Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

September 2012 babies - warmest welcome!

(997 Posts)
Macaroons Fri 14-Sep-12 21:50:28

Here's the new thread for September babies fresh from the oven!

I'm a first time mum and I'm struggling with breast feeding at the moment, my 6-day old DS always seems to be hungry (a feed every 2-3 hours, each lasting roughly an hour), and when he's hungry he's very aggressive towards my nipple sad it really hurts! Any tips out there? And how often do you feed your baby and for how long?  how do you teach your baby to be gentle on the nipples? envy

Good luck to those still waiting for their babies to come out! Will be watching out for more baby news!

ThedementedPenguin Thu 21-Feb-13 23:21:58

We got a deal through groupon, a bed and breakfast for £25. In total for the whole time it was very expensive but we went to Guinness storehouse, the zoo, did a small amount of shopping and got very drunk smile was great but we didn't take ds, and I relunctingly (sp?) left him with my Dps mum and his smallish routine is destroyed. She rocked him to sleep for hours both days and he refuses to sleep today without it. So I told Dp it won't be happening again. I don't mind going away again but ds won't be with his parents again.

Only downside I got very drunk and cried because Herbie wasn't there. I can only imagine how Dp expected the night to go but cuddling his hysterical crying gf was not it.

I tried Herbie with baby rice today, he spat it all out at me and then smeared it all over his face. He enjoyed mucking and spitting it out but was in no way fussed on the rice or the breakfast cereal stuff. So I'm going to put it off for another couple of weeks. Even though everyone in my family seems to know my son better than me hmm

I think I'll do what loopy suggests and buy the Ella pouches as they where on a very good offer here and I could buy a good amount.

cjbk1 Fri 22-Feb-13 08:26:29

can I just warn you about 'Plum' pouches; very similar to 'Ella's' dh tried Ava with one and it stained his (dark) suit even after three washes plus vanish liquid he's bought a new one now x

leelteloo Fri 22-Feb-13 09:27:39

Yes I know what you mean Cjbk, all first stage food seems to stain so badly. I've been to Home Bargains (my fav shop) and bought 6 long sleeved dark blue bibs, very cheap and cover ds completely. Intend just to let them be totally stained and then bin them.
Re ds being super happy; think it must just be the universe balancing itself because dd was a very 'challenging' baby; non stop crying due to colic, never slept at night and generally hard work. Yawning just thinking about it.

Loopyhasanotherbean Fri 22-Feb-13 14:47:46

Re stains, we have baby Bjorn smocks, bit pricy but they really do protect a child's clothing, and machine washable and DS will soon be 28 months and still fit him fine and wearing very well, so ds2 will wear one too. Started weaning him on Wednesday when he was 24 weeks and so far so good, just apple purée to start with (apples apples apples from Ella) then will move onto other ones 3 days on each, then the fruit/rice ones, then the veggie and frui combos, by which stage should be onto three meals a day so will introduce the brekkie ones too.

£25 is brilliant for a b&b down there! It's the going out and drinking costs a fortune. Aww bless ya getting all emotional about being away from herbie.That's the one thing I'm worried about. Her dad has never had her at night but I've been telling him to get a cot organised so he can and I found out today he sings and rocks her to sleep during the day. I'm of they have to self-settle kinda girl and if he makes my life harder it will be a nightmare.

leelteloo ds was a colicky baby too!! If there's such a thing as karma I was a bad person in a previous life. My mum would tell you it's comumpance. I love home bargains. Even beter that my sis works there and tells me all the stuff on offer smile

Macaroons Fri 22-Feb-13 23:01:39

I have been making my own purees and it's easier than you thought! You just boil or steam the apples / pears / butternut squash and use a stick blender to make puree, you can make a batch each time and store them in little pots, stick them in the freezer and defrost when needed. Not much cooking skill is required and it'd be much cheaper than those pouches. for example a bag of frozen butternut squash is less than 2 quid and I made 8 portions out from that!

leelteloo Sun 24-Feb-13 21:21:11

Anyone else experiencing a sleep regression? Ds used to go down beautifully after his bath at about 7pm : he is now a full on pest most of the evening. He just won't settle even though he is exhausted. He is waking all night too; not to feed just grizzling. Yawn and double yawn. It's his teeth I think so not much hope in it getting any better anytime soon. Hope you are all getting more zzzzzzzz

cjbk1 Mon 25-Feb-13 19:55:33

bub's been crying like there's actually something wrong/hurting today hmm
she's had a bit of a cold for 2wk now but the pharmacist said that if she's not got a temperature and is feeding ok then she doesn't need to see the GP but today she's absolutely beside herself and of course won't sleep...dd1's got a cough now too and ds was upset coz bub's ill so I'm going to sneak off to bed in a min so I can at least sleep while dh looks after her he came home from work early and I had help from PILs so I can't moan too much lol x wink

Your poor DD cjbk1, hope it all gets better soon. My DD has an ear infection I think - originally I thought the ear pulling was teething related but now her ear smells, poor poppet. And I'm cross as the earliest I could get a GP to see her is Friday this week - booked last week. They've refused to see her sooner.

