Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

September 2012 babies - warmest welcome!

(997 Posts)
Macaroons Fri 14-Sep-12 21:50:28

Here's the new thread for September babies fresh from the oven!

I'm a first time mum and I'm struggling with breast feeding at the moment, my 6-day old DS always seems to be hungry (a feed every 2-3 hours, each lasting roughly an hour), and when he's hungry he's very aggressive towards my nipple sad it really hurts! Any tips out there? And how often do you feed your baby and for how long?  how do you teach your baby to be gentle on the nipples? envy

Good luck to those still waiting for their babies to come out! Will be watching out for more baby news!

Moominmamma86 Mon 11-Feb-13 17:37:35

Thanks NightmareWalking. I will give metanium a try.

ThedementedPenguin Mon 11-Feb-13 23:41:41

Thanks for the tip on metanium, I am also going to give it a try.

I think Herbie is teething really really badly. We had such a bad night last night, lots of tears, ear pulling, cheeks are red, bum is very red and sore looking, refusing milk again. Oh the joys. Could only get him to sleep in bed with us so he slept brilliantly while we tossed and turned all night.

moominmamma I hope your lo is feeling better soon.

Okay so re: valentines gift I had another look and it doesn't seem too bad. I could only look at tiny picture but if its the right one then its black and the bra didn't look too bad, the thong on the other hand hmm maybe I just need to suck it up.

I bought myself a second hand Icandy apple tonight for £30, although it is huge looking but maybe that's because I'm so small.

I haven't thought much more about having another baby I'm just going to see how I feel. Although I do want to say that in my family there's 6 of us the oldest is 25 the youngest is 16 and we all get on great, we had our moments growing up but we are all very close.

My auntie has 7 oldest is 11 and the youngest is 4 months. They mostly get on great. Think I need more time to think it through.

cjbk1 Tue 12-Feb-13 10:04:38

I'm sure Ava's been trying to give us kisses recently; she kind of touches our cheeks with her mouth (without trying to latch on like they do) then smiles hugely, she's also had three nights good sleep I'm risking jinxing it because I want to praise her xgrin

shoeprincess2 Tue 12-Feb-13 10:57:06

Hiya ladies! Good news on the heart murmur front. Ollie bronchiolitis is clearing up and when the GP checked his heart, it was beating normally. It is interesting to note that a chest illness can cause these heart murmurs. Probably means that every chil at one stage or another will have a rogue murmur. Ol has regressed in his sleeping. He is ok until about 2am, and then he is awake every hour. I bring him into bed for boob and then he just goes asleep. I think it is his clingy stage kicking in. I have now not had a decent night's sleep since July 2012!!! I am stalking Boots for decent light reflecting eye concealers smile. cjbk1- what's the secret for a good night's sleep. Can Ava come round and teach Ol please?

Oh good news shoeprincess - that must be such a relief! I hear you on the tiredness - DD is coming into our bed every night in a desperate attempt to get any sleep.

cjbk1 Kerenza tries to do that too bit usually gets sidetracked into licking you - blee. Although the other day I thought she was going for a kiss and latch onto my cheek with such ferocity she left a bruise!

cjbk1 Thu 14-Feb-13 09:02:46

happy valentines day to you all envy
re; kissing; we do get some licking and latching on too lol but she's still started a bit earlier than the others
she's been coldy all week now and visibly snotty so we'll have to miss baby yoga today I think
We're still struggling with dd1 at school and we them over-punishing her and having wet accidents because of this sad ......
there may be some good career news but I don't wanna jinx it
X

DD quite likes a good slobber on my face!

I took her to the health visitor's clinic last week as I was expecting a call from them in December instead of the three month visit but not heard from them.
Anyway, she was last weighed at 20 days and was between 50th and 75th centile.
I weighed her last week at 20weeks and she was 6.5kg and I've been happy with her feeding etc.
The young lady plotted the graph for me and told me she's now on 9th centile. The HV had a look and told me to top her up after every feed and return in 2 weeks. She insinuated my supply might be rubbish or I'm not feeding her enough.
I was a bit miffed really and slightly worried that I hadn't noticed anything wrong. When I looked myself when I got home she'd plotted it wrong on the graph and is in fact on 50th centile. hmm

Needless to say I won't very going back there in a hurry.

