Medium, how did she do this?

(98 Posts)
greener2 Fri 08-Mar-13 10:29:17

Hi,
I am fascinated and have been to see a few people who i concluded were trying to cold read me and so terminated and did not pay,
However i did see someone the other day and am struggling to see whether she is real or not. She did numerology and a reading.
The first thing she said to me was the midlands, who is in the midlands? I said i am from there (but we had spoken on the phone and maybe she just picked up my accent) she kept asking who is there now and i said family and friends, she said birmingham who is there, my husband works there and she immediately said he is stressed. He is.
During the reading she gave me several names of which they didnt mean anything to me.
But she knew things like that i had moved in feb 2012, asked what the number 14 was (it was the number of my old house i moved from), said i had a son and daughter and was worried about one of them in the education sector (i am worried she is autistic) and that i didnt know whether to stay where i was or move back to the midlands again true.

Did she cold read me or is this gift possible?

Want to believe but find it hard as a lot was in the future, i.e my husband is going to get a job opportunity which will make mour decision for us and we will move aug/sept.

Obviously this hasnt happened yet!

Thanks

greener2 Tue 12-Mar-13 19:51:55

I will repeat, i have not given a name. Only had me calling from a mobile number which doesnt have any info about me...

noblegiraffe Wed 13-Mar-13 01:47:36

I knew someone at uni who worked on a psychic phone line. He definitely wasn't psychic, just a bullshitter.

AllThumbs Wed 13-Mar-13 02:02:12

If you think that was an impressive reading you must be a mediums dream lol.

NandH Wed 13-Mar-13 02:03:29

do you have facebook or any sort of online thingy bob? it's not hard to pick up the sort of info she has got about you.

don't get me wrong, I'm into woo, but she hasn't got all that great info really :-/

alwayslateforwork Wed 13-Mar-13 03:05:31

I was walking down Guildford high street and got stopped by a lucky heather seller - I apologized as I didn't have any cash on me, but said I was going to the cash point and then to buy a sandwich, and if I saw her on the way back up the hill I would buy some then. She gave me a bunch anyway, free of charge, and told me I was going to have a lucky day.

Dd1 was with me, and she had never seen a lucky heather seller before, so we talked a bit about superstition, and luck and whatnot. Anyway, we went to the cash point and it was heaving, queue about 5 deep outside m&S. the woman in front of us walked away and the ATM kept churning out cash. Dd1's face was a picture. I realized the woman had walked away without her money, so turned round and just saw the woman disappearing into the crowds up the hill - I told dd1 to run and get her whilst I grabbed all the cash (several hundred pounds).

Anyway, the woman came back, obviously very grateful, and tried to give us half of the money as a thank you. I said no, but she insisted on giving dd1 £20 to buy a book with. ('Mummy, she knew!')

Well, as you can imagine, dd1 was beside herself. We got our cash, bought a sandwich, (and a book, lol) and later on went back up the hill. I saw the lucky heather seller, and got dd1 to go and give her some money for the heather she had given us earlier.

The seller came over, grasped my hands, told me that she just wanted me to know our huge overseas move would work out all right, despite my worries, and that it would all be okay. By this point, dd1 had her jaw on the ground, eyes like saucers.

For the rest of the day, all I heard was 'but how did she KNOW?'

At the time, dh had received a posting order to Canada but we had been told that we may not be able to go with him (dd2 has a physical disability - we had packed up our entire house and sent our belongings, but they had not yet confirmed that they could meet dd2's needs in the school etc. our entire lives were literally hanging... And i was stressed to my eyeballs about it). She was very specific, and knew I was worried specifically about a health issue to do with the move.

No idea whether it was a lucky guess or not. Dd1 and I were just having a shopping day and we had been to the hairdresser. Nothing about us screeched 'international move in jeopardy' as far as I could tell - and I hadn't been talking about it with dd1, as we were trying to downplay the 'your sister might not be allowed to come' line...

I went with my friend who wanted company to a medium. It was quite funny. We were giving away absolutely nothing. In the end she kind of gave up and told my friend that she would end up in a dusty, windswept place with horses. She's 48 now and has never been near a horse in her life. She was emigrating to Melbourne at the time. Nada. I do frequently email and ask her if she's met that rancher who's going to drag her out to the bush forever...

