Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Just Mumming Along (viroids 2)

(890 Posts)
Eskarina Mon 14-May-12 20:10:19

Tried to post on the original thread and my post got rejected as its full! Have copied and pasted below....

Congrats on the job offer ttl...hope the other one comes up trumps for you too.

Dd isn't quite crawling yet, but would very much like to. She is the queen of the Klingons at the moment, and has a meltdown the second I put her down, look in the opposite direction, or if someone else so much as looks at her. Not all the time thankfully, but definitely for part of every day.

On the bf thing, it's so personal.....I've just dropped doing the afternoon feed myself be cause dd is so distractible that she bobs on and off, which I don't like around other people, and now she finally has teeth the constant latch on/off was really hurting. I just bf once a day, our morning snuggle when she's nice and calm. I would be sad to give that one up just yet.

WingDefence Fri 05-Apr-13 19:55:49

Well I do think she's feeding most of the time as she comes off full of milk unless i think it's time to swap sides but I don't want to suddenly find that she has been using it for comfort and make a rod for my own back. hmm

FeijoaVodkaAndCheezels Sun 07-Apr-13 08:11:50

Oh another new viroid squish! grin Welcome to the group Dysgu. As you can see things move fast around here.

Wing I can't really remember when either of mine fell into routines. It was just a gradual thing I think.

tiredteddy Sun 07-Apr-13 21:30:42

Hello all.

So here's my dilemma, I'm lucky enough that dd is sleeping really well at night. In fact she has her last feed at 8.30 now and will sleep through until 7.30 next morning. This is great. However I have always kept my babies downstairs with us in the evening until we go to bed (usually I line with last feed at a later time like 11 which she's now dropped). I'm thrilled she's sleeping. But I just not sure I feel comfortable putting her upstairs to bed. I really worry about SIDS. I know the guidelines recommend that babies have every sleep in the same room as we are in until 6months. I have spent the last few evenings in the bedroom with low lights and a book and my iPad. Not sure what to do for the best? Keep doing this and accept its only for a few months? Put her upstairs with a monitor on and try not to be so anxious? Keep her downstairs but in sleeping bag ready for bed in her pram? Any ideas or suggestions welcome!

WingDefence Tue 09-Apr-13 18:11:24

Hi tired - I would put her upstairs with the monitor on super sensitive mode and turned up! But I think you need to do whatever you'd feel comfortable with not a cop out answer I promise!

I was discharged by the community MW today. I'm going to miss them actually. But DD can't be discharged yet as she has a bit of jaundice still (although tons better than a week ago and it's barely noticeable). In our area, apparently if a baby still has jaundice at 14 days (which will be Friday), they have to be referred to the jaundice clinic at the hospital which would be a right pain, especially as she is clearly almost completely better. So fingers crossed she will be discharged on Friday and not referred on...

She was weighed today and has put on 7oz since last Thurs so is well past her birth weight! I'm so proud silly I know and can't believe that she has taken to bfing like a duck to water. We're still planning on introducing a bottle of formula at or just after this weekend so DH can do a middle of night feed. The advice I've been given is to introduce 2-3 weeks in but it does feel a bit soon - although leaving it too late means babies often reject a bottle doesn't it and I don't want to be in that situation!

Right, nearly DS's bedtime so hopefully this feed will finish soon. And I'll save my night feed question for another post...!

tiredteddy Sun 14-Apr-13 10:21:09

Hi wing, how's is your dd's jaundice now? Ds1 had prolonged jaundice which involved going once a week to the hospital for blood and urine tests but no actual treatment blush. Is the feeding still going well for you? Fern is sleeping like a dream still. Have been putting her upstairs with the monitor on but the alarm has gone off a few times so I'm not feeling very at ease about it. I've started going up after dinner and reading / mums netting in bed the past few nights.

WingDefence Mon 15-Apr-13 22:17:05

Hi tired. She's still got a touch of jaundice but we have a MW appt tomorrow morning so we'll see what she says. Had our first health visitor appt this morning and she didn't seem too worried about it so we may try to argue against referral to the clinic - or we may get her referred simply because it would be good for DD to be checked over.

Is that a movement alarm you have? That doesn't sound very good if its gone off a few times. Don't think I'm doubting you but is it set up okay? confused

Feeding is still going well and I'm getting pretty good at BFing in public which I never ever thought I would or could do shock We are going to introduce a bottle in the next few days but I'm thinking of getting a pump so that DD only has to get used to the bottle with my milk in as opposed to both a bottle and then formula - and then we'll introduce formula in it at night after she has hopefully got used to it. That's the plan anyway - ask me again at the end of the week!

Hope everyone else is doing well?

tiredteddy Mon 15-Apr-13 22:40:17

The plan sounds good wing about the feeding with your dd. I'll check in tomorrow to see how you get with the midwife! Yes it's a movement sensor. She does breath very shallow-ly if that makes sense. I've checked it and DH and it seems right. Typical. It was meant to make me feel better about putting her upstairs but I'm more worried! I just held her tonight til I was tasty for bed. Now mumsnetting on my phone in bed.

