"By this love you have for one another, everyone will know that you are my disciples": Christian Prayer Thread for April

(810 Posts)
Tuo Sat 13-Apr-13 23:35:18

I thought it was about time we started a new thread, seeing as the previous one now has over 600 posts, making it difficult for some people to load it and navigate around it. I used the quote from John 13. 15 that I posted on the previous thread on Maundy Thursday, because I think it sums up what this thread - and this group of people - is all about.

We pray particularly at this time for RoomForALittleOne: that her baby hang on where s/he is for as long as possible and continue to grow in size and strength, and that Room stay well and as pain- and stress-free as possible. Prayers, too, for the medical team looking after them both at this worrying time.

We pray also for:
amberlight ? for her work raising awareness of ASDs, and for her friends who have cancer;
BabyBeatrice and her family ? for continued healing and with thanks for recent good news;
BlackEyedSusan ? for strength to cope with all the many things on her plate, for health for her mum, and for happier times at school for her DD and DS;
BlueTinkerbell ? for work possibilities and for her vocation;
charlottecollinsislost ? for a peaceful holiday, despite the circumstances, and for as pain- and recrimination-free a separation as possible for the sake of all concerned;
Dontsteponthemomeraths ? for her as she dips her toe back in the 'dating pond'; for her ?LM? as he tries to establish contact with his children; for her brother to regain full use of his thumb, following an accident;
DutchOma and Bob ? for health for Bob, and for Oma to feel supported as she cares for him day-to-day; also for Oma's planned trip to Holland;
GingerCurl ? for the successful and (relatively) stress-free completion of her thesis;
HavingALittleFaithBaby ? for as easy a time as is possible during these last days and weeks of her pregnancy;
jann2013 ? for strength for her following the break-up of her marriage, and for her dd who has badly broken her arm;
Kaykat ? for her and her DS to know peace and happiness as they emerge from an abusive relationship, and for the legal issues to be sorted out quickly so that they can get back into their own home;
MadHairDay - for strength as she lives with chronic illness and for the Spring to bring her better health;
MaryBS - for peace and happiness following a difficult situation at Scouts with her DS;
PositiveAttitude ? for her mission overseas and for her family both over there and back here, especially her DD1;
...and for all who post on this thread, for those who lurk, for occasional visitors, and for those known to us who are in need of prayer, whether mentioned here or not.

Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayers.

Thank you all for prayers and kind words!
We've made some life-changing decisions after being turned down for the job.
Decided I didn't want to go to the other 2 interviews I've been offered add I really don't feel called to those jobs anymore.
We are going to move in with MIL so I can change diocese and have a chance of having a BAP next academic year and start training the year after.
I've already contacted the DDO there and within half an hour had an email back. Already noticing the difference!
Really looking forward to it!
Not being offered the job really put things in perspective! God works in mysterious ways indeed! smile

Dutchoma Fri 10-May-13 22:17:47

Sounds like a plan Blue. Will you have a job there?

No I won't! DH is going to try and transfer his.

Praying for Badvoc's DS2.

Blue have you looked at any colleges yet?

Badvoc Sat 11-May-13 08:31:46

Blue...wow. Really hope this works out for you. God does indeed work in mysterious ways smile
Thank you for the prayers for ds2 he was fine during the night and has had had a banana this morning. I am somewhat of an emetophobe so panic slightly at any sickness (pathetic I know)
I really empathise with your predicament blue. I am at somewhat of a crossroads myself ATM (ds2 starting school in sept after me being a sahm for a decade!) and I am struggling to know what God wants me to do.
I also got offered a job some weeks ago which seemed to good to be true (turned out it was smile) and I was very downcast for some time afterwards but actually I think it's all for the best. Ditto my OU course that I cancelled due to my mums operation and ill health. Ds2 was so ill at the same time it would have been impossible to so any coursework and I would have wasted £2.5k!!
I guess DDOs must be like LAs...the are great ones and not so great ones smile

Room yes we have, we'd like to go to Cuddesdon smile

DH spoke to HR yesterday and they're looking into a transfer.
We now have to speak to landlord to see when we can move out.

Prayers for everyone this lovely morning

cloutiedumpling Sat 11-May-13 09:55:16

Lurking and praying, praying and lurking.

We were doing the grocery shop yesterday and bought mustard seeds for a recipe. Now I can't get that song "Faith as small as a mustard seed can move mountains, move mountains" out of my brain. Next I'll be doing the actions too!

Kaykat Sat 11-May-13 10:48:38

Would appreciate prayers for DS, he often gets short periods of sadness about our situation and he is struggling to cope with how bad he feels during those times. I so want to be able to solve it and I can't because the only thing which would make him truly happy is to have his family back together and happy again. We may be back home in a couple of months if the legal process works in my favour, although potentially longer as I now have to evict squatters thanks to my cruel H.

Dutchoma Sat 11-May-13 10:51:07

Oh KAY, that's just horrible. Praying for ds that his feelings of sadness will pass and that he will see that being unconditionally loved by one parent is worth a lot.

Badvoc Sat 11-May-13 10:52:17

Kay.
How awful for you and ds.
I will pray for you both.
Won't be going to church tomorrow now as I don't want to - potentially - pass a sickness bug around (and 2 of the older members of he church have been hospitalised with it recently)

Dutchoma Sat 11-May-13 10:54:29

Best plan Badvoc as sickness bugs can be very easily passed on. Hope nobody else goes down with it in your family.

mathanxiety Sat 11-May-13 16:19:04

Hello all -- DS's roommate is still hospitalised and will be now, it seems, for quite a while -- I am inclined to think this is a very good thing. The university came and removed his belongings yesterday. The day before, the roommate's father came by and locked his computer and wallet into the closet. DS was really hmm because the only people who ever go into the room are him and the roommate (and of course the social worker who visited during the suicide watch) -- frankly if DS was going to help himself to the computer or the wallet he would have done it before then. The roommate's parents sound like prize boobs from what DS tells me of conversations with his roommate and this little incident.

