

I've always been lazy about vitamins: took them while pregnant and BFing but never got "into" them at other times apart from the odd cod liver oil capsule (good for the mummy joints!) sounds like a good idea for the more motivated of us. I am amused though, by the idea of "watching a childs immune system dip"... Presumably the mum in question hires out her x-ray vision to the local hospital on free days?
(ahem. Being sarcastic. I'm sure she meant they got more colds and was extrapolating. It's surprising how many people bandy about the phrase "low immunity" when anyone who REALLY has low immunity knows it's a whole different ballgame).

In other news, my poor DS has lost his voice to a series of (amusing but plaintive) croaks and whistles. Mustn't laugh <bad mummy>

OiMissus Thu 13-Dec-12 17:50:37

Big hugs missree and Freya. You're in the best place. Am so glad you persevered and got her checked out again.
dsm glad you solved the intolerance issue and now know what you're dealing with.
Jumper woe sympathies northern, that does not sound like a great day!
I have had a bad day today, but only because, once more, I had a hangover. Too much Vhristmas market Gluhwein last night meant that today was not very productive...
But on a positive note I did sleep for the whole of the plane journey home!
Am on the train now. grin
That was the last trip of the year. No more nights away from BOi, and I have a few days holiday to take too that I'll try and fit in next week somehow.
And I haven't planned any trips for January yet, so the first 2 weeks should be safely at home. Here's hoping!

Hope Freya's starting to improve again MissRee, and that you get home tomorrow. Hope you're feeling (physically) a bit better yourself, but you must be knackered.
Thinking of you all.

I bet you've had some good BOi snuggles now you're back, and hope the head's a bit better wink

I need to start getting DS onto the moo juice too figgy. I won't bother with the follow on milk, and can't be arsed probably won't bother with vitamins. I used to take them but ran out and haven't replaced...

Am going to be off for my long weekend, without internet access, so for the first time since I joined I won't even be able to keep up with the thread whilst I'm away, never mind post confused!
Work is frankly ridiculous at the moment, but have the programme on about homelessness in the background which is great at making me stop feeling sorry for myself.

SevenElvesAndAReindeer Fri 14-Dec-12 10:07:33

Oh crikey missree, I really hope Freya soon feels better (and you of course!) as is home again soon.

Eva has had horrific nappy rash for over a week now, red raw and weeping. I saw HV yesterday who said it could be fungal (yuk!) and prescribed dactarin. However since using it said rash has now spread across her thighs, and up her tummy and back. Managed to get an emergency appt with the head nurse at the surgery this morning, who said its more likely viral so we now have a mild steroid cream to try. She also has very dry cracked skin on her cheeks which I can't shift no matter what I put on it. She's been prescribed a thicker emollient than the last useless one which DH will pick up later. I'm hoping it works as HV said if not to try the dactarin on it, though I'm not sure whether it will help as it didnt work on her bum.

DS has always had vitamins, though its mostly because he won't eat vegetables.

oi glad you're at home for a while now.

Happy belated birthdays for those I've missed.

I'm doing another street collection for muscular dystrophy tomorrow. My tendonitis is playing up in my wrist again, so holding a bucket of money all day should be fun!

GaryBuseysTeeth Fri 14-Dec-12 10:20:45

Hope Freya had a peaceful night Ree.

Seven, ouch, that sounds nasty..is she very grumpy with it? Hope she gets better soon.
Good luck raising lots of money tomorrow, hope your tendonitis goes down by tomorrow.

Hurrah for being home now Oi!
Aethel, ha! It's sweet when kids have sore throats, hope he's on the mend soon.

Hope everyone has a good weekend, and all the ill ones are better.
I shall be mostly wrapping presents.

SevenElvesAndAReindeer Fri 14-Dec-12 11:17:18

Thanks gary. She has been mostly fine with it, but been more miserable in last 18 hours or so since its started spreading. How are you doing, I take it your worry about mcing again was (thankfully) uneventful. When is your scan booked for, I know you mentioned it last week.

I've wrapped up all of the adults presents, still got a load of the kids ones to wrap though. But not tonight as I have a very hot date... with the iron grin

FestiveFiggy Fri 14-Dec-12 12:58:08

seven that sounds horrible poor lo hope she feels better soon.

Its bloody horrid outside the raincover made its 2nd ever appearance. Just back from singing and swimming cheese on toast for me nap for ds then its off shopping with top priority being figgyboys birthday cake for party tomorrow. Already had first drop out for tomorrow grr.

