The Muslim Tearoom

(1000 Posts)
HardlyEverHoovers Wed 20-Mar-13 15:25:06

Salaams/peace to all! I'm already missing our old thread, so taking the bull by the horns and opening our very own Muslim Tearoom, all welcome (non-Muslims too of course), to chat, share, ask questions etc etc. Imagine a cosy cafe with floor cushions, tea and coffee of all kinds, and lovely cakes! Please join me!

WaynettaSlobsLover Mon 25-Mar-13 10:07:57

Wow ok THAT was weird!!

You're having a boy mashaallah how lovely! Have you got other dc's too? I love zaki, Zaid, Mohsin, Musa and Adam for boys names

HardlyEverHoovers Mon 25-Mar-13 20:34:02

Haha, lostandfound, I read that as your DH had never been in your mums house, made sense of the second reading though! Congrats to pregnant ladies. There are so many lovely girls names to choose from...

Crescent, the transfer to Maliki is under review, which means I'm in madhab limbo at the moment. Not a good place to be, it's a long story.

I think it's not too difficult to relearn the rules, most are the same, but when I studied the Maliki prayer there are some things that were just soooo wierd, like if you accidentally pray without hijab your prayer is still valid!

nailak Mon 25-Mar-13 21:58:15

i have accidently prayed without hijab, fajr, was still half asleep.

Girls names, I like, Aafia,, Saffiya, Nusaybah and Nafisah because of the namesakes.

Moominsarehippos Tue 26-Mar-13 09:14:23

Prayer is from the heart. Many people mouth the words but don't feel the sentiment.

WaynettaSlobsLover Tue 26-Mar-13 09:27:00

I find myself really lapsing in concentration though, especially when the kids are whining or screaming and I'm trying to pray. It's the worst thing. My ds finally knows at least not to walk in front of me. Anyone have tips on concentrating with that proper khushoor?

nailak Tue 26-Mar-13 14:58:57

I don't get it tbh, coz if you prayed like Allah SWT was in front of you, you would never get up from sujood....

scottishmummy Tue 26-Mar-13 15:04:43

Salaam,Make mine a mint tea please
I make nice tablet it's v sweets Scottish delicacy

scottishmummy Tue 26-Mar-13 15:14:55

Saw on a thread someone said about food as diplomacy,that made me smile
We Have done that at work,so many festivals that always nice grub on go
My friends mum,she's a samosa queen.and there tasty.my kids love them

LostAndNeverFound Tue 26-Mar-13 19:10:00

hardly yes my DH has his own shed in the garden that he sleeps in grin

waynetta I have two DD's already. The eldest has a non muslim name as she's a revert too (my DH isn't her dad). I love the names Samera, Aman/Amana, Imaan, Atteya, Eiliyah, Laila, Saffiya, Sameya, Ummaya, Amaya. The list is endless!

Boys names, I love Zakariya/Zaki, Rehan, Hasan, Rafi. Again the list is endless. We have our boys name though and I didn't get a say. My father in law said he liked this name a few days before he passed away, so it was then an unspoken decision. I'm not that keen on it but I'm sure once he's here it'll grow on me! I hope so anyway!

I think I said on the previous thread I'm interested in learning about the different madhabs. I was talking to my sister in law today about it and it seems they're also in limbo too hardly, and have been all their lives! Their dad was sunni (hanafi) and their mum is shia!! They mainly follow hanafi though, but it still gets confusing though apparently!

WaynettaSlobsLover Tue 26-Mar-13 20:32:07

Nailak even though that's true, do you seriously never have lapses in concentration due to your children? It's easy to say to someone but much harder to do in my experience.

I'll have some of that Scottish tablet please ScottishMummy grin it's one of my favourite sweet things to eat! Hope everyone's evening is a nice one inshallah.

crescentmoon Tue 26-Mar-13 20:58:43

wow salam and welcome scottishmummy very happy to see you here. i love tablet i buy it sometimes from a sweetshop in town that sells mainly american products. i found it in a big jar next to the normal fudge and clotted cream fudge and tried it and absolutely loved it. very delicious! hardly makes amazing mint tea, sister you need to post up the recipe for the tea you pmed me. i read it and thought 'thats why it tastes so delicious!' but honestly it has so many steps its like cooking! i use these tea bags

www.amazon.co.uk/Lipton-Morocco-Mint-Spices-Pyramid/dp/B002HQGN9W

from my local tescos which are delicious and you just bung them into a mug of hot water, wait a few minutes and delicious spiced tea! my favourite tea though is.....cardamom tea! specifically,

www.ahmadtea.com/online-store/cardamon.html

this one, which has a strong cardamom flavour. with carnation evaporated milk, a single clove, half stick cinnamon, 2tsp sugar, ahhh, one of the few pleasures in this dunya since we cant have wine wink wink

i think with the ritual prayer the completing the ablutions before it, praying it in its proper time, the physical standing, bowing, prostrating, it would be sad to do all that without any concentration. but i think even in performing it for the sake of Allah not to show off to anyone around you i think it has its own reward. or at least the discharging of a wajib ibadah. anyway i dont know if i have full concentration but its something im working to.