Dysgu Mon 15-Apr-13 23:03:56

Hi Wing hope the jaundice is okay. I would probably opt for the referral just to get things checked out if there is any uncertainty; but then, all three of mine have spent days until Billi lights because of jaundice. Well done on the successful feeding and managing to feed in public too. I see BFing mums everywhere these days and I don't think most people pay any attention (I appreciate it might be that we spend time in family friendly places...)

Hope your DD gets on well transferring to the bottle. Hope you get on with the expressing so your plan goes smoothly - is the plan for your DH to be giving the bottle? We found that the easiest way with DD1 as then she couldn't smell the milk on me!

Tired I think I would be like you and would end up sitting upstairs. I am currently downstairs with DS, he is snuffling in his moses basket. Everyone else in the house has been asleep for hours. I am thinking about moving DS upstairs but now he is settled I don't want to tempt him into waking up already. He will probably be hungry in an hour or so and then will hopefully settle quickly - which tends to not be the case as he struggles to wind!

WingDefence Tue 16-Apr-13 16:27:58

Wotcher Dysgu. Yes the plan will be for DH to do it... I'm not sure about hand expressing and I can't find my old tommee tippee manual pump from last time so I'm watching a couple of nearly new ones on eBay.

The MW was not at all concerned about the jaundice this morning, even though she couldn't see DD's eyes as she was sleeping. So without any prompting from us she said she was happy not to refer her. Phew. And if we're still concerned in a week or two, we can take her to the HV clinic and they can refer her.

tiredteddy Tue 16-Apr-13 20:22:23

Hi DYSGU how's Evan doing? And you of course?

WING glad the jaundice is ok and MW pleased enough that its not a problem. Sounds like everything is going smoothly with you at the moment!

So my question for tonight is do you remember when babies have growth spurts. Fern has been the most unsettled she's ever been the past two days, quite teary and seemingly hungrier too. Am I meant to give her more bottles if she has each one slightly earlier iykwim? Or is she trying to bring her bedtime forward and that's why she's been hungrier earlier?

WingDefence Tue 16-Apr-13 21:23:23

Well as smoothly as it can be without any kind of routine! This feeding on demand business is difficult hmm

DD is currently sleeping on me but I don't want her to go down for the night just yet as then she'll wake up probably twice in the night as opposed to (say) 12-1ish and then 5ish which feels more like morning than night.

Re growth spurts, when I was looking up cluster feeding I read that they apparently tend to happen at 7-10 days, 2-3 weeks, then 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months but that's all on average so it could be 2 months, 5 months etc instead? Have you tried putting an extra ounce in the bottle at each feed?

tiredteddy Tue 16-Apr-13 21:34:44

Ooh I love it when people answer quickly thanks! About a fortnight ago she dropped the 11ish bottle altogether and all others bottles gone up to 6oz. So the last one is at 8.30 ish. I do wonder weather she just wants to go to bed earlier. Will try an extra ounce at the 5 o'clock feed tomorrow and see if that is better maybe as that's when she was upset. She is three months now so could be growth spurt. I just worried about over feeding the formula.

I know what you mean about when they start to feed at regular times and settle for the night. I think it's great when you get a feed at 11/12 and can go to bed then only getting up once in the night before the morning. It always makes you feel better that you haven't been up more than once!

WingDefence Wed 17-Apr-13 07:39:16

You're welcome tired, although it's hard to help when I'm just on the other side of an iPhone screen!

DD did much better last night - I gave her a last 10 min feed at 20 then she slept (and so did we) until 2:20, I fed her just for 15 mins on one side only then she went back to sleep so I didn't bother offering her the other side and she slept then from 2:45 till 5:20. We've been awake since then but that's fine. It probably won't be the same tonight though.!. hmm

WingDefence Wed 17-Apr-13 07:40:12

Last ten min feed at 10pm that should have said smile

tiredteddy Mon 22-Apr-13 12:39:16

Little Fern had her second set of jabs today. Cried but seems ok so far. How's everyone else doing?

WingDefence Mon 22-Apr-13 15:44:53

Blimey has it been that long since I posted - sorry!

We registered DD today which was good smile Haven't started thinking about jabs and 6-week check etc confused

DD is feeding and napping a lot in the daytime with increasing amounts of awake time. She's been sleeping pretty well these past few nights - roughly 9:30-10:30 I wale her from her nap (usually on me) and give her her last feed and she goes through till roughly somewhere between 2 and 3:30, I feed her again and then she has another couple of hours. It's struck me today though that actually that 'nap' from 8:30-9 is her going to bed so I should try to swaddle her and pop her in her Moses basket and then treat the 9:30-10:30 feed as the dream feed?

