Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

January 2008: I'm four and 'they're all mine!'

(646 Posts)
latrucha Thu 01-Mar-12 20:19:27

Sorry Simposn. Just couldn't resist. grin

LaTrucha Tue 22-Jan-13 19:46:13

light projector thing although this wasn't the one she got.

Fillybuster Wed 23-Jan-13 15:34:05

Thank you for the suggestions. OK, I've looked in the box where I store/hide stuff as I find it, and it isn't that bad if I combine it with some shopping tonight:

watch
Barbie with 3 outfits (horribly expensive and a bit yuk but she asked)
Belle Disney doll (she asked....sigh.....)
Snow White dressing up outfit (she has outgrown the 3-4yr old one)
Lego - 'starter box' of small lego
Pink/see through umbrella
A few hair bits

I still want to find:

Lego - Horse trailer (seems to have sold out bleeding everywhere)
Crafty stuff / new colouring pencils
New pyjamas
Books
More hair bits
Maybe some more My Little Pony things (yes JKS - she has a fair number already!)

LaTrucha Wed 23-Jan-13 18:13:22

Happy birthday Nickys C smile

JKSLtd Wed 23-Jan-13 19:42:47

Yes Happy Birthday C smile

LaTrucha - DD1 1st Jan (S) 5 already
Gingeme - DS5 10 Jan (G) 5 already
Mixedmama - DS2 11 Jan (E) 5 already
LuckySalem DD1 16th Jan (A) 5 already
Lilyloo DD2 18th Jan (M) 5 already
JKS DS2 21st Jan (H) 5 already
Nicky DD1 23rd Jan (C) 5 Today!
MrsMcJnr DS1 24th Jan (X)
Bluebell82/Rubysmom - DD1 (R)
Filly DD1 29th Jan (T)
Simpson DD1 29th Jan (M)
Angechica DS1 29th Jan (A)
Madmouse DS1 1st Feb (N)

Well both boys are tucked up in their new bunkbeds smile
It's very cute, they both love them.
T said they are the 2nd best thing in his life, after his fave monkey grin
H just loves 'sleeping down low' with T 'up high' smile

He was awake from 3.50 today though, sigh. Hope the new beds work some magic...

LaTrucha Wed 23-Jan-13 20:01:39

Ouch, JKS. Painful.

simpson Wed 23-Jan-13 20:03:52

Eek at the early starts...

Molly started the day at 5.30 on Sunday (but luckily she was at my mums house so I did not have to deal with it!!)

Fillybuster Thu 24-Jan-13 16:22:53

Early starts sad Bunkbeds grin

Finished the birthday shopping last night....in the end it was easy. I had to go to ToyRUs (my most hated shop in the whole wide world) to return the Disney Princess heels SIS had bought for Mia (dammit,she's 2....she's still getting the hang of walking in flat shoes.....she doesn't need heels!!!!) and I spotted:

1) Pink electric guitar (a real one, although battery operated) - proper strings etc. Down from £60 to £30. The age guidance says 6+ but I think she will totally love it....she was given a Hello Kitty pink plastic electric guitar for Channukah and has been enormously frustrated that it only has 4 pre-programmed tunes on buttons and nothing else. I knew I had to do something when she pointed at the white lines and asked what they were for and I had to explain that they were painted on guitar strings !!!!!

2) Banjaroos (is that right? The bendy things you can make things with???) Down to £4.99 from £15 or something for the gift packs - i've bought 4 to put away for birthday presents

3) Hama beads kit - a really big one was marked right down.

4) A few more hair bits....

Hurrah.

Now we just have to wrap it all..... smile smile

Going to have a mini family tea party for T on Tuesday...she is not impressed at having to go to school on her birthday, even if she is wearing her own clothes and taking cake and kitkats in to share with her friends smile

I have promised to work from home on Tues so I can take her in and collect her.....hmm

JKSLtd Fri 25-Jan-13 13:03:40

Well H up at 6 yesterday & 6.30 today, yey.
Now just to sort my sleeping out hmm

Sorry missed birthdays yesterday if you 2 still lurk occasionally, happy birthday to X & R smile

Nicky DD1 23rd Jan (C) 5 already
MrsMcJnr DS1 24th Jan (X) 5 yesterday
Bluebell82/Rubysmom - DD1 (R) 5 yesterday

Filly DD1 29th Jan (T)
Simpson DD1 29th Jan (M)
Angechica DS1 29th Jan (A)
Madmouse DS1 1st Feb (N)

Fillybuster Tue 29-Jan-13 10:36:41

Just come on to shout about it being 5 years since T arrived....wow!!!