I will be saying a prayer for everyone.

Dutchoma Sat 11-May-13 19:15:07

Probably of the variety which expects perfection of ds while blaming everyone else for his failures, Math. Prayers from me too.

Can I ask you ladies something? Not sure I can face mn itself tonight.

My brother got exasperated with DD standing in the way, as he tried to change his sons nappy this afternoon. He told her to 'go away'. I thought that was horrible as she's only 5 and was just interested. She'd been playing nicely with his son all afternoon and being really kind to him. It all seemed so unnecessary of him to do that. He has a short fuse just like my Dad, who I now never see.

Am I being too sensitive due to my upbringing? Or was it mean?

I was frozen and felt like a child again. It would have started a huge fight if I'd challenged him. Feel rubbish tonight and guilty for not saying anything. I apologised to DD at bedtime about him and she said she didn't mind. Which actually made me feel worse.

Kay I'm so sorry to hear you now have squatters on top of everything else sad Praying.

BlackeyedSusan Sat 11-May-13 21:47:25

hello. typing with perforated fingers, but children have been to church in costumes (one slightly unfinished.) they looked fabulous (blatant boast!) dd cried about going so I have stayed, for hours. confused

it as interesting to see how bad dd was physically today.... I need to get the referral form printed off and sent into the ot's for an assessment for dyspraxia.

I am struggling to keep my temper today as someone is not being very thoughtful and I am not feeling patient at dealing with sulking and incompetance. I have had to resort to meditating on the face of a certain police officer, never a good sign that.

mome, it is difficult to tell really. all depends on context and tone of voice and a pattern of behaviour. what uspets one person, may not upset another. however, from what you have written, there seems to be a pattern of snappyness and short temper which has led you to feeling sensitive to the early signs of temper tantrum... if he had not been snappy on other occasions, you would not have felt upset by this occaasion, even if he was not being unreasonable this time.

please caan someone make that^ make sense...

So much to pray for on here. I've had a lovely evening with DH and now need some sleep so I won't do loads of specific prayers.

Mome did he ask your DD nicely first or did he just go straight to snapping and telling her to go away? If I'm honest, I have inherited my father's temper although it is almost always when I'm extremely tired that it comes out. I did have to learn that no matter how naughty/annoying the children have been all day, I need to take each incident as something new and therefore the rule of 'ask nicely first, then ask firmly, then tell' applies. I have to remind myself that I wouldn't 't want someone shouting the odds at me and it does get a far better response from the children. Maybe he could do with learning that little technique? Sometimes I catch a very tired DH skipping the 'ask nicely' stage and I will say something in front of the children if it seems unjust. He does the same for me. Better to have the chance to admit that you are in a temper and are sorry than to act like it's OK. Does that help at all?

mathanxiety Sat 11-May-13 23:41:27

<Mome, I think he could have said something like 'could you fetch me a wipe' or 'stand back here so baby won't pee on you'. It's not too sensitive of you imo, to feel it was mean -- I would say lazy too. It takes just a little more effort to get what you need done accomplished without making others feel small, and I think people who won't do this are a bit up themselves>

Tuo Sun 12-May-13 01:31:55

Sorry... passing through in haste again tonight. I've been locked in mortal combat with my printer (which has 'eaten' all my paper and not printed my document!) and have to get up at 5.30 a.m. to go off to a conference for work for a couple of days.

Will be thinking of you all and praying as I go.

Badvoc Sun 12-May-13 08:21:01

Mome.
I don't think it was a very nice thing to say to say to anyone, let alone a 5 year old.
sad
I can see why you are upset.
And ESP if he reminds you of your dad.
At least your dd wasnt upset.
BES...have you looked at rrt for your Dds dyspraxia? It helped my ds1 a lot.
X

Thanks ladies. Everything you all said was helpful.

I think it stirred up a lot of feelings. I was treated very badly by my Dad growing up and he would say all sorts of things to me in anger and the dynamics have followed into adulthood and he still feels he can say as he wishes, but now to my kids! Which is why I no longer see him.

It's very hard not to feel my brother was doing the same. They're similar. He tries to be a better Dad to his own son but I felt that he'd never talk to his own son like that, why my child?

I still feel awful this morning about it and my family in general. I was the scapegoat growing up and my self esteem and confidence are often low. I want to protect my kids from the same.

He tried to ask nicely but it wasn't a direct request really just a passive comment iyswim? Math's approach works best with her. So he snapped. It made my stomach lurch as I heard him do it sad She'd been trying so hard all afternoon.

BlackeyedSusan Sun 12-May-13 18:22:48

just aa quick pop in while the computer is working. it is being very tempermental. and I may not be able to get back on. please pray that it keeps working as I have stuff to do this week.

BlackeyedSusan Mon 13-May-13 09:50:51

I m still here. had difficulty booting and had to go to the bios page, but not sure what I did to get it started as I could not see where the problem was. (it is often the date reset) h is going to look for a new computer and we will see if we can jiggle finances about a bit.

BlackeyedSusan Mon 13-May-13 09:51:47

oh and we have lost the remote and it is a disaster to the children.

BlackeyedSusan Mon 13-May-13 11:45:39

well, the remote appeared, I have also found the dustpan as an added bonus so I can give the floor a sweep before hoovering, the living room looks worse (why does it always do that?) there re 50 million pieces of black cotton and material to clean up after last weeks sewing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now