How do I start going to a CofE church?

(35 Posts)
WorkingClassScum Mon 15-Oct-07 20:44:47

I know this seems ridiculous, but having never been to a regular church service, and not having actually been christened I am unsure.

Should I call the vicar first? What happens with ds (3), it says they have Sunday School but what ages do they take? Also ds wasn't christened either will that be a problem? The husband was confirmed into the Episcopal church (he's American) which is Anglican right? So will it be the same as he's used to?

I know what church I'll be going to as it's nearby and I chatted to the vicar briefly a couple of times when I used to do volunteer work and he's lovely... and a bit eccentric! I just feel so stupid because I'm clueless. But I also feel so at peace after a long time in the wilderness.

livvylouis Tue 23-Oct-07 19:50:22

Hi WCS im also new to christianity and recentely started attending my local CofE church. Like you was a little aprehensive at first but found everybody to be so friendly and welcoming. I also hope to be baptised soon along with DD 2 years and DS 3 months I really cant wait sooooooooooo excited! So glad that you are happy and hope all goes well for you.
God bless.
xx

MaryBS Tue 23-Oct-07 20:25:20

That's fantastic, and great that you're being baptised as part of the morning service! I'm SO pleased for you! I was received into the church (I was already baptised) as part of the morning service, and it really felt welcoming. I was singing all day afterwards!

livvy - I see you're in Worcestershire. Not sure if you know, but you're getting a new bishop at the end of the year (from my neck of the woods). Can I just say what a fabulous guy he is (John Inge), and if I could I'd keep him here? If you get to hear him preach/talk he is lovely and has such a good sense of humour!

livvylouis Wed 24-Oct-07 19:29:11

Mary will look out for the Bishop if he is ever in my area, thanks for letting me know.

RedwingOnFire Thu 21-Feb-13 17:03:54

Well I'm reviving this old OLD THREAD because I'm the OP and I was noseying at my old user names and I saw this! I didn't even remember posting it! It's lovely to see!

So, thought I'd give a bit of a faith update since then! ds(1) and I were baptised in the December. It was lovely, and having faith gave me strength to deal with my mum having a stroke that month while we were having Christmas in the US and then my dad's death two years later. I met my now closest friends there. I was confirmed in 2010 which was an absolutely amazing experience. I've helped at a baptism, led and given talks regularly at the afternoon service, led morning prayer, gone regularly into school as a representative of the church to be a Christian resource for RE and finally blessed with our second son in 2011!!

It has been amazing and literally saved me that little middle of the road, small congregation, open armed CofE church. So glad I found what were my first steps here!!

Oh, that's a lovely update smile

MadHairDay Thu 21-Feb-13 19:04:32

Oh how wonderful Redwing - thankyou for updating, it's so encouraging to read your story smile So glad it's all worked out so well for you.

FIFIBEBE Thu 21-Feb-13 19:11:29

That's great and so good to hear.

RedwingOnFire Fri 22-Feb-13 07:16:45

Thanks for your comments smile

1944girl Mon 25-Feb-13 23:57:16

I am so happy for you WorkingClass

I am a catholic and at the moment am being sponsor for a lady my age (late sixties) who is being recieved into the catholic church at Easter.She has never been baptised either but will be at the Easter Vigil.

FlowerTruck Tue 26-Feb-13 18:23:07

What a lovely update smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now