Is an Ivory communion dress ok?

(34 Posts)
PotPourri Fri 29-Mar-13 16:14:52

Got 2 white ones from family, both are massive on DD. Have another ivory dress that fits (bridesmaid one). Will it be ok to use do you think?

SKHOOLE Thu 18-Apr-13 23:37:31

Hi. I have read this thread but am still unsure about the whole ivory communion dress thing. Any more thoughts... My daughter's not too bothered about the dress - just wants one that isn't 'scratchy' / uncomfortable. Saw one on ebay and got it for £11 which she looks lovely in and she likes. Trouble is, it is ivory and whilst it is plain compared to others I've seen it does have appliqued flowers (in the same cotton fabric the dress is made from) on the skirt. Have just reread this - it sounds awful - but it is a simple, pretty dress ... it's just irritating that it's ivory.

LynetteScavo Sun 07-Apr-13 12:42:43

Yes, Gingerdodger I think there are 300 shades of white, or something.

I've just bought some bridesmaids shoes from the JL website which say "will go with any ivory or white dress" Apparently.

PotPourri I think ivory will look gorgeous with red hair.

Gingerdodger Sun 07-Apr-13 11:29:29

I don't think there is such a thing as white white as the different materials all make the dresses appear different shades. If she is happy and you are happy will just be a beautiful day.

Dds was a very simple ivory affair. It looked lovely and nobody commented that it wasn't white white.

LynetteScavo Sat 06-Apr-13 19:36:17

There

LynetteScavo Sat 06-Apr-13 19:35:31

I've found some ivoryish shoes - please come and tell me off white is ok.....we are only having 5 dc at a time taking their FHC so it's not like their is going to be lots of completion on the day.

I'm still looking at dresses on line and am contemplating a 400 mile round trip to the shop in Berkshire. Dh thinks I'm being ridiculous.

I bought DD1's shoes from the BHS bridesmaid range - admittedly a few years ago. Looking in there recently they all seemed to be shades of ivory, so may be a good place to start if you want a satin pair.

Gingerdodger Sat 06-Apr-13 15:31:05

Next did a few last year and I ordered 3 different pairs and just took back the ones we didn't want. They did vary in their 'whiteness' though, maybe just need to try some up against the dress and see what suits.

LynetteScavo Sat 06-Apr-13 13:50:39

Ok dd's dress arrived and although it was sold as white it's defiantly off- white in the way silk is ( although its not silk). The style and matching cardigan and veil are all really lovely and I don't want to start trawling the shops again so will probably be sticking with it........so what do people do about shoes for such dresses? White shoes won't look quite right, will they?

Gingerdodger Sun 31-Mar-13 18:09:44

Communions seem to go in fashions in our church. A few years ago we had a couple of years of dresses which seemed very bridal which looked too grown up for 8 year olds but the last 3 or 4 years seem to have gone back to little girl dresses with short socks. I suppose it is as the girls and parents compare notes.

Veil wise is usually about half with veils and half with some kind of tiara or hairpiece. Girls told not to wear gloves for the service itself as they get too fiddley but very few bother with gloves.

Much easier with boys!

I tried on a very pale pink wedding dress which was gorgeous.

armagh Sun 31-Mar-13 16:04:24

I've seen a pale pink Communion dress. Talk about looking for notice!!!!

sweetkitty Sun 31-Mar-13 16:02:37

My DD1 makes hers in May and as I am not RC this is all new to me. Her dress is white, adorned with pearls and sparkles but not gypsy wedding like, she has a matching tiara and a veil, her hair will be a bun with the veil behind. She's wearing socks too.

Now DD2 will make hers next year probably in the plainest white dress with white converse, no veil or tiara or sparkles.

Can you not get a white dress taken in? I personally wouldn't want DD1 to be the only one in ivory.

LynetteScavo Sun 31-Mar-13 15:56:14

Risk from candles? Seriously? grin

I will make sure DD stays away from the candles.