but you know what waynetta and lost. one of the key differences in the hanafi and shaafiee prayer is that when praying behind an imam once a hanafi begins the salah they only need to follow the actions the fatiha recitation of the imam suffices for the whole congregation. whereas in shaafiee fiqh each individual must recite the fatiha personally, not just the imam.

as for dogs i think the hunting dogs the Quran referred to were the Saluki breed that the Arabs used to train for hunting gazelle and other animals.

www.thenational.ae/guide/historical/flora-and-fauna/salukis

www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/200803/a.king.and.two.salukis.htm

some people say it is only these dogs that are exempt from the washing 7 times rule, no others!

scottishmummy Tue 26-Mar-13 21:26:20

I just do infusion of fresh mint leaves in teapot is there a recipe?

nailak Tue 26-Mar-13 21:51:37

no waynetta is defo not easy!

crescentmoon Tue 26-Mar-13 21:57:37

that tea pot is a good looking tea pot. like something youd see on the jetsons.

ok here is how hardly told me to make moroccan mint tea...

"These amounts are for about half of a large teapot, the amount of sugar and tea you need will vary according to your taste.

Boil a full kettle of water.

Put 4 tea spoons of china green tea in the teapot.

Put a little boiled water in the pot, enough to immerse the tea.

Leave for 2 minutes, and then pour this water into a cup. This is the 'pure tea'.

Then wash the tea 3 times, by putting about the same amount of boiled water in the pot, swilling, and pouring away.

Now fill the pot about half full with boiled water, and put on a moderate heat (hob or open fire!)

When the tea starts to rise to the top, turn off.

Fill a tea glass about three quarters full of sugar.

Pour tea onto the sugar and mix into a syrup.

Pour this into the pot.

Leave to stand for a little while, and at this point you can add any other ingredients (not orange blossom in your case). Perhaps a handful of fresh mint, or my favourite is dried rose petals and a little musk(mmmmm)."

i will make my special 'qudratul qadr' cake - (the power of God) cake grand name for a grand cake!

scottishmummy Tue 26-Mar-13 22:05:46

Could see me doing that recipe at weekend when not rushing about
Lol,Jetsons teapot
Roses and musk where do you get that,are they dried?

crescentmoon Thu 28-Mar-13 19:59:09

Still waiting for hardly to come back to answer about the dried roses and musk! Hope everyone is doing well.

HardlyEverHoovers Fri 29-Mar-13 13:37:31

Salaam, sorry for the disappearing act, busy few days, but I am now offically, 'just a housewife', alhamdulillah! Sorry, slightly cryptic just trying not to our myself.
Thanks for posting the tea recipe crescent, and be warned, an expert can tell if you skip one of these seemingly unnecessary stages. I have tried this on mornings when I'm in a rush and lo and behold DH would say "did you only wash the tea once?"!
Scottishmummy the roses are dried and the musk is a little square block of something I would previously have thought should be rubbed on the skin. They were from my DH's home country, but think you could probably get dried roses from here. Certainly fresh mint is easy to come by.
Nailak I so know what you mean about if you had kushoor you would never up from sujood. It's quite an overwhelming thought. For me, perfecting the outer aspects of the prayer is part of remaining present in the prayer, rather than drifting off an thinking about the dinner!
Oh and nailak I dreamt that I met you in real life!

Cuddledup Mon 01-Apr-13 13:03:34

WOW that tea recipe sounds amazing Crescent.
If anyone is interested in modest clothing I've just bought a really nice maxi skirt and palazzo trousers from Kettlewellcolours. I know I'm not Muslim but I like the idea of wearing maxi skirts (for a start they're warmer!! )
www.kettlewellcolours.co.uk/
Hope you're all having a good weekend / bank holiday.

HardlyEverHoovers Tue 02-Apr-13 16:16:24

That's a nice shop cuddledup, I've not seen it before. Muslims definately aren't the only ones who appreciate clothes that cover you up a bit more! Have you seen www.shukr.co.uk, my non-Muslim sister really liked some jeans I had from there are got them for herself, they do lovely skirts as well.

crescentmoon Tue 02-Apr-13 18:57:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nailak Thu 04-Apr-13 01:26:13

there are some really good sisters who make custom abayahs on face book, personally i buy mine from ebay or green st £25- £30 is total maximum end of my budget!

nailak Thu 04-Apr-13 01:27:03

any of you interested in attending family funday in manor park on sun? whoever lives near pm me i will tell u details!

crescentmoon Thu 04-Apr-13 10:19:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nailak Thu 04-Apr-13 21:29:31

the one who birthed you. according to Islam. as far as I understand.

nailak Thu 04-Apr-13 21:30:21

I mean even children who are adopted are still attributed to their parents and their mother still has greatest rights over them (orphan in Islam is one whose dad has died)

This thread is not accepting new messages.