Happy birthday Tamara Molly and A .....and well done to me, Simpson and Ange smile smile smile

Simpson - sending you and Molly lots of love and hugs...hope you're all having a lovely day xx

Nicky DD1 23rd Jan (C) 5 already
MrsMcJnr DS1 24th Jan (X) 5 already
Bluebell82/Rubysmom - DD1 (R) 5 already

Filly DD1 29th Jan (T) 5 today
Simpson DD1 29th Jan (M) 5 today
Angechica DS1 29th Jan (A) 5 today
Madmouse DS1 1st Feb (N)

JKSLtd Tue 29-Jan-13 12:43:52

Happy Birthday to T, M & A smile

5 sounds so old doesn't it?!

simpson Tue 29-Jan-13 18:42:49

They are definately not babies at five grin

Molly had a great day but it felt odd sending a child to school on their birthday as J's birthday is in Aug I have never had it with him...

She got loads of treats and her teacher took her round the classroom to hand out her party invites (booked for 10th Feb) and she was most chuffed to get a birthday bookmark from her teachers and a happy birthday sticker from the HT.

She is now downstairs eating cake grin

Hope all the 29th Jan kids had a great day...

Happy birthday to T, M and A smile

Fillybuster Tue 29-Jan-13 19:32:59

Simpson - I felt the same, for the same reason! But T was happy enough to go to school dressed in her birthday best smile Glad M had a good birthday - and well done to all of us January 08 mums, too smile smile

simpson Sun 03-Feb-13 23:40:23

I hope. Nathan had a happy birthday and that the day passed with happy thoughts for madmouse smile

JKSLtd Mon 04-Feb-13 14:17:07

Madmouse - spoke on FB but happy birthday to our last one smile

Went swimming at the weekend with all the kids & MIL, H was brilliant. he is getting so brave and even went in the big pool with me, let me let go of him and sort of 'threw' himself at me, not exactly swimming but such bravery smile

Also took him bowling which he loved.

Working on a sticker chart for sitting on the loo with him & M, if we could only get him out of nappies, it's the biggest thing he's behind on at the moment.
M isn't quite there yet but she's very happy to sit on the loo and get stickers, lol.

LaTrucha Wed 06-Feb-13 11:41:07

Hi All,

I have had comuter problems so I haven't ben on bu Happy belated Birthday to all.

Goin back to work even in the simplest way seems to be very difficult. I have applied for examining work with a board I have worked for before the DCs and in fact before I was a qualified secondary school teacher. However, because everyone I worked directly with has left my last school since I left, including the headmaster, they can't provide me with a full reference. The LEA provided what they call a 'work reference' (dates of employment, that I didn't get into trouble, reason for leaving etc) but the examining board won't accept that. I have provided another from the woman who runs te breastfeeding gruoup here - she is also my trainer - but they haven' contacted her in the 10 days or so since that, so it seems they haven't acceped that either.

This has been going on for months now. It's really getting me down, especially considering the situation here which hasn't, as I had thought, improved at all.

JKSLtd Wed 06-Feb-13 13:20:51

Oh dear in both regards LaT sad

There must be a solution to the work thing, can you track down someone you worked with all those years ago?
Even through FB? Bet if you offered to write the letter and all they had to do was sign it, someone would be happy to do it? I know I would (if I'd got on with you of course ;) )

As for home, just sorry for you really, wish it would improve for you x

simpson Thu 07-Feb-13 17:28:43

Sorry LaT - how frustrating sad

Can you try and find where the Head Master works now??

All good here, I have Molly's birthday party this Sunday. I am not looking forward to it as I hate kids parties!!