MrsSham Sun 31-Mar-13 15:54:43

I think because of risk from candles that's my dsis told me. My nephew made his 2 years ago and my niece last year and both years were told no veils.

LynetteScavo Sun 31-Mar-13 15:42:30

MrsSham, DD can have a veil, but can't have gloves.

Why have you been told no veil?

1944girl Sun 31-Mar-13 00:10:43

My grandaughter made her first Holy Communion last year.I made her dress from the same material that I used for her baptism dress, dupioni silk which was described as white but as pure silk never looks white it was off white in colour.It was perfectly plain with full gathered skirt and big sash.I get a lace veil for her though.None of the girls with her were overdressed because the children's catachists had told us not to overdo it.
On the photos my DGD's dress looked white.Some of the girls had ivory coloured dresses though, some had veils and some did not.

MrsSham Sat 30-Mar-13 21:30:04

I know what you mean lynette I have been looking at communion dresses since baptism gowns. Dd makes her communion next year and I just know ill spend so much time looking ill actually never get one ordered.

MrsSham Sat 30-Mar-13 21:24:33

Check if she can have a veil I know my dd can't sad

chipmonkey Sat 30-Mar-13 21:09:53

A lot of little girls around here seem to wear ivory dresses and this is catholic Ireland! I think ivory is much nicer than white.

LynetteScavo Sat 30-Mar-13 20:18:35

I too want DD to look like she has stepped out of the 40s/50's (hence the socks).

I think I will be going for a veil, rather than the daisy circlet which seems popular.

I also think the type of dress if very dependent on your parish. Small villages will see floaty Monsoon type dresses, and towns with a large proportion of Eastern Europeans will have more floor length satin dresses.

Obviously I haven't given this much thought. Oh no!
DD's first communion is in 8 weeks, and after looking at dresses for the past 6 years, I still haven't ordered one!

MrsSham Fri 29-Mar-13 23:00:48

I love that dress woodchuck. I think that is very old fashioned traditional, IYSWIM. As in simple maybe 50s look. I found a picture of my mum in her communion dress, very stylish knee length 40s look and I so want to replicate that for dd.

MrsSham Fri 29-Mar-13 22:56:27

Lots of untraditional type communion dresses at my nieces communion last year. I'm pretty sure it will be OK. As in traditional I mean either lace or satin, white, gloves, ankle socks, head dress, etc. Many very modern type cotton creams, off whites, earthy fairy type looks.

I think anything works, TBH.

woodchuck Fri 29-Mar-13 22:40:28

I am going through this too. My MIL kindly offered to but DD's dress. We couldn't get it instore so ordered online. It looked very much white on the web pics http://uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_3,mon_3.3,mon_3.3.3/3583222623, but is definitely ivory when i received the order. There are big changes afoot at DD's school this year after the gypsy wedding affair that went down last year (think kids with hairdressers, full make up, limos, hiring restaurants for 'after-party'). Our priest has insisted that all communium children need to attend a structured chatechism programme, families need to attend church regularly (fine by me) and parish will take a staggered approach to this year's communion with only 6 children making first holy communion each week over an 8 week period.

From my DD's point of bview, she likes the dress and wants to wear it. TBH, I was tempted to send her in white jeans, new white converse and a white denim jacket but MIL nearly had an aneurysm. MIL is worried that the dres isn't white, and that people will talk, but I don't really care. My dd is the only girl making communion that day, so there will be nobody to compare her to IYSWIM.

I would take your cur from your daughter. My DD had a very clear idea about what her dress shoul/should not mbe. She had a say in choosing the dress and she will be happy in it on the day, and that is all that matters to me.

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Fri 29-Mar-13 22:31:06

Fair enough.

My friends DD is the biggest tomboy ever and hasn't worn a dress since she was about 1. Her dress was ivory and she wore cream leggings underneath. It was the plainest thing ever. She ruined it on the climbing frame straight after the church thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now