Confused about this action by the church

(30 Posts)
Restorer Sat 04-May-13 19:42:09

I am a fairly regular attender at Church

The church requires members (I am not one) to make a promise about clean living and serving God.

One of the members is a young man who does loads of volunteering for them, particularly with young people, but also shopping/driving for the elderly in the congregation, does more than his share of the labouring for any job required on the building etc.

He is now living with his fiancée outside marriage. The church have rescinded his membership, but are still happy for him to be active in their youth group etc. Once they are married he can remake his promise.

I don't understand. Surely they either want him in or they don't. How does God feel about it? Does his sin, negate or invalidate all his good works? It seems hypocritical to me to strike him off, but still accept all his help.

This is very much a mainstream Christian church BTW. I've tried to be vague so as not to disclose those involved and so I haven't used the official terms for the proceedings, which would make it obvious.

Anthracite Sun 05-May-13 07:50:56

Restorer,

It has nothing to so with the fictitious promiscuous but discrete person. It's about this couple alone. They should either step down from ministry or live apart until they are married.

Restorer Sun 05-May-13 07:59:29

Ah, but Weblet's point is valid-the church is made up of fewer people each year

Anthracite Sun 05-May-13 08:06:02

But the churches that are steadfast and traditional in their attitudes toward pre-marital relations are growing.

weblette Sun 05-May-13 14:59:08

In which countries Anthracite? Certainly not the UK.

The Ways of God - well that really depends which 'ways' you choose to follow, do you go all NT and that forgiveness, loving neighbourly stuff or good old fashioned OT sin-hating wrath?

Since so many 'rules' found in current denominations date back to historical interpretations which were expedient for the time I'd say that churches actually do conform to the ways of the world.

Anthracite Sun 05-May-13 15:45:58

The Church of England has plenty of growing churches.

Jesus' Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5 & 6) as well as the rest of the Gospels, and Paul's letters give good instruction on holy living, if you are interested.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now