I am not remotely woo. But I do wonder about that heather seller. (We did come to Canada with the army and then emigrated, fact fans)

bluebeardsbabe Wed 13-Mar-13 10:46:04

Always. what a lovely story. the best readings I find are always the random onessmile

AllThumbs Wed 13-Mar-13 13:55:40

When my mum was a girl her and a friend went to see a fortune teller in one of those booths on the pier. My mum went in first and got the usual "I see you crossing water", generic guff.

Her friend went in next and was out within seconds. The fortune teller had taken one look at her and said "I won't read for you. I'm not taking your money".

The friend was most perplexed and they spent the rest of the afternoon joking that the fortune teller must have been desperate for a wee or something.

A week later the friends housecoat sleeve caught fire while she was cooking and she burned to death.

greener2 Wed 20-Mar-13 20:44:36

Yep heard that one before smile

Anyway, got my money back so that's good

Zideq Wed 20-Mar-13 20:55:53

Your medium should go for the million dollar prize.

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html

greener2 Thu 21-Mar-13 13:09:01

Yeah I think we have covered that before...
Still intrigued though lol!

greener2 Mon 16-Sep-13 19:56:03

just a quick update, I find it interesting that she was adamant that a job offer would come in for my husband sept and guess what...
we have been waiting for one for nearly 2 years.
Bit odd or maybe co incidence but there we go.

headinhands Mon 16-Sep-13 20:51:38

1 in 12 chance aren't dire odds. Why didn't she give the company name? In your op the medium said a house move in aug/sept didn't she? Finding new and appropriate employment often takes a few months.

greener2 Tue 17-Sep-13 08:44:32

Sorry it said he would have a job op late aug and offer sept which meant we could
Move house. He applied late aug and offer sept which
Means we can look for a house. I understand what you are saying re one in 12 chance, didn't give the name as she said it would be the same as what he is doing now just different area which is right. I thought yeah sure this will happen lol and haven't told my husband anyway so did find it funny when he said a job had come up late aug..

It never fails to amaze me that people pay strangers to let them guess who they are and what they are feeling, and expect to learn something or get any kind of insight about themselves from it.

I reckon a lot of people are stressed or have stressed husbands. A lot of women our age has kids of school age, and a lot of us worry about something related to school. Dont be daft.

And a lot of us are looking for new/better jobs, and few make a career change into something totally new.

curlew Tue 17-Sep-13 08:53:47

Have a look at Derren Brown doing cold reading on UTube.

And sit and think and see if you can remember all th things she said that didn't have any connection- you only remember the ones that you feel apply to you, but she will have scattergunned loads of others.

greener2 Tue 17-Sep-13 10:43:29

don't be daft lol! That made me laugh. Ok will do but honestly I am very sceptical myself and didn't offer things but yes I hear you smile

curlew Tue 17-Sep-13 10:47:05

If you're very sceptical why are you wasting time, money and headspace on this rubbish?

greener2 Tue 17-Sep-13 12:04:47

Curiosity and hey I haven't spent much and it doesn't control my life so no need to be so cutting I find it all fascinating do
Just having a discussion about it all really that's all

What is fascinating is how easily normally rational people are taken in by all sorts of mumbo jumbo!

I guess we all just need to believe something ...

iloveweetos Tue 17-Sep-13 16:25:25

I love reading things like this. allthumbs what a scary story!

bit different, but my friend can read palms and her dad, grandad etc have all been able to. She doesn't like to do it much for the reason of reading something like death etc and its not something she wants to pursue.
but i get her to do mine whenever i feel like i need motivation (lol im ridiculous - but maybe once or twice a year)
When we met, she read my hand and it was freaky...she only knew my name, but could see i had a daughter and how i was feeling with things at the moment, and things that have happened in the past. I didn't believe one bit, but was so gobsmacked. When i had met DP she read things about his life and past that was so freakishly accurate and i hadn't told her. and they weren't vague names or numbers etc, but big events.

I wouldn't pay to have a reading though lol it is all very interesting

greener have you had any readings since?

iloveweetos Tue 17-Sep-13 16:25:55

i didn't believe before meeting her*

greener2 Tue 17-Sep-13 17:49:55

No readings since why do you ask?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now