On the plus side I got her weighed at baby clinic and she's now 16lb so more or less on the 50th centile, up from 2nd when she was born! She's going great guns. Annoying my Mum keeps going on about her being fat. WTF?!

Leelteloo - oh no! DD had a bad sleep regression at 4 months which she is mostly over now (co-sleeping issues aside). Wine and this too shall pass? Hope you get some proper sleep before long.

leelteloo Tue 26-Feb-13 17:26:50

Hey Nightmare, how are things? Been worried about you hmm. And sorry to hear about eat infection; gps seem reluctant to give antibiotics for them these days but my dd was left without them and ended up in hospital twice; she struggled with ear infections when she was a baby.
Ds seems back to his old happy self, we've had a lovely day and last night he did 7 till 7 no milk for the first time ever. Reckon he tired himself out with all the previous grizzling.
Cjbk hope your LO is feeling better.

leelteloo Tue 26-Feb-13 17:27:33

Eat infection... Really? Ear obviously.

Thanks for asking leelteloo - I'm back at home now, I felt a bit confused to be updating my original thread as I knew everyone would say I was stupid for going back. DD & I are fine though, we had to leave DParents as DF was very poorly & I had a flare up of my health condition.

leelteloo Tue 26-Feb-13 19:54:53

Hey nightmare,I'm just glad your ok. I feel the same about ever posting about my dh because if I expressed what really goes on, I know I'd get pressure to leave. I tried leaving when ds was a week old and being separated was harder than being in this rubbish relationship. You just gotta do what you need to do for you.

Oh no, these poorly babies. I hope they recover soon.

Leelteloo I think DD is having a sleep regression. We had a few lovely weeks of 7pm bedtime, then I could jump in the shower, tidy up, then get to bed at a reasonable hour.
Now, bed at 7pm, she can't last any longer, attempt to get her to sleep and stay asleep, scream the whole time I'm in the shower then not let me leave her side till morning. So if I want a shower I have to go up and stay upstairs from 7pm. Great.
She's still awake now. After a screaming fit while I was downstairs talking to DP about something important that couldn't waiting till morning.

I'm afraid I cheat a little on the sleeping thing - I don't do a 'proper' bedtime, just take her up when she's drowsy usually between 9.30-10.30 and she then sleeps until 8am at the moment (although she does come into my bed at some point). And on the shower WhereAreMyShoes I just go in in the morning but take DD with me, pop her in a bouncy chair, give her a rubber duck to play with and chat and sing to her whilst I'm in - would that work for you?

cjbk1 Wed 27-Feb-13 18:37:37

thanks ladies Ava seems a bit better now but she's definitely 'finished for the day' now we they all are x

I could do Nightmare but I've still got DS to entertain, although he will happily sit at the table and do scribbling all over my tablecloth colouring for half an hour.
Really, should get up before they wake and have a shower then. They don't get up till half 8 most mornings, I'm just being lazy.

I had an email from my boss today. She's going to pop round soon to discuss going back, keep in touch days etc. I'm hoping I don't have to go back as DP is about to be interviewed for joining the army. But if I do I'm going to see if I can work from home. I can't see it being a problem, but we'll see.

I'll be making my own purees too Macaroons I freeze them in ice cube trays then store them in labelled bags. Have actually started alreday even though I haven't started weaning yet. Trying to get a bit ahead of myself.

Dd is grizzly throughout the night too leelteloo and for a baby that always slept until about 7-8am she has started wanting up at 5.30am. Of course I have my mum telling me to start her on real food but the thing is she's not hungry when she gets up and will only take a 3-4oz bottle. Her milk intake has dropped considerably the last couple of days. I'm assuming teething as she seems well in herself. Debating whether to try giving her a drop of calpol today and see if she'll take a bit more milk. I know how painful my mouth was a couple of weeks back when my wisdom tooth was coming down and I couldn't eat for a few days.

Do we have any little ones with teeth yet??

Result is I'm totally shattered. Said to dd's dad more than a month ago to get a cot sorted (why he hadn't already I'll never know). Last week he was complaining he hadn't spent any of his wages so leant his friend a couple of hundred quid and on further investigation he hasn't bought her a mattress. He's meant to get one at the end of this week as he's paid weekly but can't see it as he's been off sick all week. Seems to be he is putting it off for all his talk of wanting her overnight. Suppose it would interfere with his social life and new girlfriend grin

Hope your dd is feeling better Nightmare. Ear infections are agony, your poor dd.

