Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

December 2011 - they'll soon be one, put away the <haddocks> and bring out the bunting!

(997 Posts)
seven77 Sat 03-Nov-12 09:38:45

I loved kate's thread name but thought we needed a birthday theme for this one. We'll soon have 6 weeks of birthdays to celebrate!

Aethelfleda Sun 02-Dec-12 09:54:52

Morning. I have a snoozing DS on my chest, this week we've dripped him down to 4 bottles a day by spacing them out with snacks/drinks, and he's been happy with it (phew!) and has doubled his food intake quite happily. Really funny when I took him to the HV (just for a weight as haven't been for five months or so , la la la) who said airily "oh, he only needs two bottles a day really if he's eating lots of dairy"... He's 21 lb but Is at that stage where they are so mobile they don't put much weight on for a while and just get longer and a bit skinnier.

Facepainted at the school fair yesterday (lots of Rudolphs!) and DDs loved it which is always nice. They were v pleased to see mr FC (I will enjoy this phase while it lasts!) and it was a little lump in throat as this may be the last fair we do at that school (sniff)...

Today we are going to see the new house so the girls can look around: still trying not to presume it's ours, as it's so unpredictable. Decluttering is happening at this end as like your DH northern we are both hoarders. dH was on strict budgeting as a child and got in the habit of never chucking anything, I was always brought up with a combo of "you never know when xx will be useful and "make-do-and-mend", and the whole eco thing of repair/reuse/recycle. Does anyone else else have a Rag bag, a bits-of-string drawer and a box full of spare screws/nails/random spare parts?

CheungFun Sun 02-Dec-12 10:31:45

Morning Aethel, lucky you getting sleepy cuddles smile I always enjoy any cuddles I can get from DS as they're few and far between...he is most definitely not a cuddly boy! I will be paying him for cuddles as soon as he's old enough to understand bribes wink

At our old flat we lived there for 10 years and had loads of shit clutter, so moving house last year was a great opportunity to get rid of stuff!

I now have one medium sized box of bits including sentimental ornaments, wedding guest book and photo frames. I also have 1 medium box of my childhood teddy bears that I cannot and will not give away, and 1 carrier bag of knitted baby hats my grandma made for me as a baby (they're pink, purple and extremely fluffy with silky ribbons...definitely not useable for DS hehehe!). I don't think that's too bad.

We have a rather large box of photo albums with nowhere to store them yet. I think once I can get a bookshelf in DS's room I can move his books in there and put the photo albums where his books are in the living room.

I was quite ruthless with clothes and gave loads to charity! I have only bought 3 tops this year, a raincoat and Wellington boots, and some new underwear. I have promised myself I will only buy what I need and most importantly what I like and what will last both in terms of quality and fashion.

I must admit, I'm finding it much easier to clean this flat as everything has a place and it's tidy, s I don't need to tidy first to clean iykwim!

My brother is a terrible hoarder, his loft is chockablock full of total rubbish and he has 3 bedrooms, 1 of which is specifically set aside for all his junk. He's got his old tv, model aeroplanes, old furniture, inflatable dinghy, old fish tank. Absolutely crazy! When we moved house, he was away at sea and Mum and I had to pack up his stuff for him and he even had an old biscuit tin full of rocks! hmm I made him promise to do a deep clean and declutter before we took DS to visit in the summer, and to his credit apart from the junk room, he did a pretty good job!

Apologies for the ultra long post, but I'm very bored this am smile

OiMissus Sun 02-Dec-12 10:35:07

Oh yes, congrats on the walking northern. smile
And yes to lots of random "useful" things in drawers. (I blame Blue Peter!)
I had BOi all to myself last night as DH was on. Stag do. An awaiting the call to go and collect him. ...he thinks we're going sorting his old house out ready to sell it. But I've just tried all my clothes on for Florida (work again) and am in a panic so I'll have to go shopping instead. grin he won't be liking that with a hangover!! [evil emoticon]

Btw I am on my phone, but thru the actual site. I updated the Talk app yesterday, and now it won't let me open the thread. sad

You're very kind to call it walking wink! It was lovely that we got that first moment, and can't wait to see him do more. I predicted he'd be walking by Xmas so it looks like he's on track.