Oh, and <whispers> good luck cjbk1

Macaroons Fri 15-Feb-13 12:13:32

Haven't posted for a while, hope all is well! Can't believe out babies are around 5 months old now! Time flies!

Re kisses I'm not sure DS knows what kisses are all about yet but when I kiss him and then put his mouth by my cheek, he touches me and then a big smile smile

Cjbk - would like tips on good night sleep too! DS used to sleep till 5ish but now starts waking at 4ish. Or even 3 on some days. What's going on... Good luck on the jobs front smile

Wherearemyshoes - how can they not double check and use common sense when looking at the baby, before telling you off for not feeding properly?

Shoeprincess - pleased to hear the good news on the heart murmur front!

Have started feeding DS baby rice as DS always seems to be hungry (although hv said wait till 6months) and DS seems to be loving it. Will try apple purée next!

Penguin - hope herbies teething pain will get better soon!

Loopyhasanotherbean Fri 15-Feb-13 15:29:09

Just wondering how poos are with your babies? Ds2 is EBF and was doing one every 10-14days, which was fine. However Monday he did 4, can't remember re tues/we'd but he did at least 3 yesterday. And has done 3 today. Ds1 only pooed every 6-7 days and didn't poo more frequently until we started him on solids. Ds2 is not on solids yet and v puzzled as to where the polis suddenly coming from?!!!

Macaroons Fri 15-Feb-13 18:29:18

Loopy baby mac is also EBF and poos roughly every week. Longest "record" is 12 days...although sometimes he does it every 2-3 days. Varies a lot, strangely!

I've started him on solids since Tuesday, starting with teaspoons of baby rice. He hasn't pooed yet, should I be worried?

That's brilliant news shoeprincess . I don't know the circumstances surrounding it but I do know my dad had a heart murmur when he was a baby for a while and was fine after.

Aww good luck cjbk . What age is your older dd? God love her, what do you mean they are over-punishing her? I know when ds is unsettled or sick that's one of the first signs is the wet accidents (he's 5yo).

It's strange seeing all the baby's that wake up during the night as she's out for the count all night 99% of nights, unlike what ds was, but I have the opposite problem in that she refuses to sleep during the day! She's a grumpy, screaming mare all day long and I can get nothing done. She's so hard to listen to as nothing pleases her. Unless we are are out then she's an angel and everyone wonders what I'm talking about?

ThedementedPenguin Fri 15-Feb-13 23:51:05

cjbk good luck on the job front, hopefully things fall into place soon.

shoeprincess as far as I remember I had a heart murmur when I was younger but not any more but I am glad the all clear was given and it is actually very interesting to know that thus can happen. I hope to remember this if I ever need to.

whereare it can be very frustrating when they plot things wrong. They did this with Herbies 16ish week check but it was only his height so I didn't complain. I know here, I was told they usually come out between 6-9 months but they are so under staffed at the moment that they don't have the time so are expecting people to come in.

Re: kisses. Herbie also does the sucking, licking thing but he also smacks his lips which kind of sounds like kisses then smiles at you. It's amazing how cute they can be.

I think I might try Herbie on a spoon feed, he has been off his bottles all week, the most he has took is 26oz but can go right down to 14oz. He is happy in himself. I haven't fully decided. I might talk to hv on Monday and see what she says.

Ill not comment on poo front as ds is ff so I can't really help there smile

Since moving Herbie into his room he seems to be able to do a longer stretch between his bottles but he has started to waken up loads during the night wanting his dummy put back in or for a cuddle. I just want to sleep all night.

We are heading away tues-Wed for a night just Dp and me. I can't wait to sleep and have a lie in. Crazy how things in life changes and when you get excited about something it's something you never thought it would be.