LaTrucha Thu 07-Feb-13 19:21:54

They've all retired! I did contact one of them who is friend on FB but she didn't reply. sad

Good luck with the party. I didn't hate S's half as much as I thought I was going to! grin

simpson Thu 07-Feb-13 19:34:53

I cannot believe that you are the first person to be in this situation, what about the deputy?

LaTrucha Fri 08-Feb-13 08:56:59

He won't. To be fair, I spoke to him about twice the whole time I was there.

I now I'm not the forst. I started a thread about it before Christmas and two ex-teacher Mners contacted me to say they've been in the same position and not found a way out, just off the back of one little thread. I am contemplating a letter to the newspapers!

My plan B is that they will no longer be my last employer. There's a family friend who runs a translation business and she asked me a few years ago to do some editing for her, so I'm hoping she might have something for me. After that, I'm a bit buggered.

Fillybuster Tue 12-Feb-13 11:47:42

Oh LaT sad I'm sorry, I was also hoping things had improved... There must be a way around this - is your PhD tutor still around and able to supply you with a reference?

Although I don't understand why the deputy head won't provide you with a basic personal reference, if he was there at the same time as you...that seems a bit mean, tbh

Simpson - how was M's party?

JKS - love the idea of toilet training H & M at the same time....sweet smile

Just back from our very first ever week away without children in 8 years. It was surprisingly easy at both ends: turns out we are able to go a whole week without talking about dcs, and they were completely fine and meltdown-free without us (hmmm...maybe I should be concerned about that?!)....so all good. We are enormously lucky to have a MIL who can move in, and a capable aupair (and it must help that the dcs are used to not seeing us that much during the week anyway), so hopefully we'll manage it again next year.

T's party this Sunday coming. I have to create a My little pony cake by then...eek! Will be making large amounts of pink and green icing this evening smile

simpson Fri 15-Feb-13 12:52:34

M's party went really well. 16 kids who all had a great time.

It is the first day of half term today (teacher training) and the kids are already killing each other!!

M tumbled all the way down the stairs in a roly poly tumble and has an egg sized lump on her head. My heart was in my mouth as I saw the whole thing....

Fillybuster Tue 19-Feb-13 14:29:26

Glad M's party went well smile T's was on Sunday (complete with My little pony birthday cake....aaargh!)....went well, I think - about 30 kids, but shared with another child in her class.

had some pretty awful news on Friday night....my mother had been suffering from vertigo/sickness for 2 weeks, gp had thought it might be an inner ear infection and eventually checked her into hospital friday morning to treat dehydration as she couldn't keep anything down last week....scan on Friday afternoon has shown up 2 tumours. No details yet (biopsy tomorrow), but it probably isn't great, although the rest of her body scans have come back clear....

So went from hospital with her all day Saturday to icing cake saturday night, to party Sunday, and travelling for work all day yesterday....feeling emotionally quite strung out!

am only posting on here, for now, not telling RL friends for the time being, until we get the biopsy results and know what we're dealing with, so no FB page posts please!

simpson Thu 21-Feb-13 17:54:20

Oh Filly - I do hope your mum is ok sad Fingers x for biopsy results...

Dreading this weekend as H is coming over to see the kids (he arrives tomorrow and is staying till Sunday). Will be glad when it's all over...

JKSLtd Fri 22-Feb-13 21:10:09

Oh Filly - do hope it turns out to be something treatable/manageable. How worrying and upsetting for you all - and trying to put a brave face on at the party too.

Simps - total sympathy for you, where is he staying? wishing it passes quickly.

On a downer...
Friend here has just been diagnosed with breast cancer, haven't known her that long but she seems lovely. She's just had DC2 too. Have offered our house as a 'dumping ground' for the kids, esp her DS but they don't know us well so feel a bit useless tbh.

ON a much brighter note, in case you haven't see on fb, we had a fabulous trip to Thomasland yesterday, H was so brave and went on lots of rides, we managed a night in a hotel too. This is after a trip to the zoo (only an hour away but we haven't been in the 8+ years we've lived here!) on Mon that he loved too.
It's jsut so lovely being able to all go out on family trips and take H and know that he'll (mostly) be fine. We weren't able to do that for so long.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now