Until ds gets up am watching its a wonderful life on sky never seen it b4 blush. I should be cleaning up b4 tomorrow the after party is here with food and adult drinks while the actual party is at local soft play, the sofa is really comfy though ............grin

AnAirOfHopeInAManger Fri 14-Dec-12 13:16:40

I have just taken Air to school and im wet thru yuk.

Im going for nap with Hope and then its hot choclate picking Air up food shopping and xmas shopping.

I have tooth ache now as well as ear infection so have dentist appointment tomoro.

Then its baking for school and putting up xmas tree.

Baa humbug!

AnAirOfHopeInAManger Fri 14-Dec-12 13:18:22

Hope Freya gets well soon xx

jigglebum Fri 14-Dec-12 13:32:26

Hope Freya is better this morning. Miserable day here too but managed to drag Freya out (confusing with two Freyas!) to finish off my christmas shopping. Am all done but need to wrap it all now. Have one more parcel to come from Amazon, which will hopefully arrive in time.

Typing this in the bathroom as freya chills out in the bath. She only had a very short sleep (1/2 hour) but woke up coughing lots and just puked up all of her lunch and milk (not that she ate much but there was plenty of puke!) She was rather disgusting and she loves her bath so just popped her in there and she is happy again. I do feel like the only week she has not been ill since September is the week she was on antibiotics!

We're home! The full urine results came back clear so they're pinning the infection on the chest. It explains the nasty "loose" cough even though they couldn't hear it on her lungs. We have a course of oral antibiotics to finish and a much brighter, happier Freya!

Thank you all for your lovely words and support. I became a bit of a sobbing mess this morning when Freya got so overtired (baaaaaaad night due to the severely handicapped girl in the bed opposide having a large poo in her bed and the resultant meltdown and screaming as they tried to clean her up) she was screaming for nearly 2 hours. The play assistant lady came in and said I looked like I needed a break and to go get coffee etc and I just broke down - I think tiredness, sickness and frustration just took over!

Am at Portsmouth Guildhall ready for my Darcie's gig. She's singing a solo tonight. #Proudmummy!

Go Darcie! Have a fabulous time - hope you've taken lots of tissues to cry into!

OiMissus Fri 14-Dec-12 18:38:10

We all need a good meltdown every so often, and I think you probably needed it most! Glad Freya's on the mend.
Go Darcie!! Proud mummy indeed!!! grin
I picked up Ali from nursery, the we did a big shop at tescos and he got his hair cut there too (our Tesco has a hair salon).

When we got home, DH was there. He'd taken the day off secretly to tidy up and get the house ready for Christmas. grinThere's still loads more to do, of course, but I'm v v impressed!

MissRee Glad Freya is home. I hope she is better really soon.

Well my Darcie is a superstar (video on FB). She sang 2 solos & backing vocals for another :-) #Veryproudmummy!

FestiveFiggy Sat 15-Dec-12 11:12:03

Not impressed Not even midday and we've had 5 drop outs for party today so we down to 9 kids I'm really sad for him which is pathetic as he's but going to know a difference

Parties r stressful

Morning all!

I have been lurking all week, but Seb has learnt to do a face melt (complete with trembling lower lip which then moves on to the most eye watering screech) when he sees my phone and I won't let him touch, so I've not had much opportunity to post.

First week at work went well. It's not rocket science, but lots of bits to remember and it sounds as though people either get it or they don't. I'm told I'm a natural. <preen> And I've not yet had to work my full hours, I've already been paid, so all in all I think it suits! Unless morning sickness kicks in in which case it will be awful

Seb has loved all the fuss this week. Mum took him to see my Gran on Mon, Tuesday we went swimming, Wed was his first full day (although 0730-1430 is not really a full day!) at the CM where he helped decorate a paper tree and most of the room with green paint and generally charmed everyone, Thu he was with my Mum again, Fri back at the CM this time making party hats for the Xmas party next week and getting glue everywhere, this morining he is with one of his cousins. I really ought to go and collect him.....

Ree I'm so pleased you're back home. And if you can't have a melt down with all that going on.....hope you're all now on the mend.

DSM Darcie is soooo cute!

figgy that is a bit poop, but look on the bright side. There should be more cake leftover.....

Think I'd probably relieved that the numbers were going down rather that up grin

Aethelfleda Sat 15-Dec-12 13:06:40

<wanders through with plate of mince pies and urn of chai latte>

AnAirOfHopeInAManger Sat 15-Dec-12 13:17:11

I think Hope is having a growth spurt yay grin

She had all her breakfast and cup of soya milk then bf and now toast and another full cup of soya milk and a pouch of baby food...

Operation fatten Hope up is underway lol

I have bought 9 - 12 month sleepsuits and they are huge on her sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now