I had my quarterly bollocking of DP this morning. Generally it reaches a point where I can't cope with his untidiness any more and I let him know it- not by shouting, but just by pointing out that he can't act like this any more, and that, y'know, DS grabbing a screwdriver that DP had left on the floor, and me having to prepare DS's food next to a baking tray full of blood from last night's roast IS. NOT. ON.

I think I'm partnered up with your brother Cheung, that sounds exactly like DP's pit of hell computer room!!
Amazingly, DP is a lot better than he used to be, and is far, far better on the housework side- it's just he's grown up with his mother (and Dad in some respects) rushing round and clearing up all his shit, so he never learned. It's so true aethel, about these habits that get ingrained at childhood and never leave, though your's and your DP's are far better than my DP's!

I am calmer now and and in a better position to barter re. the damn shirts... wink

Hope your DD improves muffin, and know what you mean about the weight- I end up taking painkillers each weekend for my back because of my beloved lump child....

MerryChristMoose Sun 02-Dec-12 15:01:56

Afternoon all. I'm having a long hot bath whilst DH takes Harrison grocery shopping - bliss!

DHs employer held the children's Christmas parties yesterday. 3200 people across three parties. Chaos! A present for every child. Harrison got a cute little Playskool ball and gears centre. The activities were obviously aimed at older children but it will be fun to have it to look forward to each year.

We're having a play date on the 11th as a pre Christmas/birthday thing birthday on the 27th). Mini cupcakes for 18 toddlers anyone?

What have I let myself in for ......

Figgygal Sun 02-Dec-12 15:17:30

Muppets Christmas carol is my absolute favourite Xmas film it's just come on film 4 DS is being made to suffer through it grin he WILL love it!! I've already bought it on DVD for him this year

moose Xmas party sounds cool my works kids Xmas party is next Saturday 2-5 but have a 1st bday party 1-3 and can't do both such a shame as they have a soft play, bouncy castle, kids entertainers, balloons and of course Santa and gifts but there's always next year

Sorry ladies. I updated my talk app on my iPhone and it keeps crashing hmm

Not much to report except Xmas tree is up and we've been watching Xmas movies all day. Watching Miracle on 34th Street, one of my favourite Xmas movies grin

SevenElvesAndAReindeer Sun 02-Dec-12 18:10:20

I only ever use the main website on my phone, I haven't tried the app but I hate the mobile site.

DH isn't a hoarder of everything but he's a nightmare for keeping anything DIY related in case it comes in useful. We have a good collection of old plugs, and the random extra screws that come with flat pack furniture. The worst habit we both have is cluttering up the dining room table. We always use the back door as it goes through the utility room, the first thing you come to in the house is the dining room table so things tend to get dumped there, which drives me mad.

AnAirOfHopeForSnow Sun 02-Dec-12 18:46:13

Norad is up and running. I showed Aaron and he complained as there is only two games so far - I had a hard time explaining why lol

Hope can stand up on her own but is not bothered about walking. She has taken two steps on her own but is just not intrested in repeating it.

Im still feeling low sad

Figgygal Sun 02-Dec-12 19:33:26

I'm not going to update my app then since dsm and oi both have problems.

DS walks between dh and I but that's it I think he'll be fully on his feet by Xmas though.

Took him out on his trike today we did a long loop around the local streets which was just as well as got practically back to the house and a lady I've never seen before started waving at me in the distance turned out she had found 1 of DS 2 day old shoes which had fallen off without me noticing so glad I went back that way!!! £24 for two days worth of shoes would have rendered me very unpopular with dh.

Have to do an hour long presentation tomorrow to 45 people ....wibble confused

CheungFun Mon 03-Dec-12 10:49:38

Morning everyone,

I'm definitely having another boring morning! I shouldn't complain really though as it could be worse grin

DS has just eaten a lump of mud that must have been dragged in with our shoes. He looked quite disgusted so hopefully that will be the first and last time!

Figgy thank goodness that lady saw you again to return the shoe! Hope the presentation goes well today.

Air hope you're feeling better today?