Hi all,

Not been on this thread in a while!

DD (22 weeks today) is doing really well. She has upped her daytime milk so can go through from 7pm-7am now with just a dream feed before we go to bed. We've also started giving her some baby rice and fruit puree twice a day which sometimes she wolves down and other times she isn't fussed. So now her routine is:

Wake 7am: Starts 8oz bottle but not that fussed first thing
9am: Finishes bottle and then goes down for long nap
11am: Wakes from nap
Midday: Baby rice with some puree, or porridge (about 10 spoons)
1.30pm: 8oz bottle and nap
2.30pm: wakes from nap
4pm: Some more spoonfuls of solids
5pm: 7oz bottle and a short nap
5.30pm: wakes from nap
7.30pm: 7-8oz and then bed
11pm: Dreamfeed - 6-7oz

She is tiny though, was 13lbs13oz on Wednesday so 20th centile. So strange compared to my DS who was 20lbs at her age!

But she is a clever little thing and is now sitting up which is earlier than DS (who went on to walk at 9 months) so I think she is a bit of a dark horse!!

I think it's the difference between a boy and girl too bob. Your dd is the same weight mine was at 18 weeks and on the 50th centile yet when I looked at ds's book, he was 15lb at that age but just over the 25th. She is clever sitting up already. I remember ds couldn't sit until about 9 months!! I was that worried I mentioned to his paed about it and she told me not worry and put it down to he learnt to crawl first and had no interest in sitting still.

Lucky girl rachel are you going anywhere nice? I'm dying to get a night to myself now looking after dd by myself from birth. Told her dad to get a cot organised so she can stay at his once a week. Gonna have to build it up slowly though as I don't want to unsettle her. Dd can go majorly up and down with her bottles too. Think that's the problem with ff - you know exactly what they're taking.

Also have a bit of a routine going and she feeds normally at 7am (hardly takes anything), 9am, 12.30, 3.30, 6 and 8pm. .

Macaroons Wed 20-Feb-13 19:08:00

bob, interesting to see your schedule. wonder how everyone's look like?

DS is kind of developing his own schedule (timings all approximate)

5.30am: BF while we co-sleep
7.30am: wakes up
8:30am: BF
9.00am - 10.00am: nap
10.30am: Baby rice with puree
11.30am: BF top up
12.00pm -1.30pm: nap
2.00pm: Baby rice with puree, then BF
4.30pm: BF
4.45pm - 5.30pm: nap
6.45pm: BF
7.00pm - 11.00pm: sleep
11pm: dream feed

would like to know how can I encourage him to sleep till 7, or even 8am!

ThedementedPenguin Thu 21-Feb-13 09:10:17

ballroom I went to Dublin for the night. It was great but I'm exhausted today (came back last night) Herbie was up loads last night and I've been up from just after 7 sad I need more sleep.

We have no routine here at all. He eats and sleeps when he wants. Althought I do try to get him into bed between 7-8pm however some nights it's impossible. Past few nights he is refusing his cot, he goes mental, wakes up loads at night times but doesn't want his bottle.

I just want him to sleep through!

For everyone who has weaned already when did you give your Lo's their first solids, morning? Afternoon? Tea time?

Macaroons Thu 21-Feb-13 18:36:35

penguin

I started baby mac on baby rice, teaspoon of that to start with and increasing that gradually. Then I gave him apple for a few days (introducing one new food every few days so if there's any allergy reaction we'd know what is causing it) then bananas for a few days, then butternut squash, then today we're on to pear. It's more work to prepare the puree, to feed and to clean up, but it's more interesting than just offering milk all the time smile