The manual tommee tippee pump I bought (to replace the one I had but Sod's law haven't been able to find so will probably find it in a month or two!) came today so I'm going to try to find time to pump and start with a bottle from DH tomorrow. We want to move that to a night time formula feed at some point but I wanted her to have my milk first so she only has to get used to the bottle and not the bottle as well as different milk. (I've probably said all this before upthread but am on phone so can't check!)

Right, better go as she's napping on me and I need the loo!!!

tiredteddy Mon 29-Apr-13 10:53:00

Hey wing how's things? Your dd looks beautiful on FB pics!

My question of the day us when should I be offering dd water as a drink now it's getting warmer? Also need to know for June as we are going to Barcelona!

WingDefence Mon 29-Apr-13 19:25:57

Aww thanks tired smile

I don't know about water but I have a feeling they get all their fluid from the milk, whether ff or bf? It's only if it's 30 degrees you'd have to think about giving water? Can you ask the HV?

DD went through a growth spurt yesterday. It was mad. Looking back at the list of feeds, she didn't go longer than a 20-25 min break between feeds from 2:15 till 10:30.

I don't know if it was comfort sucking but from what I've read it does fit with a growth spurt and they can happen at 4 weeks, not just 6.

Anyway, she went 10:30-4:15 so I have felt vaguely human today but of course she's eaten more 'normally' today and had some good naps too. So who knows what'll happen tonight...?

ICompletelyKnowAboutGuineaPigs Sat 04-May-13 08:47:55

Found you all!

Just a quick post to say hello. Not been on MN since Eleanor was born ... she is 2 weeks old on Monday - where does the time go?!

Hope you're all well. Will have a proper look at the thread later.

WingDefence Sat 04-May-13 19:18:59

Hi Guinea! Congrats again! grin

DD is 5 weeks +1 today. I can see why only a fraction of women exclusively breastfeed up to 6 weeks as the constant feeding is starting to wear me down a bit. She's doing well at night but it means that in the daytime she is either napping, so I'm thinking 'wake up else you won't get enough to eat in the daytime and will be awake more at night' or ages awake and I can realistically expect her to want to feed...

But there are short little gaps of being alert and not feeding emerging. Will have to see whether there's a pattern after 6 weeks.

Love to all.

ICompletelyKnowAboutGuineaPigs Sat 04-May-13 21:57:50

There is typically a growth spurt around 4-6 weeks so her feeding may calm down after that Wing. Is she an efficient feeder or is she on ages?

We are seeing a lactation consultant as having a few feeding issues ... turns out Eleanor has a posterior tongue tie (and its likely the other 2 had it as I have one - who knew confused ). She's also really tense in her upper body which is causing loads of tension in her mouth. This is causing her to have a shallow latch and she's struggling to drain my breast. she's seeing an osteopath on Wednesday so hopefully that should help.

WingDefence Sat 04-May-13 22:25:56

Well when she's efficient she's fine (8-10 mins) but she cluster feeds a lot. The HV said it was fine though as she's doing between 4-6 hours for her main stretch at night so it makes sense that she stocks up in the daytime. She went from 7lb 15 to 9lb 10 in two weeks and I'm perfectly happy with nappies etc too smile

tiredteddy Thu 09-May-13 13:00:15

Hi guinea. How did it go yesterday? Hope you and Eleanor are ok?

Hi wing. Sounds like your dd has had a growth spurt. Has it passed now? Seems like you are getting on really well with the BF this time. Happy for you smile

Practisingparent Mon 20-May-13 14:19:38

Hi all,
Just popping in to say ds is 2 weeks now, and this is the 1st time Iv posted! time flies with a newborn!

Il try and make it a quick summary of progress! Had cs so DH has been home since and has luckily taken dd off my hands pretty much completely so had lots of time to get to know my lovely little baby, who seems a complete doddle so far (compared to dd)! BF well now those horrid sore nipples have hardened up! He lost 8oz 1st week but is gaining now and I really hope has reached his birth weight tomorrow. Loads of wet dirty nappies, so was never particularly worried! Also sleeping pretty well at night usually only gets up once (occasionally twice), but its early days still, it could all change once he hits a growth spurt!

wING how come you are thinking of introducing formula at night? and has that growth spurt passed? How long did it last? well done bf in public, thats my next hurdle, I find it difficult to be discrete when you are trying to get them latched on properly!

Guinea sorry to hear about tongue tie, but it sounds like it hasnt been much of an issue for the rest of you. Let me know how your appointment goes.

tired very jealous that ur little one is going through already, I used to just use a monitor, but it wasnt a movement one, and leave dd upstairs, but then she didnt drop her 11pm feed till she was 5 mths.

Only read last page, but will try and catch up with you all.

WingDefence Fri 24-May-13 22:51:23

Practising I promise I'll post more later! Sorry it's a bit quiet on here - I've been v active on the March post natal group (I wasn't on their ante natal group though) as it does help to be going through the same things at roughly the same time.

But I wanted to say I'm not ignoring you!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now