Good luck to your dp on his interview wherearemyshoes

I have to say I have turned a corner with dd, even though her sleep is regressing, I'm really enjoying her now she is becoming her own little person. She's a lot of fun and I'm happier in myself as I've started exercise classes and the gym on the odd hour I get to myself.

Well DD definitely has an ear infection & has antibiotic drops and calpol from the doctor. Unfortunately the drops make her ear smell worse so carrying her in the sling is not a pleasant experience at the moment! Oh well, hopefully she'll soon be better.

Sorry WhereAreMyShoes - I lose track of who has older children!

Rachel did you ever get the results of your colposcopy?? I've just had a letter saying I've minor abnormalities and have to go for one. Feel a bit sick tbh as I had my smear a month ago and expected the letter to say there was nothing there, like last time. Rationally I know my last one was three years ago and it was fine and it says 'minor' and not 'moderate/severe' but been a bit tearful because I'm worried. Something happening to me is a big fear of mine because of the two kids and the fact I raise them mostly by myself.

Damn it, I had been feeling so happy and sorted the last couple of weeks.

ThedementedPenguin Mon 04-Mar-13 12:22:36

Hey everyone, I've just caught up. So I will apologise now if I miss out a response to someone. As there was just so much.

So Herbie has gone off the milk as well, very rosy cheeks so I'm assuming teething too, however my little cousin has chicken pox and we were up at their house the day before spots came out so we are in wait.

nightmare I hope your dds ear infection clears up soon.

To who ever said about the sleep regression I second that, Herbie has been staying up later and getting up earlier. I am so not a morning person so it is a major shock to the system. I actually think I wouldn't be as bad if he slept through but I'm still up 2-3 times a night. So it's an early night for me tonight. Is anyone else still getting up at night.

I plan to do my own puree, although I did buy 2 small Ella pouches. As I had vouchers so I will use them then do my own.

shoeprincess2 Mon 04-Mar-13 15:25:53

Ballroom- Please do not worry. Easier said than done, I know. I think when kids come along, you do start worrying about your health even more. I know I am a complete worry wart. I had a colposcopy in my early twenties. I was absolutely beside myself when I got the letter to say I had to go for one. I had visions of never being able to have kids etc. The colposcopy showed nothing- the minor changes after my smear must have rectified themselves. I had to then have annual smears for 10 years and am now back on 3 yearly ones. Even if the colposcopy throws up something, it's early, you are in the system and they will do what they need to do (laser off/ go back for a 6 monthly check). Have they given you a date?

Rachel- was everything ok with your colposcopy?

That's so true, shoeprincess you become so aware of your own health and worry about it more since you have kids. Thank you, I know I would tell someone not to worry about it too but as you know it's different when the letter arrives for yourself grin. I'm glad yours turned out to be nothing. Fingers crossed mine will be the same.

I think what freaked me out was the pamphlet sent with it stated that mild is a repeat smear and moderate/severe is a colposcopy so I was wondering why mine was marked 'minor abnormalities' but I was to go to the hospital. Spoke to the nurse and she said my report says mild but they called for a referral so that's why I've been sent. I should get a date within the next four weeks. I'm looking on the positive side that I'm glad I went for my smear when I did and if some cells are awry hopefully they will be caught early. Nurse said I will probably have to go for yearly checks after it now but I don't mind. At least it will be kept a close eye on.

Such a banging headache after having myself up to high doe all day. Would have a glass or three of wine rightly only ds isn't well with his chest so I'm on standby incase we have to run him to hospital.

shoeprincess2 Mon 04-Mar-13 16:32:21

It is so common nowadays. I remember when I got the letter, I was in bits. The GP knew that I was a worrier, so he actually asked me to come into the surgery to explain everything. I can't remember much of what he said, but I did feel better. When I told my colleagues at work, 3 out of the 4 ladies on my bank of desks said "yes, I had one of those". I thought I was the only one! I know what you mean a bout headaches- i remember last year whilst I waited to have my amnio, I had a 3 week headache. The worrying did me no good whatsoever. So, when you can have a glass of wine, do have one. Maybe try listening to some relaxation music and try not to worry. Keep posting on this thread too, as I find it helps to talk with others smile

ThedementedPenguin Mon 04-Mar-13 19:28:32

Oh ballroom I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier.

I haven't actually heard anything back from mine, I had a biopsy taken at my appointment, I've rang my clinic loads of times and they keep saying no results yet, when I ask if they can chase it up they said they will. Then I ring again and same story. So I'm no help.

I panicked quite a bit after I got my letter, but I'm okay now, I'm kinda thinking if it was really that bad I'd have the results by now.

Would it be okay if I rang for an appointment in regards to this, as its nearly 3 months or should I just keep ringing.?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now