BJR Mon 03-Dec-12 10:52:48

Just had DS's hospital appointment and they diagnosed cow's milk protein, lactose and soya intolerance but said he should grow out of it by 4. They also said the other foods that he reacts to is common which made me feel better as I thought I was going mad with all the things I thought he was reacting to. Have prescribed a different milk and will see him a couple of times a year untill he outgrows it.

Hmm seems to be quite a few horders on the thread, both DP and I are terrible especially for keeping clothes. We are gradually throwing away more and more though as it started to get a bit ridiculous.

Moose 18 toddlers sounds like a challange especially if it involves cake grin DP and I would like to move to Canada in the next few years. He's currently working on his chartership which should make him alot more employable, it may not ever happen but something thats getting talked about a lot at the moment anyway.

OiMissus Mon 03-Dec-12 11:45:18

Figgy - the same thing happened to me with the shoes - brand new, out first time, I noticed after about an hour's walk and had to retrace my steps -it was on the floor at the top of our street. Doh!
And ditto with the presentation too. Good luck with yours. Mine is only half an hour, but in front of 100 people (on Friday), so I guess we even up. Wibble-tastic.
I'll send a message to the powers that be at MN about the new iphone talk app update. is v annoying.

I had a revelation this morning. Chris Evans said that he goes to the gym at 4 am, before work, and it sets him up for the day. I thought, I could do that. I could set out at 6 instead of 6:45, and I could be fit again. But then my brain warmed up and I remembered that this would mean dropping off Boi at that time too, and that's impossible. Doh!
Unless we buy a car for DH, and find a childminder instead of the nursery, then he could do the drop offs. (that's rather an expensive gym membership, n'est-ce pas?)
Still in a panic about clothes for Orlando and said presentation/meeting. Didn't find anything yesterday. I was going to bunk off early today, but I have left my purse at home. Doh again! (no shoppi, and no bloody lunch either!)

SevenElvesAndAReindeer Mon 03-Dec-12 14:52:24

Oh dear oi. I remember I used to be organised pre-DCs too!

The last of the Christmas presents arrived today, DS and I made potato print present labels and I've booked a tesco delivery for 23rd December, so I'm now feeling quite organised for Christmas. I've just got a million presents to wrap now! How is everyone else doing? I'm glad I caught the postman this morning though, he tried leaving a you were out card and didnt even knock or ring the doorbell. Thankfully I was in the bathroom so I saw him through the window walking back to the van with the parcel and caught him before he drove off!

Our new bed arrives on Thursday, can't wait!

Afternoon.

Been shopping in Southampton with MIL this morning finished DH xmas present and picked up a few other bits n bobs. Home in the warm now and must get wrapping.

LittleMissFlustered Mon 03-Dec-12 17:58:47

I am fed up of hearing about the royal fecking baby already. Can someone please break the press? Thankee!

Aethelfleda Mon 03-Dec-12 18:00:19

<wanders through with tray full of coffee and paper chains, mumbling darkly about house paperwork and how NOTHING seems to move quickly>

KateKringle Mon 03-Dec-12 20:14:41

Hello all. It's been a busy few days here:

Went up and looked after FIL for a few days, he's doing really well, so all good there.
Took the direct approach to discussing a vasectomy with DH and thankfully he was fine about it. We've decided to try the coil initially with the aim of using that for a few years, and then go for a vasectomy after that when we're absolutely certain we don't want any more children. We don't want any more, but when faced with something that final there's always a niggling doubt!
Got Christmas trees and decorated them and the house yesterday. Feeling festive now smile
Fridge / freezer broke yesterday. Tumble dryer broke a couple of weeks ago sad

I don't know if you remember when won our deposit back from landlord in a court case in Sept? Well, the landlord didn't pay and asked the court to set aside the judgement. The hearing for that was today, and the judge ruled that the landlord couldn't have the judgement set aside and upheld the original decision in Sept grin. Now to see if she actually pays this time.

In terms of Christmas preparedness, I've nearly finished my shopping, but still have all my cards to write and all my presents to wrap. Oh, and need to wrap DS' birthday presents too. Got a couple of weeks though, so it's all under control.

I'm so glad someone's in the same boat as me Cheung, DS will not be cuddled. In fact, I worry when he will sit on me and have a snuggle as the only time he's really done it was when he was ill! I did get a bit of a snuggle last night before bed and called DP to see the miracle...sigh...

