What on EARTH does this mean? Can anyone help?

(27 Posts)
TheEponymousGrub Mon 07-Oct-13 14:27:52

I admit, I am no kind of philosopher. Sometimes, a "concept" will seem to me like a bar of soap: I almost have it...but then, nope, it's gone. I conclude that I have the wrong shape of brain.

So now, I'm studying for a qualification in teaching (science) at higher-education level. The trainers (Staff Development) have laughingly pointed out that some of the reading material and the assignments are probably more "touchy-feely" than scientists are used to. But surely, surely...this is gibberish??

"One important caution is to be aware that a threshold concept can be a form of disciplinary property and as such, its presentation in a curriculum may carry an inherent tendency to invite congealed understandings.”

My understanding is definitely congealed! Can anyone tell me what disciplinary property is supposed to be? Please let it be a typo...

brambleandapple Mon 07-Oct-13 20:16:38

Yep, rainforest I think. Only read a bit of the research, but fascinating.

brambleandapple Mon 07-Oct-13 20:18:29

Counting was a real issue for them. What had gone from view had gone 'out of existence' for them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now