Loopyhasanotherbean Thu 21-Feb-13 20:17:11

Hv here reckons starting with tea is best as more likely to lead to them sleeping better, although never made any difference to ds1 although his sleep was good to start with. Re purses, I highly recommend Ella's kitchen pouches, no crap in them, just like you'd do at home, and no hassle, can take them out with you and long dates on them. Will use those for stage 1 then when he is ok with textured food will move onto home cooked meals. Incidentally we batch cook for ds1, every 3-4 months we buy lots of fresh food in and cook about 10 different meals over one weekend, portion them up for him, and all I need to do is grab one out of the freezer each morning to thaw for his tea that night. Means everything is fresh as can be as using fresh veg that are immediately frozen so maximum vitamins still in them, and less waste and he eats really well, far better than we do! Annabel Karmel books are great for recipes, ds1 loves her chicken/apricot/butternut squash curry, it's a purée one in her books but we now do it for him as a non puréed one with basmati rice. Obviously this is no good if you don't have much freezer space but we do and it means we only cook for him 6-8 days per year, the rest of the year is for play and cuddles smile

Loopyhasanotherbean Thu 21-Feb-13 20:18:35

That should read purées not purses!

I let DD lick a pear that I was eating today. She got really excited and smiled at me loads after.
Then promptly puked milk all over me.

I'm not giving her any food yet. She's happy enough without and Even slept well last night only feeling at 4:30am for a quick feed. Nit that I'm expecting that to happen again!

Macaroons, DD has two very quick naps during the day. About 10:30am and 2:30pm. They are about 20mins max. She goes to bed at 7Oman's stays there till about 8am. Or whenever ds's singing wakes her. Feeds are all over. She doesn't have set times during the day, I just try to feed Ger all the time in the hope she might want one less at night!

Stupid bloody phone, posted before I could correct all the mistakes.
Anyway, I'm sure you caught my drift...

leelteloo Thu 21-Feb-13 21:38:58

That is great advice Loopy, I kind of do the same on a smaller scale as only have weeny freezer. But cooking a freezing is the way forward for babies and toddlers. Ds is now having baby rice and fruit for breaky (he's not keen on the breakfast cereals) and dinner (half a jar of Hipp organic or a frozen puree). He is really enjoying the food but is a bit upset that I make smaller bottles when he has had solids: I'm sure he'd have it all!!
7am = 7oz bottle using 3oz to make up baby rice and fruit.
8.30-9 nap
11am = 7oz bottle
3am= 7oz bottle
7pm= half jar baby food and puree fruit for pudding and 4oz bottle
11pm= dream feed 7oz bottle

He is massive: such a big baby but happiest I've ever met: enjoying every minute with him smile

leelteloo Thu 21-Feb-13 21:40:44

Oh and he sleeps once or twice in the afternoon; he loves to sleep.

Lovely penguin did it not cost an absolute fortune? I used to go to Dublin every year before Christmas for shopping but the price of it puts me off now. I took ex there a few years ago for his birthday and stayed in Westbury Hotel on Grafton Street. Arrived and it was all mirrors and marble five star hotel. I'd got it in a deal in the belfast telegraph and keeked myself the whole weekend I'd got it wrong and was going to be charged an arm and a leg upon leaving grin I haven't started weaning dd but with ds it was mid afternoon feeds first. Morning I reckoned they'd be too hungry and night you want a good bottle of milk down them to help them sleep.

I'm dreading the weaning stage. I still have not-so-fond memories of standing up to all hours cooking and freezing stuff into ice-cube trays for ds. Even de-stoning cherries pissed on wine, at 2am to cook and freeze. Looking back I can see I was slightly obsessive about it all. Ds had one jar (when we were flying) the whole time. Think it's why for my own sanity I had to move to finger foods. I can't see me being as anal about it all this time. I tend to cook from scratch anyway, my mother's influence. The only thing I have stocked up on are the baby no salt stock cubes so will have to use those instead of the usual.

leetleloo I'm a bit jealous of your happy baby. Dd is sooo grumpy it's untrue. Nothing pleases her and it makes me feel shit because I don't enjoy her company at all. I think half the problem is tiredness. I simply cannot get her to go to sleep at all during the day. I know she's shattered as she rubs her eyes when she's tired, but she will not sleep unless it's a long walk in the buggy. Apparently I was the same as a baby so it's payback time for me I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now