And another thing- sat down to buy a Christmas pudding outfit for DS and they're ALL GONE! All of them! Can't even find a hat and mitts that would fit! Who the hell has snuck out and hoovered them all up? Am so disappointed, and don't fancy any of the other costumes sad

Sorry you're still feeling low air, is Christmas a factor?

And that's great news (in a way) BJR, as least you've got an answer to it all, even if said answer is a comprehensive allergy to food and milk! Hope the new milk works.

You have my sympathy Kate, we had the shower block up, the car need repairing (twice) and the dishwasher break down all the space of a fortnight, it sucks. Really hope you get the deposit money - they are such bastards with that- and then can spend it on....white goods confused! Such is the joys of being a grown up...

I'm now going to decorate the tree, we ran out of time and I've saved it up as a treat grin

mopsytop Mon 03-Dec-12 22:14:56

Hi all, in full on writing up mode so although I'll try and keep up with the thread, I'll just be in lurking mode. Chapters 1, 2 and 3 redrafted so far, seeing supervisor tomo, hope she thinks they're ok and only need minor revisions, third major draft of all of them so feel like I can't face another... 3 more chapters to redraft, conclusions to write, intro to redraft and then all the other crap, front matter, references, appendices, page numbers etc etc. Ugh. <dives back in, waves goodbye for a few weeks of little sleep and stress>

CheungFun Mon 03-Dec-12 22:27:57

Oh dear....I think we have a teething baby in the house! Lots of drooling today at playgroup, generally grumpiness and couldnt settle to sleep until 9.30pm. DS is now dosed up with calpol and bonjela on his gums, so fingers crossed! A bit of a pain as we've got his review with the HV tomorrow and we need to leave home at 8.30am to catch the bus...

BJR that's good news that your DS should grow out of the allergies. Hopefully now you know what he definitely can't have it will make life a bit easier, although it is going to be tricky as a lot of processed food seems to contain soya.

Oi It would be a great plan to get up extra early for the gym, but I love my sleep too much grin hope the Florida trip goes well! If you haven't met the people before then your clothes will look new to them as they haven't seen the clothes before (or that's what my DM says to reassure me!).

Seven that is super organised!! I've bought all of the upcoming birthday presents and Christmas presents and wrapped them up. Christmas cards are written. All I need to do is post a couple of parcels, buy some stamps and put up the decorations. Christmas food shopping is a shared chore, DH and I usually go at 10pm a few days before to avoid the crowds!

BJR Tue 04-Dec-12 10:39:43

Long night sad DS had an allergic reaction to the antibiotics he'd been given. Luckily we have a great out of hours doctor service and they were able to see him really quickly. Have to keep an eye on him for 24 hours and take him back if any thing seems worse.

And he still has tonsilitis too, poor little thing. I feel drained, cross at DP as he only told me this morning that he is allergic to the same antibioltics, he didn't think to mention it before now.

SevenElvesAndAReindeer Tue 04-Dec-12 10:45:45

cheung it doesn't sound like I'm as organised as you, I've still got all of ours to wrap. I'm only organised with the food shopping as I hate doing it at Christmas! I don't drive and DH is only off Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. There is no way I'm setting foot in a supermarket on Christmas Eve!

BJR great that you have a definite diagnosis. Did they say he'll definitely outgrow it by 4 or is it just likely? Did they say how often you should try giving them to him so you know when he's outgrown it? I tried Eva on a buttered crumpet yesterday, the first she's had since 8 months. All fine at the moment, if it plays her up like before she'll be grizzly by lunchtime then screaming by 3.

mopsy hope they're happy with it this time, good luck!

SevenElvesAndAReindeer Tue 04-Dec-12 10:46:56

X-post. Sorry to hear that about DS, hope he's better soon.

XiaoxiongMerrilyOnHigh Tue 04-Dec-12 10:51:59

No christmas presents bought. No cards written. No tree bought.

We're singing lots of carols though - my one contribution to Christmas so far. And my seasonal namechange <twirl>

I got my hair cut and coloured last night. LOVE the cut. But I let my mother tell the stylist what to do and I have ended up SO blonde - it's a real shock and I don't like it sad Everyone says they love it but it still looks madly blonde...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now